Iranian twins conjoined at the head die.

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
I'm looking at a headline saying "They knew the risks" and have seen news reports citing those risks as 50/50 for each twin.

I'm wondering if the doctors actually cited such a statistic or if the news reports were citing speculation by the medical community.

AP wrote:
Fifty grueling hours into an unprecedented operation to separate adult twins conjoined at the head, Dr. Keith Goh's heart sank.

He was working furiously Tuesday to save Laleh Bijani, who began bleeding profusely the moment surgeons made the final cut to separate her from her sister, Ladan.

Gone was the sound of classical music that played the day before. The small room was mostly silent except for the surgeons' instructions and the beeps and pulses of the monitors.

Then Goh glanced over at Ladan. She was losing blood even faster.

The 29-year-old Iranian twins died shortly thereafter - Ladan at 2:30 p.m. and Laleh 90 minutes later. Both were still under anesthesia.

''I was very saddened,'' said Goh, the lead surgeon. ''I saw them struggling - of course at the same time we were struggling too.''

In their homeland, Iranians cried out in shock or wept as state television announced the deaths of the twins from a poor family who touched the world with their determination to lead separate lives - and to see each other face-to-face, rather than in a mirror.

''Is my beloved Ladan really not with us anymore?'' Zari, an elder sister, told The Associated Press after the first death was reported in Iran. Seconds later, she fainted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fealola

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:38 pm
That is so sad. They seemed like beautiful young women. I'm sure the surgeons were confident that there was at least a 50% chance and they weren't just trying something for fame and recocnigition. At least I hope so. Can you imagine the bond the sisters must have had and the pact they must have made together in order to go through this. What an incredible story.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:43 pm
I THINK I saw a press conference where they said they knew there was a 50% chance they might die. Cannot recall the exact words now - I got the sense they were well aware....they certainly seemed very bright young women.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:44 pm
I wonder hpw the doctors are taking it. I used to teach English to a doctor who would separate twins, this operation came with some mean surprises and I wonder what they are thinking now.

It sounds like halfway through, they started doubting and even asked relatives if they wanted to proceed at all costs or not.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:52 pm
I've just been watching this on the news - the doctors seemed as upset as family. they said they had got very close over the 6 months working with the twins. Many of the medical team were crying.

My husband was raving about 'it shouldn't be allowed' , because of the risk, but i believe in freedom of choice and they stated clearly in the interviews shown, that they understood the risks and were willing to take them, although convinced that they would survive.

They were incredible personalities, coping with the awful disability they had to live with - never being alone, always having to consider the other before moving anywhere .....I think I would have risked the op in their situation.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
I don't think this was even close to wrong from a medical ethics standpoint.

The doctors believed there was a reasonable chance. They were blindsided a few times by factors that they could not have known before operating.

The twins reportedly insisted that their quality of life was horrible, having to agree on what time to wake up or what career to take.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
This seems to support all that's being said here (50/50 chance for each twin, they knew the risks, etc.) It also seems to indicate that things were getting worse, so even *without* the surgery, something bad may have happened soon.

Iranian Twins Say Their Fate Up to God
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:07 pm
Yes - one wanted to be a lawyer - the other....I forget.

And, they looked physically uncomfortable.

I reckon I would have gone for it, too.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:08 pm
(Is the peanut butter working, Craven?)
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:08 pm
The other wanted to be a journalist, I believe.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:11 pm
Journalist.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:12 pm
http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=scienceNews&storyID=3056207
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:15 pm
Quote:

USA Today

The link also has a thirteen-set photoseries.
0 Replies