The cost of an enforcement first immigration policy

ebrown p

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:13 pm
Advocate wrote:
A very harsh immigration policy might be the most compassionate one. The harsh policy would discourage millions from coming here, exempting them from roundups, deportation, etc.

People make the same argument about harsh abortion laws, and harsh drug laws.

There is no evidence that this line of argument has any merit.

It seems to me that harsh policies, in addition to being cruel are quite often counter productive. The millions of people in jail have done little to stop drug problems, whereas compassionate drug policies that focus on treatment have been effective.

Likewise, harsh abortion laws meant young women died. Providing safe and free birth control and support and protection for woman wanting an abortion (which used to be illegal) has been shown to decrease the number of abortions.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 12:36 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Advocate wrote:
A very harsh immigration policy might be the most compassionate one. The harsh policy would discourage millions from coming here, exempting them from roundups, deportation, etc.

It seems to me that harsh policies, in addition to being cruel are quite often counter productive. The millions of people in jail have done little to stop drug problems, whereas compassionate drug policies that focus on treatment have been effective.

Likewise, harsh abortion laws meant young women died. Providing safe and free birth control and support and protection for woman wanting an abortion (which used to be illegal) has been shown to decrease the number of abortions.

So what exactly are you suggesting for a enforcable legal immigration program GOING FORWARD?

I suppose in your world, we would send the illegals to "rehab"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 01:10 pm
au has the right idea; immigration reform laws is secondary to securing our borders first.

Our government has failed on both reform and securing of the borders; even when laws have been on the books for decades.

Laws are useless if they're not going to enforce them.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2007 02:23 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Decrease the # of abortions? Are you out of your mind? Since abortion was made legal they say over 40 million abortions have been done. Does that seem like a decrease in abortions to you? That is over 1 million abortions per year and you say they have decreased.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 03:14 pm
This is a video from New Bedford.

There is a heartbreaking scene of a baby who was being breastfed... unwilling to take a bottle. And, there is eyewitness testimony of the callous treatment of the ICE agents toward people....

Well... watch for yourself... This is inexcusable.

Video
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
Your video was a flop, ebrown, and more propaganda. How do we know the eyewitness testimony is 100% accurate? Yes, the children suffer, for a while, but I doubt seriously the children will be separated from parents how long in actuality? And they are being cared for free here, and how do you give the parents a free pass, as if they do no wrong? THEY are the irresponsible ones in this matter for coming here illegally, and how in the world do they get clear up into the northeast by accident, ebrown?

You are at least correct on one point, it is inexcuseable, for people like yourself to keep perpetuating this problem.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 05:30 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

There is a heartbreaking scene of a baby who was being breastfed... unwilling to take a bottle. And, there is eyewitness testimony of the callous treatment of the ICE agents toward people....

Video

I disagree with Okie's hardline stance, but I do have a question:

You don't believe that the parents bear any responsibility for their child's suffering? They knew they were breaking the law by sneaking into America. They knew the consequences of getting caught.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You don't believe that the parents bear any responsibility for their child's suffering? They knew they were breaking the law by sneaking into America. They knew the consequences of getting caught.

Cycloptichorn

word...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 07:25 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

Video

Cycloptichorn

If you were a child faced with a life of poverty or the chance for a better life (with the risk of being mistreated), what would you want your parents to choose?

Immigrants often sacrifice a huge amount to give their children a better future. Often their children are the reason they are here. How do you choose between a life of poverty for your children... or a chance for a better life with the risk of harsh treatment?

The idea the harsh treatment of immigrants is a good solution to the problem... or even that it will reduce the problem is wrong.

This is the same reasoning behind the war on drugs; that putting users in jail will make the consequences so high that people will stop using drugs.

Many of us believe that it is valid to consider the effect that the main tool in the war on drugs, putting people in prison, has on families and communities. In discussing solutions to illegal drugs, or illegal immigration... it seems appropriate in a civilized society to search for compassionate responses.

Responses that rely on punishment are not just cruel, they are ineffective.

Harsh treatment of illegal immigrants and their families as a solution to the problem is immoral-- especially when the employers (who apparently were pretty evil people) are walking free. Their kids aren't being hurt for their crimes, nor should they.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 09:37 pm
Quote:

If you were a child faced with a life of poverty or the chance for a better life (with the risk of being mistreated), what would you want your parents to choose?

You didn't answer my question:

If you are willing to answer, I'm willing to go on with the discussion. But I'll say this in advance: taking a gamble to better your or your kids' life does not absolve you of responsibility for what happens when that gamble goes wrong.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 10:12 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

ebrown, the reason people do not run red lights is the fact they might receive harsh treatment, if caught, like a big fine. No law without a penalty, in your words "harsh treatment," would be effective. A traffic ticket for speeding does no good if there is no fine, or points on people's licenses. If people could rob the corner convenience store, without any punishment, or "harsh treatment," it would happen far more than it does.

This is so basic to the concept of the rule of law, ebrown, one really has to wonder how people cannot grasp the fact that enforcing laws are necessary or we might as well forget them.

Nobody would advocate mistreating children, but I think what we are talking about here is catching adults that have broken laws. Millions of illegal immigrants have gotten so used to coming here, with hardly any threat at all, in other words, very little punishment or harsh treatment at all. It is partially our fault for not enforcing the law more vigorously all along, thus when it is enforced, there is an outcry of unfairness. It is a bit like a cop sitting and watching a hundred cars go by doing 20 miles over the speed limit, then all of a sudden arresting a guy doing 20 miles over the limit. Naturally, that one guy will protest that he is unfairly singled out, but that does not change the fact that he was breaking the law. I think it is rather a case of assuming upon our lax enforcement, but to blame us when occasionally we do enforce the law, is just not accurate at all.

That is the reason we need to start enforcing the law, vigorously and thoroughly across the board, and a good start would be to clamp down on employers. Then the mothers will not be coming here with children because they will know there are no jobs. They will rather apply legally and hope to immigrate legally by meeting all the standards of citizenship.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:37 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Immigrants often sacrifice a huge amount to give their children a better future. Often their children are the reason they are here. How do you choose between a life of poverty for your children... or a chance for a better life with the risk of harsh treatment?

The idea the harsh treatment of immigrants is a good solution to the problem... or even that it will reduce the problem is wrong.

This is the same reasoning behind the war on drugs; that putting users in jail will make the consequences so high that people will stop using drugs.

Many of us believe that it is valid to consider the effect that the main tool in the war on drugs, putting people in prison, has on families and communities. In discussing solutions to illegal drugs, or illegal immigration... it seems appropriate in a civilized society to search for compassionate responses.

Harsh treatment of illegal immigrants and their families as a solution to the problem is immoral-- especially when the employers (who apparently were pretty evil people) are walking free. Their kids aren't being hurt for their crimes, nor should they.

You didn't answer my question:

If you are willing to answer, I'm willing to go on with the discussion. But I'll say this in advance: taking a gamble to better your or your kids' life does not absolve you of responsibility for what happens when that gamble goes wrong.

Cycloptichorn

Cyclo... you are setting up a trick question. You are using the term 'responsible' as a catch all and you will change what it means as a rhetorical trap. So I think it is fair to insist that we define exactly what the responsibility is for

First, I added back the context of my full post because I would like readers to consider it as a whole... not just one sentence.

Now, let me make my position very clear, without falling in to your verbal trap.

The form of law enforcement action is wrong for two reasons.
1- It hurts families, and communities and kids in a way that far exceeds the crime.
2- It is ineffective. All they achieve is to sate a vindictive need for punishment. They don't stop illegal immigration... and they actually hurt US workers by making the immigrant community more vulnerable and easy to exploit.

These raids are cruel and ineffective and they should stop. The ICE is responsible for planning these raids and they have the sole ability to stop them.

Here is how I answer several parts of responsibility.

-Are the parents responsible for breaking the law... absolutely.

-Are the parents responsible for a flawed policy toward immigration that relies on punishment? No.

-Are they responsible for incompetent and cruel conduct by the ICE agents. Absolutely not.

Are you really going to argue that police, when they are responding to crime, don't have responsibility for the excessiveness of their action, or the impact on a community? This would give police the ability to do pretty much anything without considering the impact on anyone.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
Brown
You keep referring to these people as immigrants. They are not . They are illegal aliens who have no right to be in the US. In respect to our immigration policies They are not at fault enforcement is.
Since it is apparently almost impossible to stop the flow of these people at the border their life in the US must be made untenable. By denying job, housing and services to them.

OK now. Start your tears flowing.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:56 am
Quote:
Are you really going to argue that police, when they are responding to crime, don't have responsibility for the excessiveness of their action, or the impact on a community?

No, not at all. I just wanted to hear an admission from you that the parents do bear partial responsibility for their decision; their child is without a parent not only because ICE - who I strongly despise, btw - rounded the parent up, but because the parent took a risk and is paying the price for losing.

Quote:

-Are the parents responsible for a flawed policy toward immigration that relies on punishment? No.

They aren't responsible for the policy, but they are bound by it just the same. I think Au has a good point; you keep forgetting to refer to Illegal immigrants as Illegal immigrants, and instead refer to them as Immigrants. Please be clear, if only so as to avoid confusion.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:02 am
Cycloptichorn
Brown refers to them as immigrants because as far as he is concerned the law is illegal and they are not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:04 am
au1929 wrote:
Cycloptichorn
Brown refers to them as immigrants because as far as he is concerned the law is illegal and they are not.

I know. I feel it is better to engage him/people in conversation to find out why they feel the way they do about something that I feel completely different about. It may lead to greater understanding on my part.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:18 am
My use of the term "immigrant" is absolutely correct.

An immigrant (and check your dictionary on this) is a person who crosses a political boundary with the intention of staying permanently. I just checked in could not find a standard dictionary that mentioned anything about the laws of any country.

The word "illegal" is an adjective which modifies a noun. This modifier is a bit inflamatory since often it seems that the person becomes "illegal". There is no question that the act of immigration is illegal. But this is the only case where breaking a law makes a person illegal.

I won't question if "immigration" as an act is illegal. I don't think a person can become illegal even if they break a crime. Talking about "illegal immigration" is a bit different than talking about an "illegal immigrant"... but you have the right to use whatever term you like.

Of course your suggestion that failing to use an adjective is an error is absolutely ridiculous.

There are fat immigrants, Asian immigrants, long-time immigrants and illegal immigrants-- and long-time, fat, Asian, legal, tall, hungry immigrants. All of them meet the definition of immigrant (having crossed a political boundary with an intent to mover permanently). Refering to any of them as "immigrants" is a standard use of English.

I get the point. Your view of these illegal people is completely ruled by the fact that they illegally broke a law-- to the point that you can't even refer to the illegal without putting an illegal adjective on any illegal word that refers to illegals.

After reading Au's comment and your comment... the only place that could have sparked this complaint was my comment about the Immigrant community. The Immigrant community in New Bedford includes US citizens, legal immigrants and illegal immigrants... and all of us are furious about what happened. Saying that only illegal immigrants are hurt by or angry about or determined to oppose, these raids would be wrong.

But the my point is that they are worthy of compassion because they are human beings.

If you want to refer to them as illegal human beings, then that is your right- just don't force your use of language onto others.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:23 am
Brown
Why not call them what the are. Illegal Aliens
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Because that isn't all that they are.

They are hard workers. They are caring mothers. They are sisters and daughters. They are part of a community.

And they are human beings.

Your need to hang a label on a human being... and deny all other parts of their lives including their contributions to their communites and families is frustrating.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:33 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Because that isn't all that they are.

They are hard workers. They are caring mothers. They are sisters and daughters. They are part of a community.

And they are human beings.

Your need to hang a label on a human being... and deny all other parts of their lives including their contributions to their communites and families is frustrating.

None of those elements have any bearing on the fact that they are in the US illegally. There are people all over the world with those attributes who would like to come to the US. Should we now become a nation withourt borders to accommodate them. Or is it just your friends and relatives that concern you?
0 Replies