fine tooth comb excessive flaking

tali

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:29 pm
my 11 yr old son when he has his hair combed with a fine tooth comb his skin flakes excessively and alarmingly -it doesn't happen with a wide tooth comb- why is this " fine tooth comb excessive flaking" occuring?
he has had this problem for several years
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 4
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:36 pm
Hi tali,

It could just be that the fine-tooth comb grabs dry scalp particles better than a wider one. Could be sharper, too.

At any rate, it seems like your son has a dry scalp and the particles are more or less disturbed according to how he combs his hair.

If it's "excessively and alarmingly," though, you may want to talk to his pediatrician just to make sure everything's OK. The pediatrician might prescribe something or give you a recommendation for something over-the-counter, too.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:08 pm
Maybe it's eczema or psoriasis, if it's that bad.
0 Replies

tali

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:23 am
thanks both i 'll check up on advice
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 12:06 pm
If it's not medical, you can give his scalp a warm olive oil treatment. Just massage a couple of tablespoons of olive oil through his scalp and cover using an old shower cap (yeah he'll love that), wait for about 30 minutes and then wash out with a gentle shampoo and conditioner (look in health food stores). Avoid dandruff shampoos and harsh shampoos like Pert, many people have an allergic reaction from them and break out in a rash. If his hair tends to be thin you can use less oil. I also agree about change combs, maybe a soft bristle brush would be better.
0 Replies