dating a widow

markh

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:48 pm
HI, IAMB NEW HERE. I HAVE BEEN LIVING WITH A FIREFIGHTER'S WIDOW FOR 3YRS AND IT HAS NOT BEEN EASY. SHE HAS CONTINUED TO HAVE A GOLF TOURNEMANT IN HIS HONER EVERY YR, AND NOW A RECENT LAWSUIT HAS MADE ALL THIS HUGE AND ON THE US NEWS!! I AM HAVING TROUBLE FEELING IMPORTANT IN ALL THIS. SHE LOVES ME AND DOES NOT WANT TO STOP SEEING ME, BUT WANTS MY UNDERSTANDING AND SUPPORT AS SHE GETS CLOSER TO HAVING A RESOLUTION TO HER HUSBANDS DEATH DUE TO EQUIP FAILURE. HOW CAN I OVERLOOK ALL THE ATTENTION SHE HAS SHIFTED TO THAT??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 748 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:57 pm
Do you shout at her like you're shouting at us?
0 Replies

markh

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:03 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
No-I dont. we openly discuss it. She feels a calling to see this to the end. I just feel it is at our relationships expense. Will she ever give us 100% again?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:10 pm
Markh- The woman that you are living with was married to a man who died under tragic circumstances. She needs to get a closure on the situation.

Apparently you are jealous of a ghost. What would you like her to do? Refuse to go to the golf tournament?

She knew and loved him, before she knew you. If you were wise, you would become part of the memorials, and support her during this time.

I remember once reading about Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner. If you remember, they were married, and she died of ovarian cancer, at rather young age. A few years later I read a story about Gene and his new girlfriend working together on on the foundation that he started in Gilda's name. Now that girlfriend, IMO, had a lot of empathy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:11 pm
Mark--

Welcome to A2K.

Quote:
HOW CAN I OVERLOOK ALL THE ATTENTION SHE HAS SHIFTED TO THAT??

In other words, you want to know how to claim her full and complete attention because you feel you deserve her full and complete attention.

You want to set her priorities--and your priority for her is you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
markh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
No-I dont. we openly discuss it. She feels a calling to see this to the end. I just feel it is at our relationships expense. Will she ever give us 100% again?

Thanks for the no caps. :wink:

I agree with phoenix.

You can't expect her to just "get over it" and you are competing with a man who isn't even alive any more. Perhaps, she is not the one for you.

Not all love is guaranteed to work or be returned. You deserve someone who can give you their whole heart, not just broken pieces of it. Maybe she is not ready to love again. And maybe she never will be.
0 Replies

markh

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:26 pm
Thanks Phoenix! My problem is in the beginning, I knew that it would be tough, but I felt her love so strongly, that I would do anything for her!. As issues have crept in and out, I have shown her a bad side of me in that I can be quite jealous and callous when attention is turned away and towards his memory. I would LOVE to support her and be at her side. I have thought-Is it all worth it.? and it really is!! But she doesnt always include me as she doesnt want the "hassles" and knows it can hurt me if I know. So between that, and the fact that I dont know how to support her, and still feel love from her. It is as if I will always be 2nd to all that. But maybe I wont eventually if I can do it. Hopefully my therapist can get to the bottom of my lack of confidence and jealousy. Another part of it is she is financially well off now betwwen Backstoppers, and compensations, and she cant remarry or can lose some of that. So a lot of my issues are also about my not being"needed as a provider and I have to see his last name everyday on mail, bills, etc. I know I am f-up! But I want to be her best friend in this. And I do see an end to the grander scaled stuff(like the news on TV and in the paper.) But, yes, i would never ask her to stop it all. Especially due to her kids....Thanks, mark
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Markh- The woman that you are living with was married to a man who died under tragic circumstances. She needs to get a closure on the situation.

Apparently you are jealous of a ghost. What would you like her to do? Refuse to go to the golf tournament?

She knew and loved him, before she knew you. If you were wise, you would become part of the memorials, and support her during this time.

I remember once reading about Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner. If you remember, they were married, and she died of ovarian cancer, at rather young age. A few years later I read a story about Gene and his new girlfriend working together on on the foundation that he started in Gilda's name. Now that girlfriend, IMO, had a lot of empathy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
How can you overlook all of the attention that has been shifted to that?

It's a choice.

Make it.

Or don't.
It's up to you. That simple. YOU decide your reactions and feelings. Decide to react and feel differently if you love her.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
Also, remember alot of this effects the children too. They lost a dad, it will be important for them to remember him. I also doubt that this annual golf tournment will end so you will have to either understand that or the relationship will end.

My husband's dad died suddenly in a tragic accident. His wife still has his urn and pictures up of him - they were a very loving couple. She has met another man, but these parts of him are still displayed - he is a part of her and always will be. It doesn't change the fact that she loves this other man and they are engaged. He learned how to accept that and appreciate that she can be such a loving person. It doesn't mean that this fiance is second fiddle, it just that this person was such an important part of her life, his memory and everything about him will remain a part of her.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
markh wrote:
I felt her love so strongly, that I would do anything for her!

Remember, what your girlfriend is, is made up of her past experiences. She knew what love was with her husband, and now she can take what she knows about love and share it with you, but not at the expense of her memories.

I understand how you feel about the financial situation. I live in a retirement town, and there are many formerly widowed couples living together, but not married, because of finances. I think that some younger men are hung up about bringing in the lion's share of the income. Older people are happy to have the extra money.As far as you not being needed as a provider, do you work, or is she the sole support of the two of you?

I am happy that you have the insight to the problems that you are facing, and are seeing a therapist. That is certainly helpful. Your friend had a very big trauma to bear. I don't know how old the kids are, but I am sure that it was rough for them too. It would be good if you worked out your own "stuff", and not create yet another problem for her. She's had enough.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
One other point to make regarding the bread winner side - at least you know she loves you for you, not for simply supporting her and her children.

I now and during most of our marriage make more money and benefits than my husband. Do I love him less for it? No. When I was single I actually was turned off by this guy that said, I make so much money you wouldn't worry about a thing. Heck, I don't worry now and can take care of myself. I want some one to love, not support me financially.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
Mark--

Is she hurting you deliberately?

Why should she change because you are irrationally jealous? Jealousy is a selfish emotion, not a loving one.
0 Replies

markh

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:47 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Mark--Thanks everyone for your honesty. I feel like it will all end up ok. She is seeing atherapist too, and as her grief subsides, I think she will change as I will. I know what I need to do. I just have to get at peace with it, or I will lose her. And the plus here is that she does want to see me, I just moved out into a condo, so we are missing eacgh other a lot. She is going to a National Firefighters conference at the end of this mo. I hope she will get some peace and then I hope we can take baby steps.....Thanks, again, Markh

Is she hurting you deliberately?

Why should she change because you are irrationally jealous? Jealousy is a selfish emotion, not a loving one.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:42 am
If you are with someone who has a history (and who hasn't over the age of 20), you have to accept this history and the impact it may have on your present...
The person in question is DEAD, therefor not your general rival.
He cannot make mistakes any more, he cannot piss her off any more, he will always be her hero and yes, she carries his name.
After getting married, I also chose to keep my own name, partially because my husbands ex-wife still carries his name. For that reason our son also has my name. I can see, where little things like that can become important in somebody's mind, but you should not let it rule your life.

This all might be difficult, but you have to accept her the way she is if you want the relationship to work.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:39 am
markh wrote:
Quote:

Just something else for you to think about... I'm getting the feeling from what you write that your definition of love involves "what's in it for me." (Because you felt her love for you, you were willing to do anything. Now that you see her attention on something besides you, you wouldn't?)

For your benefit now as well as for any future relationships, you might want to work on redefining love for yourself. It's always about giving more than you get. And, it's never about being the center of attention. It's always about allowing the other person room to grow and relishing that growth. And, it's never about stifling the other person for the benefit of one's own feeling of security.

Just something to think about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:50 am
There is a wonderful quote by Ayn Rand, "To say 'I love you' one must know first how to say the 'I'"
0 Replies

markh

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 06:51 am
squinney wrote:
markh wrote:
Quote:

Just something else for you to think about... I am getting the feeling from what you write that your definition of love involves "what's in it for me." (Because you felt her love for you, you were willing to do anything. Now that you see her attention on something besides you, you wouldn't?)

For your benefit now as well as for any future relationships, you might want to work on redefining love for yourself. It's always about giving more than you get. And, it's never about being the center of attention. It's always about allowing the other person room to grow and relishing that growth. And, it's never about stifling the other person for the benefit of one's own feeling of security.

Just something to think about.
Thank you squinney, Very true! I have had to ask myself a lot lately. I do not like the person I am right now. I hope to be able to show her how much I love her, soon. I do not want anyone else. I know if I could "wrap" myself around all this I would se a change in he as well as feel so good about myself! I just don't know if after my f-ups in the last couple of yrs, she will allow me in or trust that I wont ruin things she is doing. Right now we aren't talking. Mostly my fault. I got my feelings hurt Sunday pm talking to her and she told me "I like living alone!". I know where she is coming from though. she'd rather live alone then hear me fuss about things in our life. And you are right, I want to be center of attention. Partially because I think she doesn't care because she is working so hard to see this "equipment failure thru to a recall. I have some work to do and I will. I just am depressed right now and little is important to me now. I love going to work, and love my son(12). That's another thing, he misses her two kids a lot and wants to know when we will see them? It is hard now not living there and not doing all the "family" type stuff, and then ocassionally, seeing them but having to leave again! I guess anything worth it, though is worth the hard work, right?? I would have this problem with any relationship if I don't straighten out!. But she admits she isn't trying very hard on our relationship now. I think seeing her try harder would inspire me to meet her halfway?! Thanks, again, Markh
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:18 am
It's all in knowing how to work the hose.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:07 am
Mark - I feel for ya. This is a very difficult place to "be" and growth (mental) is sooooo much work. It can be easy to give up, but what you'll find is that you'll "be" there again and again somewhere down the road until you get it right.

Did you realize you ended yur last post with "But she admits she isn't trying very hard on our relationship now. I think seeing her try harder would inspire me to meet her halfway?!"

Take her out of the equation. This isn't about her, it's about you. YOU have to want to better yourself, and you have to want to do so for yourself rather than for someone else or to "win" someone else over. The whole thing is about YOU changing for yourself. When you do that, the rest will follow. It may not be the same woman. It may be that with change you attract someone even better.

So, don't be inspired by others, be inspired by yourself. Don't wait for someone else to do X so you can do Y. You are young now. What happens when you're ten years down the road still waiting for someone else to do their part to make you happy? Be happy / inspired/ secure with yourself independently and you'll be amazed what happens in your life.

There are lots of ways to do that. Your dr may have some suggestions regarding positive affirmations and steps to take in that direction, so check with him/her for a recommendation based on what he/she knows about yur personality and what would work for you.

I've been very blessed with the works of such authors as Dr. Wayne Dyer (Power of Intention) and Dr. M. Scott Peck (Road Less Traveled / Further Along the Road Less Traveled).
0 Replies

markh

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:12 am
squinney wrote:
Mark - I feel for ya. This is a very difficult place to "be" and growth (mental) is sooooo much work. It can be easy to give up, but what you'll find is that you'll "be" there again and again somewhere down the road until you get it right.

Did you realize you ended yur last post with "But she admits she isn't trying very hard on our relationship now. I think seeing her try harder would inspire me to meet her halfway?!"

Take her out of the equation. This isn't about her, it's about you. YOU have to want to better yourself, and you have to want to do so for yourself rather than for someone else or to "win" someone else over. The whole thing is about YOU changing for yourself. When you do that, the rest will follow. It may not be the same woman. It may be that with change you attract someone even better.

So, don't be inspired by others, be inspired by yourself. Don't wait for someone else to do X so you can do Y. You are young now. What happens when you're ten years down the road still waiting for someone else to do their part to make you happy? Be happy / inspired/ secure with yourself independently and you'll be amazed what happens in your life.

There are lots of ways to do that. Your dr may have some suggestions regarding positive affirmations and steps to take in that direction, so check with him/her for a recommendation based on what he/she knows about yur personality and what would work for you.

I've been very blessed with the works of such authors as Dr. Wayne Dyer (Power of Intention) and Dr. M. Scott Peck (Road Less Traveled / Further Along the Road Less Traveled).

Thank you very much. I do see that and she has mentioned that if I was there supporting her, it would bring us so much closer and a new type of love would grow!! I will look into those books. I have read dr Phil, and was doing pos affirmations for a short time when I was apart from her last June to Dec at my sisters. I need to get back to that. Oh yeah! I also saw a hypnotherapist!! I do know you are right. Thanks again! Markh
0 Replies