Saddam if ya do, Saddam if ya don't

PDiddie

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:48 pm
This is not a man who is an ascetic like Osama bin Laden who is willing to go live in a cave for a long period of time and be cut off from the outside world. This is a man who's used to his palaces and his luxuries.
Dick Cheney
Meet the Press
March 16, 2003

Don't let what the administration publicly says fool you. The top focus of the intelligence community is finding this guy and his top guys. We are really targeting him like we have never targeted leadership before.
former CIA analyst Michael Swetnam
AP interview
March 31, 2003

I don't know whether he survived. The only thing I know is he's losing power.
George W. Bush
Press Conference with Tony Blair
April 8, 2003

He's either dead, or he's incapacitated, or he's healthy and cowering in some tunnel someplace trying to avoid being caught.
Donald Rumsfeld
Pentagon briefing
April 9, 2003

We still must capture, account for, or otherwise deal with Saddam Hussein and his sons and the senior Iraqi leadership.
Donald Rumsfeld
Pentagon briefing
April 9, 2003

Q: Well, on the top list, you said must capture or otherwise deal with ...
Rumsfeld: I didn't say "must" to any of these. I said these are on our priority list.
Q: Must capture or otherwise deal with Saddam Hussein and his sons ...
Rumsfeld: No "musts." No "must."
Donald Rumsfeld
Pentagon briefing
April 11, 2003

We have no information about the whereabouts of Saddam Hussein. We don't know if he is dead or if he is alive, but clearly he is no longer in control . . . Where he is as an individual I don't know, but it really doesn't make any difference any more.
Colin Powell
Interview with Indonesian TV
April 10, 2003

I don't know the whereabouts of Saddam Hussein; I don't know if he's dead or alive. I do know he's no longer in power.
George W. Bush
Press Remarks
April 11, 2003

All of our intelligence has not shown him to be alive any place.
Paul Wolfowitz
Briefing for Arab/Muslim Media
April 11, 2003

He's either dead or he's running a lot. But he is not commanding anything right now.
Gen. Tommy Franks
ABC This Week
April 13, 2003

I think he is dead. The good news is that his regime is no longer a threat to the people of Iraq nor to the U.S. or our allies.
White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card
On-line chat
April 16, 2003

If he is alive, I would suggest he not pop his head up.
George W. Bush
Press Remarks
April 20, 2003

Q: How important is it that we find Saddam Hussein, dead or alive?
Lugar: I think it's very important, but I think it's a fairly low priority . . . Saddam and the findings on him will come along, but that ought not to be a total preoccupation.
Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind.
Meet the Press
April 20, 2003

People wonder if he is dead or not. There is some evidence that suggests he might be.
George W. Bush
NBC Dateline
April 24, 2003

I think we did get Saddam Hussein. He was seen being dug out of the rubble and wasn't able to breathe.
Dick Cheney
Speech at Southern Methodist University
May 6, 2003

Certainly, we would like to find Saddam Hussein if he is, indeed, still alive, and his sons. [But] this is not Osama bin Laden who's going to hide in some cave and be a mystical figure.
Condoleeza Rice
Meet the Press
June 8, 2003

To the extent that it is not proven that he is not alive there are people who might fear that he could come back.
Donald Rumsfeld
Media Availability
June 9, 2003

The noose is going to get tighter and tighter.
L. Paul Bremer
Press Interview
June 29, 2003

I think he's still in the country. We'll catch him. He has a lot of places to hide, but we'll catch him.
L. Paul Bremer
Press Interview
June 30, 2003

If he is alive, it will be helpful to the Iraqi people to have closure and certainty; for people to know that Saddam Hussein is dead, that he will not return.
Ari Fleischer
Press Briefing
July 2, 2003

We must find Saddam Hussein and his sons. When we do, then the people of Iraq will no longer live in fear of his return.
Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan.
Press Conference
July 3, 2003

The U.S. Government will offer monetary rewards of up to $25 million for information leading to the capture of Saddam Hussein, and $15 million for each of his sons.
Coalition Provisional Authority
Press Release
July 3, 2003

I have certainly not forgotten Saddam Hussein and his sons. They may or may not still be alive. Until we know for sure, their names will continue to cast a shadow of fear over this country.
L. Paul Bremer
Address to the Iraqi People
July 3, 2003

The coming days will, God willing, be days of hardship and trouble for the infidel invaders.
Saddam Hussein
taped message
aired by Al-Jazeera TV July 4, 2003

Stupid? Liars? Or both?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,366 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:24 pm
Saddam liked to portray him self as the modern Saladin. The current situation plays right into his fantasies, I'm willing to bet he will be around for a while.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:24 pm
PD: I'm feeling a bit lightheaded after reading that, so to give a simple answer to your own question at the end:

YES

Laughing Embarrassed Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:27 pm
Wait, where is the "at IHOP" option?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
The fact that he is alive, which from all indications he, presents a serious problem. He is both a rallying point for his followers and source of trepidation to those who would support and work with the coalition. Saddam casts a long shadow over Iraq and he is far from neutralized.
This administration from it's leader on down has foot in mouth disease. If there is a wrong thing to say they will find it.

Better to be thought a fool than opening your mouth and proving it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:26 pm
if I have told you all once I have told you a million times, he and osama have adjoining homes just off the 7th tee at Palm Springs (across the fairway from Bob Hope)
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 05:46 pm
Dys, you weren't supposed to let the general public know that - geez - now, what will happen to your security clearance?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:04 pm
i've always been insecure.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
I would not be surprised if he were alive or if he were dead. I don't expect his being dead to pacify the Iraqis who do not want us there; so I don't know that it even matters.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:52 pm
I would say that it has finally begun to dawn on the Junta that they have overreached, and that the continued bloodshed in a nation in which the war was declared to have been won more than two months ago is beginning to make them nervous. Their collective and individual political futures are at stake. In actual fact, since some of them do seem to have some intelligence, they may also realize that capturing or definitively declaring Saddam & Sons dead would work to their disadvantage. At least in the current situation they can make the feeble excuse that the G.I.'s are being targeted by a die hard fringe of Baahtists who cling to their resistance in the belief that Saddam will come some day to lead them back to glory. Were Saddam captured or proven to have died, that thin rationalization would be stretched to the snapping point. There they sit in their flimsy boat of lies and misrepresentations, cobbled together on the fly as they lusted for and rushed toward glorious war, with the water rising above their ankles. They are casting about for an oar, and the entire Saddam issue attracts and repels them at once.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:18 pm
the current status, both in Parliment and Washington, seems to be "did they lie on purpose?" rather than "did they lie?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:23 pm
they lied on purpose..............liars everyone
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
The evidence seems to point to a policy initiated to intentionally involve the US in a war with Iraq that was long in the planning stage and evidence was either twisted or manufactured to bring the public along with that policy. lying is the least of it, this is an illegitimate government out of control.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 12:59 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I would not be surprised if he were alive or if he were dead. I don't expect his being dead to pacify the Iraqis who do not want us there; so I don't know that it even matters.

Despite my opinion that the administration is stupid as well as purposively liars, EB pretty much sums up my take on the situation ...
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 02:00 pm
Saddam is probably a student at Harvard Law School!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:30 pm
NH: I believe you are either giving SH too much credit or HLS too little. Now, one of those 'law schools' you might see advertised on tv or on matchbooks; now, there I can see a perfect fit Rolling Eyes :wink: !
0 Replies