Would the world be better off without religion?

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:
Getting back to PQ's original question:

Would the world be better off without religion?

Now playing my broken record: the book of Revelation, in chapters 17 and 18, describes the destruction of the world's religions.

Is that because God hates all other religions except the one that praises him?
Perhaps, but more so those who despoil in his name.

Why should God care if anyone despoils his name; got an ego problem?

People put up with it all the time without having to kill people. What's Gods problem?

Looks like another case of God unable to meet mans higher standards.
How would you feel if someone committed a crime and blamed it on you? What if it was the murder of millions?

Wassamatta? Got an ego problem?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:24 pm
You can't attempt to set the ground rules and claim it has no effect on the outcome. Nice try though. Laughing (emoticon replaced to combat censorship by the arbiters of good taste)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:15 am
Neo
It appears you have not read the Bible and are unaware of what God does.

God kills people because of their religious beliefs, not because they kill in his name. There is nothing in the Bible that says God will destroy only those who kill in his name.

Throughout the Bible Gods kills and has his chosen kill in the most violent way for the most trivial reasons. And now you say Gods resents only those who kill in his name?

If the Bible was nothing more than a book about God's love for mankind I could understand someone saying God would be pissed if there were those that killed in his name. But that's not what the Bible is about. It's about a selfish, jealous, vengeful and vain God who kills from the first book to the last. It's about a God that rules in the name of fear ("fear God"). It's a capricious God with a violent psychotic unpredictable temper. It's a God that establishes such harsh rules for mankind that God himself can't abide by them. He is a hypocrite who can't measure up to our standards and values yet we have to look up to him or be damned.

Most of the Bible is garbage in the sense that it is an insult to a God that is suppose to be a true loving God. When Christians want to show God as a loving, caring God they can find but a few passages that portray him in such a fashion. They ignore or make excuses for the majority of script that portrays God as a selfish barbaric deity who cares only for praise and worship of himself.

Quote:
Jeremiah 25:6
And go not after other gods to serve them, and to worship them, and provoke me not to anger with the works of your hands; and I will do you no hurt.

25:7
Yet ye have not hearkened unto me, saith the LORD; that ye might provoke me to anger with the works of your hands to your own hurt.

Quote:
Isaiah 66:23
And it shall come to pass, [that] from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

66:24
And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Quote:
Revelation 14:7
Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

Quote:
Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

If you don't love me than damn you; the worms shall eat your body and you shall be consumed by fire. To show his anger God will not kill you once but twice if you don't worship him.

This is called love for all of mankind.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:02 am
Keep whining to your heart's content, "real life," it won't change a thing. Saying that morality is subjective isn't "setting the ground rules." It is simply an observation of the provenance of morality, which is to say that it derives from human opinion.

You're just hacked off because you want everyone to think that your imaginary friend invented morality. But that leaves you with the burden of proof that, a., your imaginary friend actually exists, and, b., that he/she/it created moral absolutes.

You're long on talk, but you don't provide a scintilla of evidence.

You don't even rate a "nice try."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:52 am
xingu wrote:
Neo
It appears you have not read the Bible and are unaware of what God does.
da da da dah da dahh . . . . etc.
I've read the bible enough to know that all of what you consider injustices perpetrated by God are in fact the consequence(s) of the rebellion of Satan.
xingu wrote:
Quote:
Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

If you don't love me than damn you; the worms shall eat your body and you shall be consumed by fire. To show his anger God will not kill you once but twice if you don't worship him.

This is called love for all of mankind.
Scary, huh?

But, of course, you have no idea what the second death means. And since you don't understand that the dead are not conscious, I can understand why this would seem repugnant.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 01:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
You can't attempt to set the ground rules and claim it has no effect on the outcome. Nice try though. Laughing (emoticon replaced to combat censorship by the arbiters of good taste)

Saying that morality is subjective isn't "setting the ground rules."

Naturally when you undertake to 'define' something, in this case -- the basis of morality, you certainly are attempting to set the ground rules for what will ultimately be considered moral or immoral, (or for that matter if anything is considered moral or immoral or just a matter of opinion).

It cannot be otherwise.

But since you seem to be unable to defend the obvious implication, I don't expect you will acknowledge this simple cause and effect relationship.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:03 pm
It does not set any ground rules, which you will never acknowledge because you are so desperate to allege a divine source for morality. My statement does not concern itself with what is or is not "moral," nor how to determine what is or is not "moral." It simply takes notice of the origin of the concept of morality, which is human.

You just continue to flail around for a basis upon which to assert that morality is derived from an absolute standard, and the claim you want to make is that it is an absolute standard because it derives from your imaginary friend.

Too bad you can't demonstrate that, and too, too bad that your attempt to argue logically is defeated by your obsession with your imaginary friend.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 04:32 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie has a thread on this here
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:57 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

Interesting.

The author notes that persons with brain damage become more utilitarian.........

....... admits the danger of unchecked utilitarianism........

.......... chides the readers for their illogical aversion to utilitarianism..........

.......and finishes by urging them to embrace it (what they might otherwise have to be brain damaged to accept).
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
My statement does not concern itself with what is or is not "moral," nor how to determine what is or is not "moral." .

Your definition of the basis of morality would certainly affect what is and is not moral, and how it is determined.

But your earlier attempts on this:

Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
"All moral judgements are subjective."

is an absolute statement

Kind of slow, ain'tcha?

It's a subjective statement

Setanta wrote:
I don't deny that the statement is absolute.

leaves little hope that you will be better able to defend your statement now than then.

The statement

"All moral judgements are subjective"

is set forth as a judgement of the origin and hence the content ('all moral judgements are just your opinion') of ALL moral judgements.

How can this be defined as other than a moral judgement itself? That is precisely what it is. The statement is a presumption to define all moral choices and decisions as neither 'moral' nor 'immoral', but only as opinion.

That is moral judgement at it's most basic (though it's contradictory).

The contradiction of course, is in the fact that this statement which denies the existence of moral absolutes, is itself stated as a moral absolute.

One need not even profess a theistic position to see the obvious contradiction in the moral relativists position.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:01 pm
real life,

You seem unwilling to differentiate between the questions "Is morality subjective?" and "Should morality be subjective?". You appear be trying to answer the first with your solution to the second.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:22 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life,

You seem unwilling to differentiate between the questions "Is morality subjective?" and "Should morality be subjective?". You appear be trying to answer the first with your solution to the second.

Eorl,

We aren't even discussing 'should morality be subjective'.

If one defines morality as being subjective, then one has defined what is inherently 'moral' (nothing) and what is inherently 'immoral' (nothing).

This is a classic moral judgement, would you agree?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:43 pm
No, a moral judgement requires a "should".

It is simply an observation of the apparent nature of the universe.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:41 am
real life wrote:
If one defines morality as being subjective, then one has defined what is inherently 'moral' (nothing) and what is inherently 'immoral' (nothing).

This is a classic moral judgement, would you agree?

Only if you treat morality as objective (which you do).

But not if you treat it as subjective (which it is).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:49 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Interesting.

The author notes that persons with brain damage become more utilitarian.........

....... admits the danger of unchecked utilitarianism........

.......... chides the readers for their illogical aversion to utilitarianism..........

.......and finishes by urging them to embrace it (what they might otherwise have to be brain damaged to accept).
What is the difference between utilitarianism and sociopathy?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:51 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
My statement does not concern itself with what is or is not "moral," nor how to determine what is or is not "moral." .

Your definition of the basis of morality would certainly affect what is and is not moral, and how it is determined.

No, it wouldn't. It simply notes how moral judgments are formed, which is subjectively. It in no wise defines what will or will not be determined to be moral.

Quote:
But your earlier attempts on this:

Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
"All moral judgements are subjective."

is an absolute statement

Kind of slow, ain'tcha?

It's a subjective statement

Setanta wrote:
I don't deny that the statement is absolute.

leaves little hope that you will be better able to defend your statement now than then.

That it is an absolute statement does not alter that it is a subjective statement. Which is why i consider you to be slow.

Quote:
The statement

"All moral judgements are subjective"

is set forth as a judgement of the origin and hence the content ('all moral judgements are just your opinion') of ALL moral judgements.

It is my judgment that all moral judgments are subjective, and i have explained why i make that claim. You have never bothered to argue the validity of the statement in terms of my explanation--and that is because you wish to avoid being forced to admit that you consider morality to be objectively absolute because it is the creation of your imaginary friend. It does not judge the content of moral judgments (one of your more idiotic recent claims) because it does not comment on whether or not moral judgments are good or bad, right or wrong. You're trying to set up a basis to once more claim that the statement itself is a moral judgment, something which have failed and continue to fail to do. It certainly concerns itself with the origin of moral judgment. It is completely mute on the content of moral judgment. You're going for emotive points here--i never wrote anything remotely resembling "all moral judgments are just your opinion"--which would be an attempt to belittle moral judgments by an inferential slur on the value of a judgment arising from individual subjectivity. Once again, you're attempting to prepare the ground for a false claim that the statement is itself a moral judgment. Too bad you fail to make your case.

Quote:
How can this be defined as other than a moral judgement itself? That is precisely what it is. The statement is a presumption to define all moral choices and decisions as neither 'moral' nor 'immoral', but only as opinion.

That is moral judgement at it's most basic (though it's contradictory).

Bingo ! ! ! Once again, without a logical basis, you attempt to claim that the statement itself is a moral judgment. To be a moral judgment, it would have to partake of the nature of morality. I'm not going to run off to get another dictionary definition of moral or morality, because you don't have the courage or the honesty to address the implication of those definitions. Using an expression such as "only opinion" is a feeble attempt on your part to describe the "moral judgment" made in stating that all moral judgments are subjective. It is a failed attempt, however, because the statement has no modifiers which value or devalue the judgments. I have not stated that moral judgments are good or bad, right or wrong--i have assigned no value, "moral" or otherwise, to moral judgments. I have simply taken note of their origin. You consistently fail to make your false point that there is contradiction, because you can only do so by attributing to my statement a character which it does not possess.

You are not arguing logically.

Quote:
The contradiction of course, is in the fact that this statement which denies the existence of moral absolutes, is itself stated as a moral absolute.

No, it is not. The statement does not judge the "morality" of moral judgments, it simply notes their origin.

Quote:
One need not even profess a theistic position to see the obvious contradiction in the moral relativists position.

The contradiction you allege is not even apparent, much less obvious--it does not exist. As is so often the case, you utterly fail to make your case when you attempt to do so on a logical basis.

You want to argue against the statement that moral judgments are subjective, but you don't want to discuss the reason which i have given for the statement. You wish to attempt to discredit my statement, without being obliged to offer a coherent alternative explanation for the origin of moral judgment. That is intellectual cowardice and dishonesty.

If you deny that moral judgments are subjective, how do you account for them? What do you allege is the provenance of moral judgment?

Try not to weasel out this time, "real life."
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:59 pm
There are some things that can't be defined. Try defining the color red.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:53 pm
Well, some egghead will probably take you up on that one pretty readily, POM, but how about describing it to someone who had never had the power of sight?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:47 pm
Probably as difficult as it is for a schizophrenic to explain how they know with 100% certainty, that the "messages" from the aliens are real.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 04:46 am
plainoldme wrote:
There are some things that can't be defined. Try defining the color red.
thats not too difficult actually

http://www.answers.com/topic/dominant-wavelength

but you make a good point.

Try defining something which has no existence.
0 Replies