Questionnaire

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 01:29 am
This questionnaire is designed purely for a education project. And there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. Your opinion is wanted. Please give an answer for all the questions. If you change your mind about an answer, just cross it out and circle another. We really appreciate your kindness and help.

Demographic information:
Gender (circle): Female Male
Age group: 15-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 55-64 65 and above
Your country: America Australia Britain Canada New Zealand
Is English your first language: Yes No

Next, you will read two situation descriptions, each followed by a conversation between two speakers. After reading through the conversation, please complete a short questionnaire based on your native speaker's intuition.
Situation 1: You are reading a newspaper, while waiting for the school bus at the station at one university. At this time, a man with a pile of paper and a pen in hand walks up to you and says the following words. (Note: you know the bus won't come for another 8 minutes.)
Man: (speaks awkwardly with a STRONG Asian accent) Hello. (you look up.) This questio…questionnaire is TO know YOUR idea on a CONCERT. It WILL cost… eh…5 minute of YOU. DO this questionnaire…eh… FOR me, ok? (hands you the pen and a piece of paper)

Please tell us your feelings by answering the following questions:
1) Are you WILLING to help him, ON HEARING that? 1 Not willing. 2 I'm willing.
2) Do you feel comfortable with this exchange? 1 No 2 Just ok 3 Yes
3) If there is anything that makes you feel that you are not willing to help, how much effect could that factor (listed below) affect on your negative feeling?
No effect Little effect Some effect Much effect Strong effect
A. His appearance 1 2 3 4 5
B. His nationality 1 2 3 4 5
C. Bus is coming soon 1 2 3 4 5
D. His strong accent 1 2 3 4 5
E. His bad grammar 1 2 3 4 5
F. I am not easygoing 1 2 3 4 5
G. His sex (male) 1 2 3 4 5
H. My present mood 1 2 3 4 5
I. Didn't say "please" 1 2 3 4 5
J. His remarks are impolite 1 2 3 4 5
K. English not fluent 1 2 3 4 5
L. No interest in the concert 1 2 3 4 5
M. Disturbed my reading 1 2 3 4 5
N. Sounds like a command 1 2 3 4 5
O. Sounds his English is poor1 2 3 4 5

Situation 2: Suppose that you work in the personnel department and are busy with quarterly staff appraisal things. A man knocks at your door and comes in.
Man: (speaks awkwardly with a STRONG Asian accent) I am Leo Chou from…eh…finance department. Now, I need the exact work title of an apprentice, named William Burns. He work for us last summer. And I also need to know which department he worked. (Note: you keep a record of all this information. He has the authority to ask for such information.)

Could you please tell us your feelings after listening to the previous conversation by answering the following questions?
4) Are you WILLING to help him, ON HEARING that? 1 Not willing. 2 I'm willing.
5) Do you feel comfortable with this exchange? 1 No 2 Just ok 3 Yes
6) If there is anything that makes you feel that you are not willing to help, how much effect could that factor (listed below) affect on your negative feeling?
No effect Little effect Some effect Much effect Strong effect
A. His nationality 1 2 3 4 5
B. I am busy 1 2 3 4 5
C. His appearance 1 2 3 4 5
D. His bad grammar 1 2 3 4 5
E. I am always helpful 1 2 3 4 5
F. His sex (male) 1 2 3 4 5
G. My present mood 1 2 3 4 5
H. Didn't say "please" 1 2 3 4 5
I. His Strong accent 1 2 3 4 5
J. His remarks are impolite 1 2 3 4 5
K. English not fluent 1 2 3 4 5
L. Disturb my work 1 2 3 4 5
M. Sounds like a command 1 2 3 4 5
N. Sounds his English is bad 1 2 3 4 5

7) If in the first situation, the man says in standard and fluent English, what's your rating then?
Will you help? 1 Not willing. 2 I'm still willing.
8) If in the second situation, the man says in standard and fluent English, what's your rating then?
Will you help? 1 Not willing. 2 I'm still willing.
9) When you hear an impolite request, do you think you will feel better (or forgive him/her) if it is a foreigner who is speaking rather than a native speaker?
I feel 1 even worse 2 the same 3 better

Thank you so much for your time and help!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 03:04 am
Isn't this the same questionnaire you posted here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2571542#2571542
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 07:41 am
Yes it is, and it got 2 answers then (2 months ago) This is the wrong place to post things like this. Nobody has the time to answer so many questions, and I suspect that a questionnaire is not the right method to find out what I think frank1987512 wants to know.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:10 am
Contrex-maybe he's trying to recreate the scenario in a safe way-maybe his mother won't let him go hang out at bus stops and solicit information from people.

Demographic information:
Gender (circle): Female
Age group: 45-54
Your country: American/ living in Britain
Is English your first language: Yes

I would partcipate in both situations. None of the factors listed below would have any effect on my willingness to do that, unless he was impolite-but I don't interpret either of the requests as they were presented to be impolite in any way.

So I guess you can use my response and fill in all ones-none of those issues in the situations you describe would have an effect on my willingness to participate in either situation.

*Just as an aside though, you might generalize the reality that you are getting so few responses here, where people have time to participate at their leisure and choose not to, as indicative as how few responses you might get on the street.

The work situation would most probably be a different story.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
Demographic information:
Gender (circle): Female Male
Age group: 15-24 25-34 35-44 45-54 55-64 65 and above
Your country: America Australia Britain Canada New Zealand
Is English your first language: Yes No

Female
45-54
America
yes

I would probably very politely decline the first, since it is a public setting, he is male, and I care nothing for concerts.

I would be totally comfortable in the second.

The grammar has nothing to do with it. I live in Austin, Texas, a cosmepolitan city. We are used to all types here.

And, frankly, the grammar of many of our own people--for everyday speech--isn't what it should be anyway, including mine at times.
0 Replies

frank1987512

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 01:35 am
oh ,because i got so few responses in that topics that i hope to get more responses in different forums. Thank you four suggestion and you sincerely help.
0 Replies