Would the world be better off without religion?

snood

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:39 pm
Laughing

Aw hell - that was funny.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:13 am
We have RL saying... quote "Apparently you don't understand what I've said." unquote... then snood says.. quote " Aw hell - that was funny. unquote

I suppose snood was right???
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:34 am
Whichever is the lesser of the two evils.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:36 am
Yep. Snood understands that real life doesn't understand that he doesn't understand what set says, and that set has rl's argumetns pegged exactly right, and rl still doesn't get it, and that's funny.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:39 am
What most moral relativists fail to take into account is the internal inconsistency in their position.

If all moral judgements are valid, then the moral judgement stated:

"Not all moral judgements are valid."

must be considered valid as well, even though it negates the premise.

It's inherently contradictory nature is glossed over by those who want to continue to maintain that there are no moral absolutes.

So they state a moral absolute that denies the existence of moral absolutes.

Yes, it IS funny, but maybe not why you thought it was.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:50 am
real life wrote:
What most moral relativists fail to take into account is the internal inconsistency in their position.

It's inherently contradictory nature is glossed over by those who want to continue to maintain that there are no moral absolutes.

rl-
It is not a moral judgment to claim that there are no moral absolutes.
(BTW, I am not a moral relativist.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 01:58 pm
echi wrote:
real life wrote:

rl-
It is not a moral judgment to claim that there are no moral absolutes.
(BTW, I am not a moral relativist.)

Sure it is, echi.

To assert 'there are no moral absolutes, i.e. all things are morally permissible' is a judgement of what is and is not moral.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 02:05 pm
real life wrote:

Yes, it IS funny, but maybe not why you thought it was.

Who here has stated that all moral judgments are valid. I don't deny that someone has made that specific claim, but i don't recall it. For myself, i have consistently contended that all "moral" judgments are subjective. That does not mean that they are all "valid," and in fact it means that whether or not they are "valid" is as subjective a statements as that such judgments are moral.

Once again, i don't assert that my judgments are any more well founded than yours, and i reject your claim that there are any moral absolutes. The difference between us is that i recognize that my judgments are subjective, and simply acknowledge that i prefer them.

When you willfully characterize someone's argument in a manner which alters the meaning of what has been written, so that you have grounds to dispute the argument, you are erecting a strawman.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 02:07 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
I see. If I reply, then you must be right, eh?

So if I didn't reply, would you have been wrong? (emoticon removed in the interest of good taste)

If that's the best you can come up with, perhaps it's better for you that you didn't address the question.

Anton is correct that with regard to a logical response to the comments of others, you are usually a run-away train.

This is a perfect example. Anton definitely did not either write or imply that any reply on your part makes you wrong--he specified the type of response you made, not the simple fact of your response. In fact, what he wrote was: Seeing you saw fit to reply as above, perhaps, the comment hit home.. His comment was specific to the manner in which you had replied, not simply the fact that you replied at all.

So, his point is well taken. Logic consistently fails you, and your arguments are so often based on a failure to understand what has been said to you, a willful refusal to understand what has been said to you, or a willful misrepresentation of what has been said to you. The question of morality always finds you sooner or later--and usually sooner than later--asserting that all moral judgments are equal in the estimation of those with whom you discuss the topic, from which you proceed to "accuse" them of believing in a moral absolute, even though the person in question very likely has denied this. However, you always insert that nonsense either without a logical basis, or with no basis at all. So for example, if i point out that moral judgments are subjective, you will leap on that to assert that i have said that all moral judgments have the same value, and that therefore, i in fact believe in moral absolutes. This is in large measure conditioned by your contempt for those who you describe as "moral relativists." However, saying that moral judgments are subjective doesn't mean that all moral judgments have equal value, it in fact means that different people value moral judgments differently--the very antithesis of a moral absolute.

Anton's got you pegged, you just go around and around in the circle of your thought, and never understand, and apparently don't try to understand, what others are saying to you.

Apparently you don't understand what I've said.

What is apparent is that you neither understood Anton nor me. It was not simply that you replied, it was the manner in which you replied. You are the King of the Strawmen.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:49 pm
The moral judgement, stated:

"All moral judgements are subjective."

is an absolute statement denying the existence of moral absolutes.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:55 pm
Show me proof of an anthropomorphic providential Christian god as without which you're just playing with your imaginary friends in a sandbox called moral absolutism.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 06:12 pm
Are you asking for 'natural' proof of the 'supernatural'?

Isn't that a bit like asking to 'hear' tactile information , or 'taste' a sound?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:08 pm
real life wrote:

Isn't that a bit like asking to 'hear' tactile information , or 'taste' a sound?

You seem to require science to prove evolution but you say you don't have to prove your God and the Bible myths, by which you claim to be true?

Is there a double standard here? I know your God practices double standards so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised his followers wouldn't.

If supernatural can't be proven than the Bible can't be taken seriously. It should be taken in the same vain as a Harry Potter novel, an amusing read of make believe stories.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:28 pm
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:

You seem to require science to prove evolution but you say you don't have to prove your God and the Bible myths, by which you claim to be true?

Is there a double standard here? I know your God practices double standards so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised his followers wouldn't.

If supernatural can't be proven than the Bible can't be taken seriously. It should be taken in the same vain as a Harry Potter novel, an amusing read of make believe stories.

If evolutionists claim to have scientific proof of their idea, then what is wrong with asking that it be produced?

I have never claimed that there is 'natural' proof of the 'supernatural'.

It is an absurd request.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:31 pm
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:

If evolutionists claim to have scientific proof of their idea, then what is wrong with asking that it be produced?

I have never claimed that there is 'natural' proof of the 'supernatural'.

It is an absurd request.

Then it is absurd to embrace Creationism or ID. They are both supernatural and no evidence exist for either. There is far more evidence supporting evolution than supernatural myths in the Bible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
Christians believe that God created the physical universe.

In your version of creation, do you claim that the universe erupted from a 'singularity' in an event known as the Big Bang?

If so, what evidence do you have of the existence of this 'singularity'? Where did it come from and how did it get there? Of what was it composed, and how do you know (you have evidence, right?) that this is so?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 08:07 pm
xingu wrote:
I know, isn't that just beautiful!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 08:08 pm
real life wrote:
In your version of creation, do you claim that the universe erupted from a 'singularity' in an event known as the Big Bang?
Go straw man go!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 08:16 pm
real life wrote:
If so, what evidence do you have of the existence of this 'singularity'?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 09:37 pm
real life wrote:
Christians believe that God created the physical universe.

If so, what evidence do you have of the existence of this 'singularity'? Where did it come from and how did it get there? Of what was it composed, and how do you know (you have evidence, right?) that this is so?

Unanswered questions does not make your mythology valid. We know there is a lot we don't know but what we do know is the Bible is WRONG! And you can't give any evidence to support your mythology.
0 Replies