What would be proper use of these..

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:34 pm
a & an. I usually just use the one that sounds better or smoother. Is the proper rule, use "an" along with a word starting with a vaul?

I would like to use words correctly. "Got", is a word That I don't like for some reason. When I use this word, as in "I got", it sometimes sounds like I skipped english grammer in school.

My lack of proper pronounciation, seems like it is lazy or just habit, and of course ignorance. Is there a book that one would recommend in my attempt to speak English with dignity? Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 684 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
A & An... Indefinite Articles
As you suggest, Snookered, the "An" is used to modify words beginning with a vowel. Usage is based on sound. There is a gray area with words which may sound as though they begin with a vowel, e.g. those starting with an "H" ... e.g. "an hour" not "a hour." or those words which sound as though they begin with a consonant... e.g. "a union" not "an union." Most dictionaries will provide the correct indefinite article to use.

I agree that "Got" often sounds awkward though it is fine as the past form of "get." Generally you can substitute "received" and feel better about yourself. Wink

The BBC (What could be more dignified?) has a basic English website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/

but there are loads of them online.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:12 pm
Great site
Thank you so much.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:19 pm
You are welcome, Snookered,. Welcome to a2k, too. I hope you find other threads of interest.
0 Replies

cdieoxide

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 02:10 am
I agree with Piffka. The use of 'a' and 'an' is not only specifised with words starting with vowel letters. Like the work 'honest' when it is pronounced. it does not give the sound of 'h' but sounds like 'o' so we write it 'an honest man' not 'a honest man. And the use of 'a' is very simple, like when we say 'one boy' we use 'a boy'.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:02 pm
A missing issue here is the one about the difference between spoken and written English.

(1) Usage of "got" is widespread in spoken English but tends to frowned on written English where there is time to find an appropriate alternative, Similarly (2) the "a"->"an" rule before a "vowel" originates in the phonetics of English (speech) where "vowels" are not merely the five (written) symbols "a e i o u". Hence, for example, "a union" is correct because the noun starts with a phonetic consonant ("y"). Interestingly we have etymological interference with this phonetic ruling in respect of the item "an hotel" because the silent "h" (from the French) is now rare except for "British upper class English" .
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:39 pm
I agree, orally is when I realize that there could have been a better word choice. Using "I got it" instead of "I understand", is an example of my choice of usage that I dislike.
0 Replies