Dual Master Bedrooms?

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:28 am
CNN is reporting that by 2015 60% of custom built homes will have dual master bedrooms because there is a trend towards spouses not sleeping together due to snoring, different work schedules, etc.

I don't sleep that well when Bear is coming and going at night for work, and I imagine my snoring is something that bothers him on ocassion... But separate bedrooms?

Is that an acceptable solution? Anyone here doing that now? How does that effect ones marriage?

s(I'd LOVE my own bathroom) quinney
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,320 • Replies: 174
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:34 am
In my understanding, many extremely wealthy families have had dual master bedrooms for years. Usually they were connected, so the partners could get together when they wished.

I would suspect that the emergence of two career households has sparked in interest in dual bedrooms amongst the middle class. Also, in my retirement community, I happen to know of a number of older couples who sleep in separate bedrooms, usually because of snoring, tossing and turning, etc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:40 am
Back in the days before indoor plumbing, it was quite common for m'lord and m'lady to have separate dressing rooms (which were also sleeping quarters for the valet and the lady's maid).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:45 am
Come to think of it, I have visited a number of estates that were turned into museums. There always were "his" and "her" bedrooms in the main house.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:46 am
Seperate bathrooms, to me with the husband I bought , is almost a necessity.

Seperate bedrooms?

uh.. why?

To me that seems.. odd.

He snores so bad he can wake Bean up in the next room. Im sure I wake him with my snoring.
All we do is push each other during the night for a few minutes of peace and quiet to be able to fall asleep, then we snore together..

poor bean
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 06:51 am
shewolfnm- If the snoring is excessive, one or both of you may have sleep apnea. That is potentially very dangerous, because what is happening is that the person who snores is not getting enough oxygen to his/her brain.

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html

A person can be tested for sleep apnea. If it is severe, a C-Pap machine can be used.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:19 am
squinney sounds like an oncoming train carrying asthmatic livestock most nights.... but I still don't want to sleep in a seprerate bed from her. I love her way too much for that. When I come home in the middle of the night and slip into bed next to her... see the outline of her body, feel the heat in the bed and snuggle up to her or merely place my hand on her back or shoulder as I drift off to sleep I feel like I've slid into home and the ump just yelled "Safe".

I hope to die in bed next to squinney.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:22 am
Whatever solution is acceptable to the couple - what does it matter? If it makes it easier to sleep and the couple is happy with it, then fine separate bedrooms/dual master bedrooms.

I do that push my husband thing when he snores too. If that works for you then shove each other. Whichever works for the couple and makes them happy is an acceptable solution.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:35 am
My husband and I sleep in the same bed, oh....maybe 2/3's of the time.
We sleep together in what we call "the cowboy room" because that's the room in the house where he puts up any decorations he wants....the sheets have buffalos on them...really.

The room right next to it is "my" room, as it's got the exercise stuff and a bathroom. If one of use is restless in the night, one of us will move to that room.

"My" room also has 2 beds in it, so once in a while we'll sleep in there, in 2 different beds.

Sometimes one of us will just need our own space, and will sleep in that room too.

We went through a period of weirdness about it, but actually, if we are in 2 different rooms with both doors open, we can carry on a conversation, and the way the rooms are set up, we're maybe 10 feet apart. If works for us.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
I think you need to be in the same bed as your partner in case of those unexpected emergency boners....
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:39 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think you need to be in the same bed as your partner in case of those unexpected emergency boners....

We're only 10 feet apart, he doesn't even need to scunch over to the edge of the bed. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:40 am
but how's the girth?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:49 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
but how's the girth?

like sharpening a pencil in a well
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
oops

wrong thread
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
but how's the girth?

like sharpening a pencil in a well

even a pipe organ seems small in the middle of the Sistine Chapel....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 07:57 am
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-05-08/images/tunnelrun.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:22 am
Gee whiz, Chai. How on earth do the two of you decide where to sleep? Do you just say "I'm sleeping in my room tonight. See ya in the morning?" What if you don't want him in yur room that night? What if he doesn't want you on his buffalo's? If you go to your room and he decides to sleep in there too, is that okay?

That all seems so complicated, but maybe that's just cause it would raise such a stink at our house.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:27 am
No, it's not complicated.

Most of the times we sleep together. The other bedroom is for whoever wakes up in the middle of the night and has to move around, or I'll go in there if he's snoring really loud.

Sometimes one or the other of us just wants to sleep alone, and goes in there.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:29 am
squinney can sleep through a herd of buffalo running through the bedroom.... she also has the ability to fall off to sleep in seconds no matter what's going on.... I envy her that....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
Big article in the NYT about this one with some of the whys and hows:

To Have, Hold, and Cherish, Until Bedtime
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dual Master Bedrooms?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:29:04