Dual Master Bedrooms?

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 11:44 am
Must be more of a Northeast thing drewdad.

When I was really little, 3 generations lived under one roof, each family had it's own separate quaters. The only common area was the kitchen and dining room. There was...

Grandma with her little suite of rooms,
Uncle, Aunt and their son
My parents and us 4 (at the time) kids.

I have only vague memories, but my brothers remembered sitting on Grandpa's lap for dinner, eating off the same plate (tasted better that way).

Well, I do have one strong memory of visiting my Grandma every day, eating m&m's and keeping her company while she watched her "stories"

When I was 4 my uncle and father completed 3 separate places for us, all on the same property.

I saw my grandmother every day until I was 19.

I have friends growing up that lived like this too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 02:56 pm
DrewDad wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, that was an aspect of the NYT article, that in terms of real estate there is an expectation that separate apartments in the same building are the next trend for married couples.

My own ideal (though I lack the family to make it work) is something I read about a few years ago. Two brothers and their families live in a three-story brownstone in NYC. One family lives on the first floor, one family lives on the third floor, and the second floor is a common area -- kitchen, dining room, family room, etc. Each family has one kid each.

These people are insane.

If we lived in the same building with either my brother or sister-in-law, there would soon be a homicide investigation....

Same here, DrewDad.

And I'm not entirely sure who'd fire the first shot. Could be any of us.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:33 pm
I agree with both perspectives, actually. Love the idea, can't see it happening with any of our actual relatives.

That seems like a really cool way to grow up, though, Chai.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 13 Mar, 2007 03:44 pm
I have similar memories like Chai, of my grandparents living next door
and I was able to see them every day. I loved it! My mother hated it!
For children it would be ideal to have more generations in one house, for
the adults it could create a nightmare.

I could live with my mother in the house,
but not my brother, resp. his wife. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:30 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Typical French! Laughing
Some people actually sleep in their beds, Francis.

Oh, yeah? How come? (No pun intended.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:37 am
Eva wrote:

But we miss each other. Like Bear said, slipping between the sheets and feeling the other one there is like coming home...ahhh!

Unless I'm sick....

Well, of course you're sick. You just agreed with Bear.

Feel better soon. And, try not to do that again. Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:48 am
CalamityJane wrote:

When I was a kid, we lived in a two family house. My father's parents lived in the second apartment. My mother could not stand her mother-in-law, my grandmother, whom I adored.

It was a family "rule" that we had to go to the grandparent's place on the weekends, when nana would make a huge dinner. My mother hated that, as she felt that she was stuck being somewhere that she did not want to be.

Since we have been married, my husband and I have always had a house with two bathrooms. We each use a different one exclusively, rarely venturing into the other's bathroom.

I am a very quick person, in just about everything that I do, whereas my husband is a bit, shall we say, "laid back". If I had to wait until he came out of the bathroom, I would go nuts. I always said that if we had to share a bathroom, there would either be a divorce.................or a homicide!

As far as living with family, I don't think that I would ever want to do it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:08 am
oh yeah, 2 bathrooms are an absolute necessity.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:18 am
another thing I don't understand is peoples obsession with their bathrooms. They do everything in them but pull up a tv tray and eat while they're defecating.

Outside of it being clean, what in God's name do I care about a place I wash up, shave, shower urinate and defecate. I have a whole house full of comfortable rooms dedicated to everything else.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:22 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
squinney can sleep through a herd of buffalo running through the bedroom.... she also has the ability to fall off to sleep in seconds no matter what's going on.... I envy her that....

Bear It is clear to me you are my long lost brother and I think we may have married twins.
fall asleep at the drop of a hat -yup thats my girl, sleep through a SWAT raid not a problem.
Does squinney say "I'm going to bed" then does 6 other things?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:29 am
dadpad wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
squinney can sleep through a herd of buffalo running through the bedroom.... she also has the ability to fall off to sleep in seconds no matter what's going on.... I envy her that....

Bear It is clear to me you are my long lost brother and I think we may have married twins.
fall asleep at the drop of a hat -yup thats my girl, sleep through a SWAT raid not a problem.
Does squinney say "I'm going to bed" then does 6 other things?

oooohhhhh yeah......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:35 am
Chai wrote:
oh yeah, 2 bathrooms are an absolute necessity.

ohhhhhyeah.

My ideal home would be small.. 2000 sq feet or less.

4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms.

A bathroom for the He-wolf, a bathroom for the SHE wolf, and a bathroom for the Pup wolf.

He is a slob in the bathroom and it drives me batshit.
Jillian loves to play in the WHOLE bathroom while taking a bath and , though I dont mind it, I would need to have rugs every where so the floor doesnt rot from a water over dose.

I love to have an almost bare bathroom with only gray or green walls.
No soaps visable, no shampoos on the tub, no razors, no toys.. nothing..
Empty. Clean . Quiet.

I want a room for my stuff. A reading room/display room for me and my things.

A toy room for the Mister. Where he can hang his guitars, store his amps and drums, and play on his computer with out me having to kick **** out of the way to get around.

Jillian of course gets her own room, ( probally the biggest one) so she can have her toys out, and space to play in and not have to put everything up every day so she can walk around her room.

Then there is a room for Ian and I to sleep in / keep our clothes..etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
CalamityJane wrote:

My mom takes care of my youngest so she gets to see her every day - its great for my parents and my child; being retired my dad has some one to keep him occupied and my daughter loves being with her grandparents.

The hard part is when they start school - they don't get to see them quite as often.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:21 am
CalamityJane wrote:

Me too! Laughing I'd see Grandma coming down the path and I'd be thrilled; mom would go hide in the back room...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 11:29 am
The lady Diane and I have dual bedrooms, they just happen to occupy the same space saving us the need to buy another bed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
I saw this and was shocked. If your spouse snores REALLY bad, I can understand. But for me, the situation would have to be severe for me to not sleep in the same room.

But thats just me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:27 pm
shocked!

oh my!!!

Just last night, I went to bed around 10pm. He came in around 11:30. Must have been in a light sleep because I sorta work up and mumbled…gnight mluvu…

Then, all of a sudden I needed to turn over. Then my left leg had a hitch in the knee and I had to stretch. Then got an itch on my right shoulder blade. Then came the cough, the right hip was uncomfortable, eyebrow itched, then back of head….I'm sure if I'd been alone I wouldn't have felt anything but an itch on my nose, but sometimes, knowing you should be still makes every jerk.

So I got up, flipping the alarm button as I left, walked 10 feet and climbed in the other bed, flipped on that alarm, then never moved.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 12:56 pm
Sleeping in a seperate room/bed now and then is one thing. Building your own bedroom is another.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 01:10 pm
I don't get the difference.

If you're building a house and you want 3 or 4 or whatever # of bedrooms, you just build it. A room is basically a box, what you call it or put into it is private.

I don't think it's good to put conditions on two peoples sleeping arrangements, like saying it's fine if you "occassionally" don't sleep together. It's just as fine if a couple says they only occassionally DO sleep together, and the norm is sleeping in separate beds, or separate rooms. I mean, who's to say what's right or wrong, as long as both people are happy with the situation.

The day after this thread started, GMA did a piece on this subject. I was just home for the preview, and I said to my husband, "hey, I'll bet you'll stay to watch this...It's the latest thing".

he said "WOW, we're Trendsetters"

I wonder how many people watched this who were feeling odd about sleeping apart, and felt better knowing they weren't alone.

I guess the operative word with all this is "sleep"
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:15 pm
Well, for me I don't like the idea of living/sleeping in seperate rooms.

Do it if you want but I think part of being married is sleeping with the person you married. To have sex in one room and then leave to sleep in another is a little weird to me.

And apparently you missed the "but that's just me" part of my post.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:27:20