Poll: Bias Alive and Well in Press

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
Sorry, didn't know that. Here in Europe, the press is just the press (= traditional newspapers and news magazines produced on printing presses), tv is tv, etc .
All together is called media.

Leant something new again.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:33 pm
Most people DO buy their favorite newspaper when it is available. But most newstands offer mostly left leaning publications as CJ listed and these are not the favorites of Conservatives.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:37 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Sorry, didn't know that. Here in Europe, the press is just the pres, tv is tv, etc .
All together is called media.

Leant something new again.

Even if it is limited to just print, the poll is lumping all "press" together. I guess what I am trying to say is that the poll results don't mean that those same people don't think that there isn't any conservative press.

To get the results the poll shows, that 97% would just have to believe that if they weighed "liberal press" vs. "conservative press" on a scale, at least 51% of the press would fall on the "liberal press" side.

I think the whole thing is fairly dubious to begin with. Back during the 1990s CNN was commonly referred to as the "Clinton News Network" by many conservatives. When Bush took office the left howled at CNNs coverage and CNN suddenly became "Bush apologists".

Now of course, CNN has Lou Dobbs writing editorials and he has his own little following amongs the U.S. left that is going as far as talking about trying to convince him to run for President.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
Quote:
Now of course, CNN has Lou Dobbs writing editorials and he has his own little following amongs the U.S. left that is going as far as talking about trying to convince him to run for President.

As an active member of said U.S. Left, I can tell you that any group talking about convincing Lou Dobbs to run for President isn't just small, it's undetectably small.

Compare that to say, the Tancredo supporters on the Right. We all have our brand of crazy...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
fishin wrote:
Even if it is limited to just print, the poll is lumping all "press" together. I guess what I am trying to say is that the poll results don't mean that those same people don't think that there isn't any conservative press.

The poll correctly states

Zogby Poll wrote:
97% of Republicans surveyed said the media are liberal.

The Washington Times reduced media to press.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

As an active member of said U.S. Left, I can tell you that any group talking about convincing Lou Dobbs to run for President isn't just small, it's undetectably small.

Compare that to say, the Tancredo supporters on the Right. We all have our brand of crazy...

Cycloptichorn

The initial number of supporters for Perot, Kucinich, Nadar and Dean was fairly small as I recall as well. But the numbers have little to do with the inital comment.

The people that are trying to convince Lou Dobbs to run, as well as those who have suggested Jon Stewart, aren't moderate-Democrats. They are almost entirely well to the left and they were very critical of CNN's coverage of Bush early in his 1st term. Now that CNN is featuring Dobbs' editorials CNN seems to have become a "neutral" (if not left-leaning) media source in the minds of many.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:04 pm
fishin wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

The initial number of supporters for Perot, Kucinich, Nadar and Dean was fairly small as I recall as well. But the numbers have little to do with the inital comment.

The people that are trying to convince Lou Dobbs to run, as well as those who have suggested Jon Stewart, aren't moderate-Democrats. They are almost entirely well to the left and they were very critical of CNN's coverage of Bush early in his 1st term. Now that CNN is featuring Dobbs' editorials CNN seems to have become a "neutral" (if not left-leaning) media source in the minds of many.

I don't think anyone is seriously calling for, recruiting, or trying to get Lou Dobbs or Stewart to run.

Of course every presidential candidate has a point in which noone is supporting them, and then a point in which someone is. We're talking about a more serious thing though, right?

Otherwise, I could say 'Fishin', you should run for Prez!' And you could accurately make the comment that there are Leftists trying to get you elected. I think in terms of Dean, Kucinich, Nader and Perot, people believed in it enough to do actual organizing and spend money on it.

When I see an organized 'dobbs for prez' campaign, same for Stewart, I'll agree with you. Until then though I think it's sort of a semantics game on your part; there is no organized, funded or widespread support for electing Lou Dobbs as a Democratic nominee for President.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
When I see an organized 'dobbs for prez' campaign, same for Stewart, I'll agree with you. Until then though I think it's sort of a semantics game on your part; there is no organized, funded or widespread support for electing Lou Dobbs as a Democratic nominee for President.

Is my semantics game any less significant than your Non sequiturs? Whether there is or isn't widespread support is completely irrelvant to to thread.

Once again, you can't couter the original post so you derail it with nonsense.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:18 pm
Counter the original post? I agree with it!

The only thing I took exception to is the idea that there is any significant portion of the Left or of the Democratic party attempting to get either Dobbs or Stewart elected to anything. You made that up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The only thing I took exception to is the idea that there is any significant portion of the Left or of the Democratic party attempting to get either Dobbs or Stewart elected to anything. You made that up.

Cycloptichorn

You had better re-read then becuase so far you are doing a piss poor job at it. What I said was "CNN has Lou Dobbs writing editorials and he has his own little following amongs the U.S. left that is going as far as talking about trying to convince him to run for President."

Note the word "little" in there. In what language, dictionary or world does "little" translate into "significant"?

Now where did the "significant" following come from? Oh yeah, YOU made that up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 04:02 pm
fishin wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

You had better re-read then becuase so far you are doing a piss poor job at it. What I said was "CNN has Lou Dobbs writing editorials and he has his own little following amongs the U.S. left that is going as far as talking about trying to convince him to run for President."

Note the word "little" in there. In what language, dictionary or world does "little" translate into "significant"?

Now where did the "significant" following come from? Oh yeah, YOU made that up.

Here's the thing - I can't find ANY evidence that ANY members of the Left support Lou Dobbs for President - big or little. So I contend that you invented your contention out of whole cloth, that is to say, it is a prevarication designed to impugn your political opponents and not based in any sort of reality.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies