Would the world be better off without religion?

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:43 pm
Thanks guys . . . i'm stylin' now ! ! !
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 04:19 pm
If religion was truth then there would be unity between religions. God is not the author of confusion.

So in my opinion (which is far from infallible), the least amount of religion provides for the greatest amount of truth.

Religion by definition is philosophy where truth is theosophy.

Jeremiah 2:13
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns [i.e. religion], broken cisterns, that can hold no water .

Comment: Oh yea, very cute Set... Laughing
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 04:43 pm
RexRed wrote:
If religion was truth then there would be unity between religions. God is not the author of confusion.

If God is the author of the Bible than he has created a massive amount of confusion. So if what you say is true; that God is not the author of confusion, than we can safely assume God had nothing to do with the Bible or its God.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 11:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Your statement is a moral judgement because it seeks to define whence moral judgements arise, and hence attempt to define on what basis something is or is not moral.

Nonsense, the statement is not at all concerned with whether or not any given judgment is moral, it simply points out that any judgment which is claimed to be a moral judgment is subjective. Absolutely no valuation of morality is entailed in the statement that moral judgments are subjective.

Quote:
It is quite a sweeping moral judgement, encompassing all of morality and stated in absolute terms ('All' moral judgements are.........) How can you deny that your statement is absolute in it's terms?

I don't deny that the statement is absolute. I do deny that the statement is a moral judgment, which you only assert in the attempt to prop up your feeble and unconvincing argument that i have contradicted myself. The statement that all moral judgments are subjective is not of itself a moral judgment, because it does not assert (or "seek" to assert) that the subjectivity of moral judgments is "good" or "bad," nor "right" or "wrong." Continuing to assert that the statement is a moral judgment itself, in the face of a definition of morality which clearly states that morality concerns itself with "right" and "wrong," only provides evidence that you don't reason well. It also shows how desperate you are to prop up a failing argument in which you ave involved yourself. Continuing to assert that the statement is a "moral judgment," while not even offering an explanation as to why this were so, not only does not make it so, it makes you look the fool.

Quote:
You propose a moral absolute, but deny the existence of moral absolutes.

This is a lie--the statement i made does not have the character of a moral statement, it does not assert that the subjectivity of morality is either good or bad, or right or wrong.

Quote:
Moreover it seeks to prove a negative, i.e. there are no moral absolutes, which it utterly fails to do. Omniscience would be required to prove a negative such as this one.

It does not "seek" to prove anything. It is a statement about the nature of morality, and the "proof," if one were as obsessed with "proof" as you are in this case, is offered in the basis upon which i make the observation, which is that there is no moral statement upon which all people agree. The statement itself does not "seek" anything.

You're not very good at this sort of thing.

The undeniable scope of your statement is that all actions are neither inherently 'moral' nor 'immoral', but only matters of opinion.

A sweeping pronouncement such as this, by definition seeks to define what is and is not moral, indeed the basis for all morality.

Thus, you cannot claim that such a statement is not a moral judgement.

Indeed , it sets itself up as THE[/i][/u][/size] moral judgement defining all other moral judgements.

As to whether you denied your statement was an absolute, anyone checking back a few pages can see that attempted to do just that.

You stated an absolute moral judgement denying the existence of moral absolutes. It is an inherently contradictory position.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:23 am
real life wrote:
The undeniable scope of your statement is that all actions are neither inherently 'moral' nor 'immoral', but only matters of opinion.

A sweeping pronouncement such as this, by definition seeks to define what is and is not moral.

No it doesn't. Observing the simple fact that morality is subjective, is not a moral judgement in itself. It's the same as observing that different men think different women are attractive. Just because we know people see beauty differently doesn't mean that we have passed any judgement on what could be considered beautiful.

Morality is in the eye of the beholder, just like beauty.

I think Set has been very clear with his arguments, and in far more detail than should be necessary. You've just got blinders on (as usual).
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:28 am
real life,

Setanta is making a judgment about morality.
He is not making a moral judgment.

(...doesn't mean he's right, of course.)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
echi wrote:
real life,

Setanta is making a judgment about morality.
He is not making a moral judgment.

(...doesn't mean he's right, of course.)

If you disagree let's hear your opinion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:06 am
real life wrote:

This is absolutely false. At no time have i said or even implied that all actions are either moral or immoral. I have simply pointed out that what is or is not considered "moral" is a matter of opinion (to put it in the snotty terms by which you intend to denigrate the idea), which is to say, subjective. There is nothing in the statement that morality is subjective which even remotely implies that all actions are either moral or immoral. In fact, if one considers all "morality" to be subjective, one immediately recognizes that no actions are either moral or immoral, but only that people arbitrarily (subjectively) apply such a judgment to the any action under consideration.

Quote:
A sweeping pronouncement such as this, by definition seeks to define what is and is not moral, indeed the basis for all morality.

Nonsense--the statement only takes notice of the fact that "morality" is a subjective judgment by people, who do not universally agree upon what is or is not moral, which is precisely why i say that "morality" is a subjective judgment.

Quote:

As i said before, you're not very good at this. I guess we need to go back to the well, since it did not sink in the first time. You claim that the statement that moral judgments are subjective is in itself a moral judgment. That is false:

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/moral][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
mor·al adj.

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.
3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.
4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.
5. Having psychological rather than physical or tangible effects: a moral victory; moral support.
6. Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.

The statement that moral judgments are subjective does not assert that this has either the character of "goodness" or "badness." The statement is "value neutral" on the topic of whether or not the subjective character of moral judgments is good or bad, right or wrong. Therefore, the statement that moral judgments are subjective is not itself a moral judgment.

You continually, and falsely, stating that it is a moral judgment does not make that so.

Quote:
Indeed , it sets itself up as THE moral judgement defining all other moral judgements.

No, it does not judge moral judgments, it simply takes note of the fact that they are subjective. Tediously (because you're being pig-headed about this), i will repeat that noting that moral judgments are subjective does not claim that this is either good or bad, right or wrong, and is not itself a moral judgment.

Quote:
As to whether you denied your statement was an absolute, anyone checking back a few pages can see that attempted to do just that.

You stated an absolute moral judgement denying the existence of moral absolutes. It is an inherently contradictory position.

This is a glaring example of your inability to argue rationally. You are desperately making this claim because your position is becoming so eroded. I only denied that stating that moral judgments are subjective is a moral absolute--it's not a moral judgment at all. Certainly the statement is absolute, but it is not a moral absolute, because it is not a moral statement at all--it is just a statement about moral judgment. There is no contradiction, because you are attempting to compare apples to oranges--you are comparing the un-moral statement that all moral judgment is subjective to moral judgments themselves.

I have never claimed that the subjective nature of moral judgment is either good or bad. Therefore, that statement itself is not a moral judgment, therefore it does not constitute a moral absolute--and therefore, you are full of poop.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:06 am
xingu wrote:
RexRed wrote:

If God is the author of the Bible than he has created a massive amount of confusion. So if what you say is true; that God is not the author of confusion, than we can safely assume God had nothing to do with the Bible or its God.

It is a lie that brings chaos. The truth you simply just speak but a lie needs to be remembered and re-fabricated over and over. With lies your files get thick.

How can the Bible be simple when it aptly describes a universe that is far from simple. It defines the human body, soul and spirit which are God's greatest masterpiece.

If you want something innately simple I might suggest you purchase and study some fisher price toys... :wink:
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:24 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

This is absolutely false. At no time have i said or even implied that all actions are either moral or immoral. I have simply pointed out that what is or is not considered "moral" is a matter of opinion (to put it in the snotty terms by which you intend to denigrate the idea), which is to say, subjective. There is nothing in the statement that morality is subjective which even remotely implies that all actions are either moral or immoral. In fact, if one considers all "morality" to be subjective, one immediately recognizes that no actions are either moral or immoral, but only that people arbitrarily (subjectively) apply such a judgment to the any action under consideration.

Quote:

Nonsense--the statement only takes notice of the fact that "morality" is a subjective judgment by people, who do not universally agree upon what is or is not moral, which is precisely why i say that "morality" is a subjective judgment.

Quote:

As i said before, you're not very good at this. I guess we need to go back to the well, since it did not sink in the first time. You claim that the statement that moral judgments are subjective is in itself a moral judgment. That is false:

[url=http://www.answers.com/topic/moral][b]Answers-dot-com[/b][/url] wrote:
mor·al adj.

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.
3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.
4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.
5. Having psychological rather than physical or tangible effects: a moral victory; moral support.
6. Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.

The statement that moral judgments are subjective does not assert that this has either the character of "goodness" or "badness." The statement is "value neutral" on the topic of whether or not the subjective character of moral judgments is good or bad, right or wrong. Therefore, the statement that moral judgments are subjective is not itself a moral judgment.

You continually, and falsely, stating that it is a moral judgment does not make that so.

Quote:
Indeed , it sets itself up as THE moral judgement defining all other moral judgements.

No, it does not judge moral judgments, it simply takes note of the fact that they are subjective. Tediously (because you're being pig-headed about this), i will repeat that noting that moral judgments are subjective does not claim that this is either good or bad, right or wrong, and is not itself a moral judgment.

Quote:

This is a glaring example of your inability to argue rationally. You are desperately making this claim because your position is becoming so eroded. I only denied that stating that moral judgments are subjective is a moral absolute--it's not a moral judgment at all. Certainly the statement is absolute, but it is not a moral absolute, because it is not a moral statement at all--it is just a statement about moral judgment. There is no contradiction, because you are attempting to compare apples to oranges--you are comparing the un-moral statement that all moral judgment is subjective to moral judgments themselves.

I have never claimed that the subjective nature of moral judgment is either good or bad. Therefore, that statement itself is not a moral judgment, therefore it does not constitute a moral absolute--and therefore, you are full of poop.

Hi Setanta,

Attempting to define the basis for moral judgements is to define morality itself, and hence what is and is not moral.

You can't attempt to set the ground rules and claim it has no effect on the outcome. Nice try though. Laughing

Also you might want to note that the word I used was 'neither' , not 'either' when you responded:

Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

This is absolutely false. At no time have i said or even implied that all actions are either moral or immoral.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:33 am
Getting back to PQ's original question:

Now playing my broken record: the book of Revelation, in chapters 17 and 18, describes the destruction of the world's religions.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:23 am
neologist wrote:

Now playing my broken record: the book of Revelation, in chapters 17 and 18, describes the destruction of the world's religions.

Is that because God hates all other religions except the one that praises him?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 10:33 am
real life wrote:
Attempting to define the basis for moral judgements is to define morality itself, and hence what is and is not moral.

Horse poop. I am not defining morality, i've relied upon the dictionary for that, something to which you apparently don't wish to respond. I simply have made the observation that morality is subjective. Other people decide what is or isn't moral, and when they do so, they have done so subjectively. You have absolutely no logical basis to claim that the statement that morality is subjective is itself a moral judgment--it is not, but i haven't the least doubt that you will desperately continue to make that claim. You just are so poor at forming a logical argument.

Quote:
You can't attempt to set the ground rules and claim it has no effect on the outcome. Nice try though. (childish emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)[/i]

I haven't set any ground rules--you are free to declare to your heart's content what is or is not moral. And, in so doing, you will have made a subjective judgment.

Quote:
Also you might want to note that the word I used was 'neither' , not 'either' when you responded:

Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

This is absolutely false. At no time have i said or even implied that all actions are either moral or immoral.

That's OK, that does not alter that my statement is that all moral judgments are subjective, and it does not alter that such a statement is not itself a moral judgment. Finally, it does not follow from that statement that i deny that any action may or may not be moral--it simply points out that saying that any given action is moral or immoral is making a subjective judgment. My statement simply points out that there is no absolute standard of morality--i don't stipulate that people aren't free to declare this moral and that immoral, i'm just pointing out the subjective nature of such declarations.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:09 am
"Would the world be better off without religion?"

1. Religion exists as a powerful force in human societies and cultures. It plays an intimate role in how most humans view their world. A product of tradition that has little to do with objective reality, religion is so deeply rooted in humans that it's not likely to go away in the next thousand years ... if our species survives that long. At best, this question is a theoretical abstraction that can never be resolved beyond the position that each individual takes in regard to it.

2. "Better off without ...". A very subjective judgment, but one that suggests that religion there is a possible objective answer.

3. Many of our colleagues here seem to focus on the Abrahamic religions as if they are representative of all religions, or that no other religious tradition is worthy of being treated as equally valuable/dangerous. The question is far too general. Some may take the position that SOME religions are more/less valuable than others.

Would the world be better off without the Abrahamic Religions? The Abrahamic religions are monotheistic and each of the three main branches regard themselves as the True Followers of the One God. All other religions are regarded as idolatry offensive to their notion of God, and their concept of how the universe is structured. Abrahamic missionary zeal has crushed and smothered other religions until today they, in combination, represent the largest single block of religion in the world. Only the religions of East Asia remain vital to a significant portion of humanity. The Abrahamic religions aren't content to smother other religious convictions, but have been fighting one another over their respective claims to being specially favored almost from their beginnings.

That version of the question is slightly more precise, and recognizes that not all religions hold the same view of the world. However, even this "improvement" of the question is ultimately nonsensical, and not determinable.

4. There has been a trend in American thinking over in my lifetime that increasingly seems to expect that almost everything can be reduced to a simple and definitive answer. We've become more and more captive to an idealized vision of the world. The grayness and uncertainties are filtered out into more a more stark black and white. Idealistic visions have become less a hope and goal than an imperative that can not be compromised. It seems that the ranks of "True Believers" has increased, and with that increase so has intolerance increased. The world just isn't like that. The world is filled with people, almost all of whom, deeply and sincerely believe in whatever vision they hold for the future. To be so committed to one idea or ideology that all others are automatically so wrong that they must be opposed is almost a guarantee of future conflict.

The attempt to remain open minded, objective and detached is never easy, but it is our best hope for finding a means of reconciling human squabbles.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:24 pm
I'll take that as a yes then Asherman.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:30 pm
No, it isn't a "yes" to the question of whether the world would be better off without religion, nor is it even a "yes" to if amended question "would the world be better off without the Abrahamic religions.

Please re-read my last posting. No where in that post have I said anything that should be interpreted as an affirmative to the question.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 02:51 pm
Asherman wrote:
No where in that post have I said anything that should be interpreted as an affirmative to the question.
oh well I am disappointed. I thought all intelligent enquiring minds were at one in believing religion to be nothing more than man made superstitious rubbish and dangerous too.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 04:45 pm
I can be argued that certain religions, at certain times, to certain degrees, prior to modern science / modern thought helped man move forward, i.e. astrology, alchemy, witchcraft, art, music, architecture.

The question arises as to whether man could have leaped straight from ignorance to modern science / modern thought without such intermediaries.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 06:13 pm
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:

Perhaps, but more so those who despoil in his name.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:30 pm
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:

Perhaps, but more so those who despoil in his name.

Why should God care if anyone despoils his name; got an ego problem?

People put up with it all the time without having to kill people. What's Gods problem?

Looks like another case of God unable to meet mans higher standards.
0 Replies