Gov. Patrick's Wife Treated for Depression+Exhaustion

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
Patrick's wife treated for depression
Governor says he'll scale back work schedule

By Lisa Wangsness and Sean P. Murphy, Globe Staff | March 11, 2007

Diane Patrick, the wife of Governor Deval Patrick, is being treated for exhaustion and depression, the governor's office announced last night in a statement.

The governor "will work a flexible schedule for the next few weeks in order to spend more time with her and his family," according to the statement.

Aides to Patrick declined to say whether Diane Patrick had been hospitalized or had suffered from depression or exhaustion in the past.

"The family asks for the prayers and understanding of the public," the statement read. "We also ask respect for the family's privacy at this difficult time."

A partner at the Boston law firm Ropes & Gray, Diane Patrick, 55, said last November that she intended to be more prominent publicly than previous gubernatorial spouses. But she acknowledged she was unsure how to balance the new demands with her legal career.

Following appearances during his inaugural in early January, she has not been highly visible.

It was not immediately clear how much time Patrick would be spending on state business in coming weeks and whether the announcement would trigger a more prominent role for Lieutenant Governor Timothy P. Murray. A source with knowledge of the situation said that a plan would be worked out within the next 24 to 48 hours.

The announcement comes after a difficult week for the new administration, dominated by questions about the governor's call to a financial institution on behalf of a controversial subprime lender, on whose board Patrick once sat. The miscue, the most serious in a series of gaffes since Patrick took office, triggered a mea culpa from the governor and a plea to the public not to lose faith in him.

Diane Patrick was an asset to her husband during his campaign, and was a favorite of his political supporters. She was also viewed as a new model for political spouses, given her résumé of high achievement and her obvious partnership with her husband.

"She's a terrific woman with a very strong marriage," said Philip Johnston, chairman of the Massachusetts Democratic Party. "She's a warm, caring person who played a key role in his election. She was very active in the campaign and at least as popular as Deval."

The governor and his wife appear extremely close.

When Patrick was interviewing a candidate to become his top political strategist, he told him he only had one rule when it came to the campaign schedule: Friday is date night with Diane. He also said recently he was in the "dog house" for not being sufficiently attentive on her birthday.

After her husband's election victory in November, Diane Patrick said she was not sure how to handle her new role as governor's wife . The day after the election, she conducted a conference call for work as her doorbell in Milton was ringing regularly with flower deliveries to congratulate the Patricks on the victory.

"I almost feel like I should go out and try to find a book, 'First Ladies for Dummies,' " she said in an interview the day after the election. "The people I've asked who seem to have some sense of it say, 'Look, this is something you have to figure out on your own with Deval.' "

A spokesman for Ropes & Gray declined to comment last night on whether she has taken a leave of absence.

Patrick's first months in office have been tumultuous. He has drawn criticism for the luxury Cadillac he chose as his official vehicle and the $27,000 worth of furnishings he purchased for his corner office. He has since repaid the state for the furnishings and will pay a portion of the lease payment on the car each month.

Patrick was also criticized when he hired a $72,000-a-year aide for his wife. His administration said the position was necessary given the volume of speaking requests Diane Patrick was receiving. Last night, Patrick spokesman Kyle Sullivan said the aide, Amy Gorin, would continue to work on "research, policy, and scheduling in the governor's office."

Political observers said it was an extraordinary decision for a chief executive to take time away from his duties for personal reasons, especially at such a critical juncture. Patrick is just nine weeks into his term and was expected to spend the coming month lobbying lawmakers to sign on to key portions of the $26.7 billion budget he released late last month.

Most politicians try to give the impression of invincibility, even when they're struggling with personal challenges, said Jeff Berry, a political science professor at Tufts University.

"So I think that this is unusual and I think shows some character on the part of the governor and an acknowledgement that state government is a lot larger than he is," Berry said. "And I think it's important that Diane Patrick went public with this, because it's easy to hide. Who would know?"

Kitty Dukakis, wife of former governor Michael Dukakis, has been outspoken about her long battle with depression during and after her husband's political career. After her husband lost the 1988 presidential election, she later wrote, she struggled with alcohol and with bouts of depression that returned every year. She detailed her successful experience with electroshock treatments last year in her book, "Shock: The Healing Power of Electroconvulsive Therapy," which was co- written with former Boston Globe reporter Larry Tye. She turned to electroshock treatments in 2001 because antidepressants and talk therapy were not helping, she wrote.

"Let me tell you, it's been a miracle in Kitty's life," Michael Dukakis, who now teaches political science at Northeastern University, said in an interview after she went public with her struggle. "I cannot tell you what a difference it's made in her life, in the lives of those of us who love her."

Dr. Maurizio Fava , director of depression treatment at Massachusetts General Hospital, said that 5 percent of Americans are suffering from a major depressive episode and almost 1 in 5 people will experience depression at some point in their lives. Fava said that while he did not know what had caused Diane Patrick's depression, he said extreme stress is a common trigger, even when the cause of stress is positive, such as Deval Patrick's election as governor.

"Change can be stressful regardless of whether it is positive or negative," he said, "because it involves adaptation to a different situation."

"Fatigue is a very common symptom of depression," he said, adding that a tendency to suffer from depression commonly runs in families, including a tendency to slip into a major depressive episode -- which means being unable to function fully for an extended period -- when under stress.

Greg Simon , a psychiatrist for Group Health Cooperative in Seattle and chairman of the scientific advisory board of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance, said twice as many women as men are treated for depression, but statistics show that the affliction affects racial and ethnic groups more or less equally.

"Someone prominent being treated for depression is not new -- what is new and laudable is someone prominent being public about being treated for depression because that helps remove the stigma and helps other people get treatment for themselves," Simon said.

Lisa Wangsness can be reached at [email protected]. Scott Allen and Andrea Estes of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

Boston Globe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,128 • Replies: 25
No top replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Good for him that he's making time for her to help her in difficult times.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
I agree with this, too:

Quote:
"Someone prominent being treated for depression is not new -- what is new and laudable is someone prominent being public about being treated for depression because that helps remove the stigma and helps other people get treatment for themselves," Simon said.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:38 am
nimh wrote:

Not at the taxpayers expense.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:41 am
woiyo wrote:
nimh wrote:

I thought he was hired to do a job. Do we pay him for staying home and taking care of his wife? I know I would only get paid as long as I had time on the books to use. If I don't I can still get the time to care for my wife, but I wouldn't be paid. Does he still get paid?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:42 am
Mwaah I'm sure he still spends more time on the job than George Bush.. how much time was he away from DC clearing brush in Crawford again? :wink:

Seriously though, theres no choice here - either he makes some time or he doesnt. What do you suggest he should do?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:47 am
Baldimo wrote:
I thought he was hired to do a job. Do we pay him for staying home and taking care of his wife?

Umm, he didnt stop working.. all we're talking about here is that:

The governor "will work a flexible schedule for the next few weeks in order to spend more time with her and his family"

Hardly the same as "staying home and taking care of his wife".

I am guessing political preference plays more of a role in the negative assessments here..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
nimh wrote:
Mwaah I'm sure he still spends more time on the job than George Bush.. how much time was he away from DC clearing brush in Crawford again? :wink:

Seriously though, theres no choice here - either he makes some time or he doesnt. What do you suggest he should do?

Um sorry, this one was in response to Woiyo.

One alternative I can see coming up being suggested is that he should just resign.. but apart from being quite silly, that wouldnt exactly be a solution regarding spending taxpayers' money - elections are ridiculously expensive, not to mention not much work being done while the race is on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:50 am
nimh wrote:
I am guessing political preference plays more of a role in the negative assessments here..

I'd say it was the motive of the author, who has already demonstrated herself to be no fan of Patrick. I'd say that someone was just coughing up a hairball (kak, kak, kak) . . .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:57 am
TUESDAY MARCH 13, 2007 Last modified: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:16 AM EDT

Governor's stumbles begin to irk even his most loyal backers

BY JIM HAND SUN CHRONICLE STAFF

Even Gov. Deval Patrick's most loyal supporters are getting concerned about his knack for blundering, but say they are not ready to panic - at least not yet.

The supporters attribute many of his missteps to the rookie mistakes of someone who has never held elective office before and who avoided hiring political pros as advisers.

"He might need someone with him who is a little more savvy, who knows what is going on," Attleboro Democrat Darren Major said Monday.

Major worked hard on Patrick's election campaign and said he knows the governor is extremely intelligent and talented.

But, this first few weeks in office have shown that political and public relations instinct might be missing from Patrick's talents, he said.

Major said what bothers him is that the mistakes are taking attention away from serious issues that need to be addressed.

"The air is being sucked away by the miscues," he said.

This weekend it was announced his wife is suffering from depression and the governor will have to cut back on his workload.

But, the governor's political troubles started immediately after taking office in January.

Patrick has been criticized for approving the lease of a Cadillac as his official car, buying new drapes and furniture for his Statehouse office and hiring an aide for his wife.

He has since agreed to pay for a portion of the use of the Cadillac and the furniture and drapes.

More troublesome to his supporters, is a phone call he made to Citigroup on behalf ACC Capital Holdings, owners of Ameriquest Mortgage, which was seeking financing from Citigroup.

The state Republican Party has filed an ethics complaint against Patrick and he has admitted to making a mistake.

"That made me angry," Major said.

Paul Grady, another Attleboro Democrat who worked hard for Patrick's election, said Patrick's talents as a lawyer and corporate executive do not necessarily serve him well as a political leader who has to be aware of public perception of his actions.

"He's a very talented person and his heart is in the right place. "I'm a little concerned, but not too concerned," Grady said.

Patrick ran as a political outsider and he has generally put non-politicians in high-ranking positions in his administration.

While those hires are consistent with his promise to be a different kind of political leader, it has left him without an adviser who warns him about the image problems that come with traveling around the state in a Cadillac while cutting human service budgets.

"What he needs is some savvy people who have been around for awhile," Grady said.

Patrick has also run afoul of the Legislature as he has dipped into some of its pet projects to fund his own initiatives.

Some have already predicted that his budget is "dead on arrival."

But, state Rep. Steve D'Amico, a freshman himself, said Patrick is merely making some "rookie mistakes" and will rectify the situation soon.

"I don't think anyone is panicking," he said.

However, even Patrick's staunchest backers are saying he has to shape up quickly.

"It's a concern, but hopefully he does get a handle on it soon," said Ellen Parker, a member of the Democratic State Committee.

"If he's still doing this six months from now, then there will be a serious case of panic," Grady said.

Sun Chron.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:09 am
See what i mean?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:10 am
nimh wrote:
nimh wrote:

Um sorry, this one was in response to Woiyo.

One alternative I can see coming up being suggested is that he should just resign.. but apart from being quite silly, that wouldnt exactly be a solution regarding spending taxpayers' money - elections are ridiculously expensive, not to mention not much work being done while the race is on.

Seems to me we hired a 72K/.yr assistant for her. I would suggest that she and her assistant use their time together so she can get healthy.

He was voted in to do a job and so far, it is not working out so well.

If I recall, Former Gov Romney's wife had MS during his term of office. I do not recall him useing that as an excuse.

Maybe Gov Patrick is in over his head.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:28 am
woiyo wrote:
Seems to me we hired a 72K/.yr assistant for her. I would suggest that she and her assistant use their time together so she can get healthy.

Yeah, a political aide will do a dandy job helping her overcome depression and exhaustion. Do you sincerely think it's a proper thing for a spouse to delegate the task of standing by your wife in times of trouble to a paid aide?

woiyo wrote:
If I recall, Former Gov Romney's wife had MS during his term of office. I do not recall him useing that as an excuse.

Some people would say that keeping on working 60 h/w while your wife is battling MS or depression and exhaustion is not actually exactly a positive example to follow. Its not exactly family values, is it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:34 am
Baldimo wrote:
woiyo wrote:
nimh wrote:

I thought he was hired to do a job. Do we pay him for staying home and taking care of his wife? I know I would only get paid as long as I had time on the books to use. If I don't I can still get the time to care for my wife, but I wouldn't be paid. Does he still get paid?

Are you paid hourly, or are you on salary?

I've had to take erratic time off for various reasons, but since I don't punch a clock, as long as I get my job done, it's my business.

Jesus, it's not like someone is signing his time card, and he has to deduct a half hour for lunch.

Ever hear of teamwork?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
I wonder if Miller is going to need treatment for exhaustion from posting so many anti-Patrick articles on A2K. Very Happy
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
woiyo wrote:

Yes, in more ways than one!

Maybe he'll hire someone to hold his hand in addition to holding his wife's hand for $72,000/year. Shocked
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:40 am
Chai wrote:

Ever hear of teamwork?

Sure, if you've got a team, but Patrick's "team" is not functional in it's present state. Do we have to hire a hand holder for the "team"? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:50 pm
nimh wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Yeah, a political aide will do a dandy job helping her overcome depression and exhaustion. Do you sincerely think it's a proper thing for a spouse to delegate the task of standing by your wife in times of trouble to a paid aide?

woiyo wrote:

Some people would say that keeping on working 60 h/w while your wife is battling MS or depression and exhaustion is not actually exactly a positive example to follow. Its not exactly family values, is it?

Some may call it being responsible to your position as Chief Executive of the State.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 12:53 pm
Sometimes I think the less time people spend governing us, the better for us.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 01:04 pm
Well, he can take a leave of absense or resign. I would repect that.
0 Replies