Would the world be better off without religion?

real life

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:05 pm
plainoldme wrote:
real life wrote:
plainoldme wrote:
Real Life -- I agree with Pentacle Queen and take her statement one step further. The question the thread asks isn't stupid but your examples are. Posting that business about cannibalism is just plain silly.

When I was in Catholic high school (1965-69), there was a kid named Stanley who asked a similiar question during religion class. Since the priest has to drink all the communion wine, even if something falls into it, Stanley asked if a missionary was saying mass and a trantula crawled into the chalice, would he have to drink the wine? Your cannibal question is on that same level.

Don't call a question silly just because you don't want to answer, or can't answer it, plainoldme.

Either all moral judgements are equal, i.e. all things are 'equally moral'.......

..........or they are not.

If all moral judgements are equal, then:

Quote:
'Cannibalism is acceptable because one animal may eat another,'

is equally moral to

Quote:
'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.'

If all moral judgements are not equal then obviously both are measured against an absolute standard to determine which is 'more moral.'

So, which is it?

I'm not saying I don't want to answer it.

OK. I believe you.

What is your answer then?
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:29 pm
RL. you remind me of the unattended car left in gear and doing circles, with the likes of Setana, Chumly, Diest, Xingu and many others trying to get aboard and knock you out of gear.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:54 pm
So, did you want to address the question, anton? Or did you just pop in for a quick ad hom? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:07 am
Interestingly it's not technically an ad hominem if you call someone something displeasing or offensive, that would be in bad taste.

For it to be an ad hominem you must irrelevantly allege something of the presenter of the argument, and not the argument itself; for example real life is Christian thus real life cannot have a pragmatically logical argument as per morality.

If you cannot show that Christians cannot have a pragmatically logical argument as per morality, then such a claim would be an ad hominem.

Mind you, I have yet to see a viable demonstration of morality from the perspective of Christian moral absolutist ideology, and as such it would not be an ad hominem to claim Christians cannot have a pragmatically logical argument as per morality.

Without proof of an anthropomorphic providential Christian god there can be no pragmatic morality as per real life's claims. It's just real life playing with his imaginary friends in a sandbox called moral absolutism.

It might be worth noting I do confirm a pragmatic adherence to ethics but not to morality, because morality invokes religiosity and absolutism, two idealizations with highly dubious pragmatic demonstrativeness.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:42 am
bookmark
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:00 am
real life asks: "Is cannibalism inherently immoral, or is it just an opinion?". A red herring, as usual from real life, and an attempt to reduce a complex question to a simple yes/no, a reductio ad absurdem that rl seems to specialize in.

Let me pose a scenario concerning cannibalism to you, rl:

Suppose you're in a plane flying thru ice-capped mountains. You've just come from the lowlands and you're flying back to lowlands and you expect to land there in a couple hours, so you have no warm clothes, and very little food but snacks. Your pilot misjudges things and flies into a mountain. Half the passengers survive, but half are killed in the wreck or die of their injuries. Days pass, no rescuers find you. Your food is gone. Do you eat the frozen bodies of the dead to survive?

This is NOT a hypothetical, that-could-never-happen question. It happened. The survivors ate their dead friends. And the Catholic Church condoned it. I'm an atheist. I condone it too. Do you? If not, what absolute moral standard are you going to try to impose on their actions? There are often no yes/no answers, rl. Cannibalism is one of those cases, and you can't reduce it simplistically.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:01 am
Reducing it simplistically is what you have done.

'Either they should have done what they did, or there was no alternative for them.' is your implication.

It's not the case.

What I would have done is head for the lowland as quickly as possible. Don't stay on top of the mountain and freeze. Head for the valley, build shelter (out of snow if necessary) , live off of dead vegetation and plant matter rather than dead people, (there's dead vegetation in the valley , but not much on top of the mountain) and make my way to civilization.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:21 am
Nice try, rl. Not possible options. No warm clothes. No indigenous food to be found. Not A mountain, the middle of a mountain RANGE. Most of the party injured. Sometimes there are no options. This, I remind you was real.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
I stated what I would have done, or attempted to do.

Nevertheless, let's not lose sight of the question.

The question regarding all moral judgements being equal IS NOT -- 'can X behavior be moral if an extreme circumstance is postulated?'

No, to maintain that ALL moral judgements are valid , i.e. all actions are 'equally moral', then you must maintain that 'X behavior is moral under ANY AND ALL circumstances.'

Therefore, are:

Quote:
Cannibalising a dead body is permissible to save one's own life.

and

Quote:
Cannibalism for the sheer enjoyment, including purposeful killing of a living human being, is moral because one animal may always eat another.

to be considered 'equally moral' positions?

If NOT ALL moral judgements are equal, then an absolute standard of morality is implicit, against which various judgements are measured.

---------------------------

To boil it down a bit further--

To maintain the position

Quote:
All moral judgements are valid

would also require one to accept the moral judgement that is stated

Quote:
NOT all moral judgements are valid.

If you disqualify the second, you have negated the first. Comprendo?

In other words, the position

Quote:
All moral judgements are valid

is a statement of a moral absolute in which one attempts to deny the existence of moral absolutes. Laughing
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:07 pm
RL... quote (So, did you want to address the question, anton? Or did you just pop in for a quick ad hom?)... unquote.
I must say, if, I could of addressed the question better than the one's encircling the car, I can assure you I would of. However seeing I chose to be a onlooker, I thought it appropriate to comment on my perspective of you going round in circles and the afore said desperately trying to save you from yourself.
Seeing you saw fit to reply as above, perhaps, the comment hit home.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:29 pm
I see. If I reply, then you must be right, eh?

So if I didn't reply, would you have been wrong? Laughing

If that's the best you can come up with, perhaps it's better for you that you didn't address the question.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 06:45 am
Would the removal of the divisiveness of religion make for a better world. Probably not since humans will always find a reason to hate. However that said it couldn't hurt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
real life wrote:

So if I didn't reply, would you have been wrong? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

If that's the best you can come up with, perhaps it's better for you that you didn't address the question.

Anton is correct that with regard to a logical response to the comments of others, you are usually a run-away train.

This is a perfect example. Anton definitely did not either write or imply that any reply on your part makes you wrong--he specified the type of response you made, not the simple fact of your response. In fact, what he wrote was: Seeing you saw fit to reply as above, perhaps, the comment hit home.. His comment was specific to the manner in which you had replied, not simply the fact that you replied at all.

So, his point is well taken. Logic consistently fails you, and your arguments are so often based on a failure to understand what has been said to you, a willful refusal to understand what has been said to you, or a willful misrepresentation of what has been said to you. The question of morality always finds you sooner or later--and usually sooner than later--asserting that all moral judgments are equal in the estimation of those with whom you discuss the topic, from which you proceed to "accuse" them of believing in a moral absolute, even though the person in question very likely has denied this. However, you always insert that nonsense either without a logical basis, or with no basis at all. So for example, if i point out that moral judgments are subjective, you will leap on that to assert that i have said that all moral judgments have the same value, and that therefore, i in fact believe in moral absolutes. This is in large measure conditioned by your contempt for those who you describe as "moral relativists." However, saying that moral judgments are subjective doesn't mean that all moral judgments have equal value, it in fact means that different people value moral judgments differently--the very antithesis of a moral absolute.

Anton's got you pegged, you just go around and around in the circle of your thought, and never understand, and apparently don't try to understand, what others are saying to you.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
The world would be better off without religious institutions.

Wouldn't it be fun if nobody could put a name to their own religion because it was simply an expression of their own feelings and beliefs cobbled together from their own experiences?

The answer to "what religion are you?" would be unique for everyone. They would have to describe it, and they would call it "My religion".

The way it is now, people don't have religion, religion has them.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:29 pm
for real life:

"I believe in compulsory cannibalism. If people were forced to eat what they kill, there would be no more war."

--Abbie Hoffman
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 11:37 pm
Witness the Aztecs as opposed to Abbie.
0 Replies

username

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 12:24 am
Hmm, good counterexample, chum. They did have some tasty recipes for their sacrifices. I understand mole sauce was big (I'm not kidding)(that's "mo-lay" sauce, not something made from lawn pests).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 8 Apr, 2007 12:50 am
Cannibalism in the Bible

"He who eats my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him."
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 11:58 am
rosborne979 wrote:
The world would be better off without religious institutions.

Wouldn't it be fun if nobody could put a name to their own religion because it was simply an expression of their own feelings and beliefs cobbled together from their own experiences?

The answer to "what religion are you?" would be unique for everyone. They would have to describe it, and they would call it "My religion".

The way it is now, people don't have religion, religion has them.

Well said Rosborne! I can't improve upon your statement. I think of man as the metaphorical animal. Unfortunately, we can't see the metaphor in our religions and insist on taking them literally. Thus the conflict with science.

Fortunately we don't take poetic figures of speech literally. "My heart soars like an eagle." Ugh!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

So if I didn't reply, would you have been wrong? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

Anton is correct that with regard to a logical response to the comments of others, you are usually a run-away train.

This is a perfect example. Anton definitely did not either write or imply that any reply on your part makes you wrong--he specified the type of response you made, not the simple fact of your response. In fact, what he wrote was: Seeing you saw fit to reply as above, perhaps, the comment hit home.. His comment was specific to the manner in which you had replied, not simply the fact that you replied at all.

So, his point is well taken. Logic consistently fails you, and your arguments are so often based on a failure to understand what has been said to you, a willful refusal to understand what has been said to you, or a willful misrepresentation of what has been said to you. The question of morality always finds you sooner or later--and usually sooner than later--asserting that all moral judgments are equal in the estimation of those with whom you discuss the topic, from which you proceed to "accuse" them of believing in a moral absolute, even though the person in question very likely has denied this. However, you always insert that nonsense either without a logical basis, or with no basis at all. So for example, if i point out that moral judgments are subjective, you will leap on that to assert that i have said that all moral judgments have the same value, and that therefore, i in fact believe in moral absolutes. This is in large measure conditioned by your contempt for those who you describe as "moral relativists." However, saying that moral judgments are subjective doesn't mean that all moral judgments have equal value, it in fact means that different people value moral judgments differently--the very antithesis of a moral absolute.

Anton's got you pegged, you just go around and around in the circle of your thought, and never understand, and apparently don't try to understand, what others are saying to you.

Apparently you don't understand what I've said.
0 Replies