Gastric Banding

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:57 pm
I was wondering if anyone else here has had or heard of Gastric banding? i had this surgey done about 3 years ago now and it was a miricle operation for me.Before i had my op done i weighed in at 25stone and now i am 9.7 stones.i have lost more than 15 stone with this op.All though i had this done it was a last resort for me,my health was very poor at the time of surgery and i had problems during the op.My eating now is completly diffrent it has been a turning point in my life.I have if i am lucky 1 meal a day and usually only about 4 maybe 5 spoonfulls of soft food.But in the long run yes i have to say it has been worth it,i have been given a second chance at life and dont intend to waste it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,631 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:13 pm
silky, for those of us across the ocean, what does a stone equal in pounds?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:34 pm
Well, it's about a 62% drop in body weight. On this continent, they isolate most of the stomach with staples, but only in extreme cases. It does restrict the diet a bit, especially no carbonated beverages, if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
1 stone = 14lbs

you have done incredibly well! is the operation permanent or will it be reversed?
0 Replies

silkylegs

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 06:46 am
This is a pemenant procedure its costs too much to put the band in place,let alone the band itself costs alot of money,but honestly it is so worth it.Here in Britian they no longer staple your stomach,this is the new procedure to replace that,as it was causing too many serious and sometimes fatal after effects of the procedure.And thank you for your congrats i really didnt realize that it was 62% of my body mass that i had lost wow that has even shocked me Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:30 am
By a remarkable coincidence, I read an article about the procedure in the Wall Street Journal after posting here, and yep, we are still stapling. Focus of the story, by the way, was that some few patients were deliberately gaining the final 15 or 20 pounds needed to qualify for the procedure.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:47 am
Wow, grats indeed, now that I know what a stone is! It is interesting to note that the banding is a safer procedure than the stapling....I am guessing the new procedure will spread quickly. What did Carny Wilson get? Was that stapling or banding?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
Those Google ads can be mighty useful -- clicked on one above, found lots of info.

http://www.belighter.com/

There was a really good long article in either the nyt or the New Yorker about this. It's complicated, including raising questions about the biological origin of willpower. Glad things are going well for you, silky legs, as I know it's very, very risky.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:04 am
Extra-Large Cheese Fries And A Nice Bloody Catheter
Another perspective from Mark Mulford, San Francisco Gate
== Extra-Large Cheese Fries And A Nice Bloody Catheter ==

Some incredibly frustrated and rather scary dieters are doing what once
would have been unthinkable -- eating more to gain massive weight to
qualify for drastic and painful stomach-tying weight-loss surgery because, well, god forbid they radically change their lifestyles or anything, I mean Jesus with a cheez log.

Desperate patients who are turned down for the surgery because they don't weigh enough are returning to doctors' offices weeks or months later after intentionally gaining 10, 15 or even 25 pounds to qualify to have their guts sliced open with a scalpel and their stomachs tied off with surgical string so it makes it into this little pouch-like thingy that only holds a fraction of the pizza it once did, and then they endure months of recovery and painful scar tissue and karmic hole-punches and possible complications and the deep, subconscious feeling that they just contributed to something deeply troubling and wrong and quite possibly unnecessary to the Mystery; and sure this sort of obesity must be incredibly difficult to bear so there's this weird resistance to saying too much about this, but then again, maybe not, maybe there really is a more holistic and willpower-based alternative to having your bodysliced apart.

Feel, won't you, the sticky ugly heat rising from this topical hot button. Yay.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2003/07/08/financial0959EDT0043.DTL&nl=fix
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:45 pm
I found the article! I'm so happy!

It's very, very interesting:

http://www.lifelinewls.com/ftp/New%20Yorker%20Article.pdf
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:56 pm
Here's just one part, brought to mind by the line "because, well, god forbid they radically change their lifestyles or anything, I mean Jesus with a cheez log."

Quote:
It is hard to contemplate the human appetite without wondering if we have say over our lives at all. We believe in will -- in the notion that we have a choice over such simple matters as whether to sit still or stand up, to talk or not talk, to have a slice of pie or not. Yet very few people, whether heavy or slim, can voluntarily reduce their weight for long. The story of weight loss treatment is one of nearly unremitting failure. Whatever the regimen-liquid diets, high-protein diets, or grapefruit diets, the Zone, Atkins, or Dean Ornish diet--people lose weight quite readily, but they do not keep it off. A 1993 National Institutes of Health expert panel reviewed decades of diet studies and found that between ninety and ninety-five per cent of people regained one third to two-so any weight lost within a year--and all of it within five years.

Doctors have wired patients jaws closed, inflated plastic balloons inside their stomachs, performed massive excisions of body fat, prescribed amphetamines and large amounts of thyroid hormone, even performed neurosurgery to destroy the hunger centers in the brain's hypothalamus and still people do not keep the weight off. Jaw wiring, for example, can produce substantial weight loss, and patients who ask for the procedure are highly motivated; yet some still take in enough liquid calories through their closed jaws to gain weight, and the others regain it once the wires are removed. We are a species that has evolved to survive starvation, not to resist abundance.

Children are the surprising exception to this history of failure. Nobody would argue that children have more self-control than adults; yet in four randomized studies of obese children between the ages of six and twelve, those who received simple behavioral teaching (weekly lessons for eight to twelve weeks followed by monthly meetings for up to a year) ended up markedly less overweight than those who didn't; thirty percent were no longer obese. Apparently children's appetites are malleable. Those of adults are not.

I'm so happy I found this article because it's something I've thought of often in discussions about weight. I've tried to remember this line a million times, I think it's great: "We are a species that has evolved to survive starvation, not to resist abundance."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:09 pm
One more excerpt -- sorry, I'm a geek about this kind of thing (why weird humans are so weird). I think it's fascinating.

Quote:
Consider a 1998 report concerning two men, "BR" and "RH," who suffered from profound amnesia. Like the protagonist in the movie "Memento," they could carry on a coherent conversation with you, but, once they had been distracted, they recalled nothing from as recently as a minute before, not even that they were talking to you. (BR had had a bout of viral encephalitis; RH had had a severe seizure disorder for twenty years.) Paul Rozin, a professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania, thought of using them in an experiment that would explore the relationship between memory and eating. On three consecutive days, he and his team brought each subject his typical lunch (BR got meat loaf, barley soup, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, bread, butter, peaches, and tea; RH got veal parmigiana with pasta, string beans, juice, and apple crumb cake). Each day, BR ate all his lunch, and RH could not quite finish. Their plates were then taken away. Ten to thirty minutes later, the researchers would reappear with the same meal. "Here's lunch," they would announce. The men ate just as much as before. Another ten to thirty minutes later, the researchers again appeared with the same meal. "Here's lunch," they would say, and again the men would eat. On a couple of occasions, the researchers even offered RH a fourth lunch. Only then did he decline, saying that his stomach was a little tight". Stomach stretch receptors weren't completely ineffectual. Yet, in the absence of a memory of having eaten, social context alone,-someone walking in with lunch-was enough to re-create appetite.
0 Replies

BandAid

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 08:05 pm
Re: Gastric Banding
silky_legs wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else here has had or heard of Gastric banding? i had this surgey done about 3 years ago now and it was a miricle operation for me.

I have the band. I'm very happy with how things are progressing. I've lost 50 pounds since February.

Silky_legs, do you use any online support message boards? You'd be a great inspiration to some of my online band friends! Congratulations to you on your success!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 09:44 pm
anyone notice the goole ads right now are on gastric banding - wonder how CDK does that Wink
0 Replies

shamar60

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 06:32 pm
Gastric bypass operation
I am interested if anyone knows about Gastric bypass. It is done with laser. I am going to have it soon, I am very nervous. Just a few good words would help and a little knowledge. Rolling Eyes
Gastric banding and gastric bypass could be the same thing that silky legs talked about Sept.03, 2003. Embarrassed
If so I am sorry for repeating what has already been discussed. But a few words of comfort from those who have had it done, would be appreciated.

Thank you and god bless . shamar60 Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 07:11 pm
Just now I'm beginning to hear about something being described as a pacemaker for the stomach. Out patient surgery, and it's getting good results on the majority, but not all, who are trying it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 10:10 pm
Stomach pace maker
This is my topic post about the stomach pace maker ---BBB

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13607&highlight=
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 07:57 am
I thought that was where I'd seen it BBB, and would have credited the source had I been sure.
0 Replies