Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 12:53 am
If I use the third person to write something as below, is this style just acceptable today? Or it is a good style? Or actually the style is too old? Thanks.

OristarA:"Do you think (1) and (2) are clear?"

Roberta:"Oristar, They're both clear. The first could use a bit of rewriting. "

OristarA:"Thank you Roberta. Would you like to rewrite the (1)? "

cicerone imposter:"I don't see the need, but Roberta is the expert."

Roberta:"'A well-thought-out plan made in advance' is redundant."

OristarA:"I assumed the why of "a well-thought-out plan made in advance is redundant" is because "a well-though-out plan" must be made in advance. Am I on the right track, Roberta?"

New Haven:"Roberta is the expert. I was happy to pass English, when I was in College!!"

Roberta:"Oristar, Yes!! You are definitely on the right track."

OristarA:"Roberta, thank you again!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,604 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:06 am
And your question is?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:33 am
Setanta wrote:
And your question is?

Oh my God...

I have expressed my question clearly --
I have used the third person to depict a conversation, is this style just acceptable today? Or it is a good style? Or actually the style is too old?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 09:55 am
It was an unclear question oristarA, because as an example you used other questions but also because third person is a common voice.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:33 pm
Oristar, The way in which you've set up the conversation is usually reserved for plays and other kinds of scripts. It's not out of date, just specialized. When you use this style (the name of the speaker followed by a colon), there is no need for quotation marks.

If you're purpose is to write quotations in a general narrative, the style to follow is the simply put the quotation within quotation marks and indicate who is saying what. However, if, in your narrative, you have conversation, then the style to follow is different. In this case you would start each new bit of conversation on a new line. Like this:

"Do you think (1) and (2) are clear?" asked Oristar.

"Oristar, They're both clear. The first could use a bit of rewriting," responded Roberta. Oristar then said,

"Thank you Roberta. Would you like to rewrite the (1)?" Then cicerone imposter chimed in,

"I don't see the need, but Roberta is the expert."

"'A well-thought-out plan made in advance' is redundant," added Roberta.

Oristar, I hope that I've answered your question. The fact is that I'm not sure what you were seeking to find out. But I think I'm somewhere in the ballpark. Yankee Stadium on a cool spring day. Ah, but I digress.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 11:05 pm
Roberta, Yes! You've been in the right ballpark. What a cool player in Yankee Stadium! Oh, hope I didn't digress.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 02:03 am
Oristar, I'm glad I answered your question. And they don't let women play in the major leagues. But, even if they did, I wouldn't have been one of them. My hand-eye coordination leaves a great deal to be desired. Specifically what it leaves to be desired is coordination. But I'm a Yankee fan. I grew up near Yankee Stadium. So I remember fondly cutting school to go to opening day--a cool spring day.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:44 am
Hehe. I am afraid you had several times cut school to watch them play in Yankee Stadium. But I meant, if that sport is called "Yankee language", you would be a cool player there!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:59 am
Oh. Now I've got it. Thanks, oristar. I'm definitely better with the language than I am with sports. And just think how much better I might be if I hadn't cut school. Who knows what I missed on the days I was at Yankee Stadium.
0 Replies