Poll: Bias Alive and Well in Press

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 09:52 am
Poll: Bias 'alive and well' in press
By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
March 16, 2007

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20070315-114454-8075r.htm

The vast majority of American voters detect the presence of political bias in the mainstream news media, according to a Zogby poll released yesterday in conjunction with the George Washington University Institute for Politics, Democracy and the Internet.
Sentiment is strong: 83 percent of likely voters think bias is "alive and well." Of that number, 64 percent said the press leans left, while slightly more than a quarter -- 28 percent -- said there was a conservative bias.
Naturally, there's a partisan divide, and a pronounced one. Among Republican respondents, 97 percent said the press was liberal. Two-thirds of political independents agreed with them, with less than a quarter of the independents -- 23 percent -- saying there was a conservative bias.
Democratic respondents revealed a spectrum of perceptions.
"Democrats, while much more likely to perceive a conservative bias than any other group, were not nearly as sure the media was against them as were the Republicans," the survey said. "While Republicans were unified in their perception of left-wing media, just two-thirds of Democrats were certain the media skewed right -- and 17 percent said the bias favored the left."
Such wavering sentiment may not align with the thinking of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton. In a speech Tuesday, the New York Democrat insisted that the "vast, right-wing conspiracy" -- the so-called alliance between conservative point men and journalists that once vexed her husband, former President Bill Clinton -- was fully operational.
Meanwhile, the Zogby findings also revealed a trend that may sober the enthusiasm of broadcasters, magazines and newspapers that have rushed to establish an Internet presence, complete with snappy blogs, message boards and interactive features.
"American voters remain skeptical of major news outlets diving in the blog pool -- 26 percent speculated that the reason news organizations are placing blogs on their Web sites is that 'blogs give news organizations a chance to promote a political agenda they could not promote in regular broadcasts, cablecast or publications,' " the survey stated.
The poll of 1,757 likely voters nationwide was conducted Feb. 20 to 26, and had a margin of error of two percentage points.
Other research confirms public skepticism.
"The State of the News Media 2007," a 700-page analysis released Monday by the Project for Excellence in Journalism, found that 68 percent of respondents preferred getting news from sources without "a particular point of view." Still, less than half gave positive reviews of credibility and trustworthiness in the press itself. The presence of liberal bias was cited by 28 percent, up from 19 percent in 1996.
"Perceptions of bias and the partisan divide of media, appear to be on the rise," the study said, though it also noted the rise of a new "answer culture" over the long dominant "argument culture" in the press, marking "an appeal more idiosyncratic and less ideological."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,729 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:06 am
http://i17.tinypic.com/44ugms3.jpg

97% of Republicans say the press is liberal - well, they should buy some conservative papers of they want to change that.

List of newspapers in the United States by circulation

Zogby International
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:15 am
Walt, did you ever stop to think that conservatives have stopped buying newspapers because of the options? Most vote with their wallets....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 10:33 am
No, I didn't think so.

Why don't they buy more conservative papers ... eg. the here quoted "America's Newspaper", the Washington Times (N° 106, less than 400 copies ahead of the Greensboro News & Record on 107)?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:02 am
Maybe because the average newstand carries the following:

NY Times (liberal)
USA Today (liberal)
LA Times (liberal)
Chigago Sun Tribune (liberal)
Wall Street Journal (fairly non-partisan)

and....

maybe the local paper, if there is one...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:08 am
And that leads to:

cjhsa wrote:
Walt, did you ever stop to think that conservatives have stopped buying newspapers because of the options? Most vote with their wallets....

Well, if you say so.

http://i15.tinypic.com/2qbfyqb.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/4dy7wi9.jpg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
Also, did I mention that most hotels/motels offer up free copies of USA Today and not much else? And that CNN is broadcast on more public TV's than any other network?

Hmmm.

You always know you're in a really conservative area when you look up and see FOX News on the tube. It's almost a "What the hell?" moment.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:11 am
Ya gotta love Walt - arguing with a poll. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:12 am
Might be.

But you started the thread and named it like the headline in Washington Times:

Quote:
Poll: Bias 'alive and well' in press

Getting free copies of a not-liked newspaper should people really "force" buying their favourites and/or asking for them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
Ya gotta love Walt - arguing with a poll. Laughing

I didn't argue with the poll at all but only answered your responses resp. wuestioned why people don't read/buy their favourite newspaper.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:19 am
I buy a local Sunday paper for the coupons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:36 am
I guessed such.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:41 am
Comon Walt, tell me you don't prefer the "on demand" model of the Internet?

Newspapers are a waste of resources these days.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:47 am
cjhsa wrote:
Maybe because the average newstand carries the following:

NY Times (liberal)
USA Today (liberal)
LA Times (liberal)
Chigago Sun Tribune (liberal)

What the hell is the "Chicago Sun Tribune?"

cjhsa wrote:
Wall Street Journal (fairly non-partisan)

Bwah hah hah hah hah hah hah!

(wipes tear from eye, catches breath)

Ah hah hah hah hah hah!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:49 am
cjhsa wrote:
Newspapers are a waste of resources these days.

I've a different opinion.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:51 am
Chicago Sun Times, sorry, typo.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:52 am
joefromchicago wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
t;]Wall Street Journal (fairly non-partisan)

Bwah hah hah hah hah hah hah!

Do you think it is partisan because it is pro business? Why Governor Granholm, I had no idea you posted here!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:06 pm
When you consider the Sun-Times as a liberal paper, the WSJ is one too, I agree.

Now I really do wonder when you consider to be conservative papers - there isn't much left to the right of those two, at least not as national papers - of any at all.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Chicago Sun Times, sorry, typo.

The Sun Times has a smaller circulation than the Tribune, especially outside the city limits of Chicago. If any newstand is carrying one Chicago paper, then, it is vastly more likely to carry the Tribune. Both of those papers, however, have conservative editorial policies.

cjhsa wrote:
Do you think it is partisan because it is pro business?

No, I think it's partisan because it's partisan. Have you ever read the Journal's editorial page?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 02:22 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
97% of Republicans say the press is liberal - well, they should buy some conservative papers of they want to change that.

What does one have to do with the other? When people refer to "the press" they are speaking collectively - all newspapers, magazines, TV news/infomation broadcasts, etc... They aren't referring to one single source within all of the sources available.
0 Replies