Bush vs. Clinton: Which administration is/was more corrupt?

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:47 pm
I actually have a fairly good idea what the answer is already, I just wanted to see what you people thought.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 39
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 01:54 pm
I voted for Clinton's but those corrupt bastards must have manipulated my vote and changed it to that lovable Cheney.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:05 pm
guess who else voted?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:04 pm
Three votes for the current administration. And I didn't vote. Alright, which one of you corrupt sons of bitches voted twice?!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:51 pm
Once for Cheney and a second time for Bush -- that's a short list of those thugs.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 03:53 pm
Just so you don't toss and turn tonight wondering from where another vote emerged, I tossed one in. Unfortunately, I don't have any reasons why - I don't have a strong base of knowledge, so I can't debate points or support my feeling. Sometimes, one just knows.

Truth be told, I believe they're all into it - it's the nature of the beast. Some are just worse than others.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:05 pm
Apart from the obvious Lewinsky scandal, what did Clinton do that could be considered dishonest?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:47 pm
Didn't he give away military secrets to the chinese? I seem to recall Rush Limbaugh making a big to-do about that for a while. And I remember something called "Travelgate" as well. Or was that Hillary? Does she count as a part of his administration?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
I'm sure that Clinton has a few skeletons in the closet, but republican shills always fall back on the Lewinsky affair.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:53 pm
bermbits wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't have any reasons why - I don't have a strong base of knowledge, so I can't debate points or support my feeling. Sometimes, one just knows.

Other times, there is evidence.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:53 pm
kickycan wrote:
And I remember something called "Travelgate" as well.

it's weird, everything after nixon, is a "gate"

Watergate, as a term, had nothing to do with the crime, it was simply a location, had it been the hyatt regency, would the above mentioned be called "Travelregency"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:56 pm
I just voted. I supposed it could be called 'piling on'. I think it's hard, and hope it will be forever hard, to top the corruption of the present administration re Iraq.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:00 pm
Memories - when my husband and I visited Washington, DC, back in 1987, we stayed a cheapo but convenient hotel, the Holiday Inn. It was across the street from the Watergate, which we walked around a bit. Must have been weird for folks to live there and have it be such a center of bruhaha.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:02 pm
djjd62 wrote:
kickycan wrote:
And I remember something called "Travelgate" as well.

it's weird, everything after nixon, is a "gate"

Watergate, as a term, had nothing to do with the crime, it was simply a location, had it been the hyatt regency, would the above mentioned be called "Travelregency"

It's amusing to this a non-American how the English language is evolving in America.

Plamegate. Monicagate. Libbygate.

How come your press can't just call a spade a spade?

In Australia, a gate is something you open before walking/driving through.

Then close it after you enter.

I'm guessing it's all about soundbites, and keeping things simple for the plebs to understand.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:15 pm
Well, if one was absorbing it all here in the US at the time, Watergate was a big word, and I don't entirely blame news company functionaries for picking up on Gate as a headline sound.... and, I am guessing, at least at first,
it was an indicator of a border not to cross, as well as the later more understood concept, here-be-the-morass.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:27 pm
Watergate made enough noise in our press here in OZ for this bloke to take notice,(and I was a surf rat schoolkid skater at the time) and I never knew that it was an hotel of sorts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:44 pm
I think when we saw it, it was just an apartment complex, but I'm not sure (says she, of low curiosity).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:04 pm
Builder wrote:
I'm guessing it's all about soundbites, and keeping things simple for the plebs to understand.

The problem might be that the people making up the terms are the plebs.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:16 pm
kickycan wrote:
Builder wrote:

The problem might be that the people making up the terms are the plebs.

Any idea how the plebs can infiltrate the media so successfully?

I'd like to try it sometime. :wink:
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 12:14 am
Believe it or not, I remember reading an article long, long ago where it turned out the Japanese started the --gate thing in their newspapers before the Americans.

Almost immediately after Watergate, the Japanese started labelling every single assertion of alleged wrongdoing a "gate" affair. The American press picked up on that later, after the article was published.

It appears the Japanese started the "gate" suffix for any political scandal.
0 Replies