• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,661 • Replies: 10
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 10:14 am
Re: English grammar
cdieoxide wrote:

That is not true. No native speaker would ever say that second sentence. They would say, "What did you say your name was?".

The past tense, "was" matches the past tense "did".

Quote:
... and of "He doesn't work as hard as she does." is "he doesn't work hard as she."

That's not right either. The first sentence is correct. The second is

(1) Missing an 'as'.
(2) Should start with a capital letter.

It should read "He doesn't as work hard as she." That is, the word "does" has been removed from the first sentence. Then it would be correct
too, although rather old fashioned.

You will often find "He does not work as hard as her" as well.
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:22 am
contrex...............may be you are right in saying that no native English speaker uses such sentences. But these sentences are right according to grammatical rules as its already been checked. I wanted to know the reasons. Are you an American English speaker or British...........may be it matters in thier usage. In fact I want to know the grammatical exact rules and reasons, not the colloquial or informal usage.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
Your sentence, "He doesn't work hard as she" is wrong! It should be "He doesn't work AS hard as she" to be correct.

You are rude and ignorant. If you are so clever, find out elsewhere!
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:49 am
Contrex.............my heartly apologies.............I really did not mean to be rude or hurt you. In fact I wanted to get the exact answers of my questions. Yes you are right in saying that I am ignorant. If I am not why would have I asked.
May be my way of writing was not good. Sorry again
But thanks for your correction............the sentence "he doesn't work hard as she" is really wrong. In fact it was my mistake that I did not write it correctly and missed 'as' in copying it. The correct one which I also have is "he doesn't work as hard as she" as you have also mentioned.
bye
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:12 pm
OK I forgive you. Now tell me what you want to know, and I will try to help you. I am sorry i was angry. I will be your friend!
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 05:06 am
Ok...........no use of the word 'sorry' again.
In fact I want to know the exact reasons that why these sentences are wrong. The reasons, according to grammatical rules.
Thanx
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
cdieoxide wrote:
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:03 am
Thank you Roberta. I am waiting for your reply.
Here are some other sentences also, and I want to know the grammatical reasons for it. These are; "I've been to China last year.", is this a right sentence? If not then what is the mistake? Other two sentences are "I would of liked to have seen that." and "I regret to have damaged your book."What are the mistakes in these two sentences also? The correct sentences which I have for these two are; "I would like to have seen that." and "I regret having damaged your book." or "I regret damaging your book." respectively.
Please give sincere guidance.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:16 am
cdieoxide wrote:
Thank you Roberta. I am waiting for your reply.
Here are some other sentences also, and I want to know the grammatical reasons for it. These are; "I've been to China last year.", is this a right sentence? If not then what is the mistake? Other two sentences are "I would of liked to have seen that." and "I regret to have damaged your book."What are the mistakes in these two sentences also? The correct sentences which I have for these two are; "I would like to have seen that." and "I regret having damaged your book." or "I regret damaging your book." respectively.
Please give sincere guidance.

cdie, I can give you answers, but I'm not good with the reasons. Sorry.

I've been to China last year.", The tense is wrong here. It should be the past tense; "last year" is very specific. You could say, "I was in China last year," or, "I visited China last year." If you remove "last year," then you can say, "I've been to China."

"I would of liked to have seen that." This is a common mistake even for native English speakers. "Of" is a preposition and does not belong in the sentence. It makes no sense. "Have liked" creates a verb form and is correct. "I would have liked to have seen that."

I'm sorry I can't be more specific. I really don't have the time to look up the answers for you. I'm sorry.

Maybe someone else will come along who can be of more help.
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 03:21 am
Its ok Roberta. Thanks again.
0 Replies