Defensive gun use you won't hear about.

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
Quote:
Pennsylvania: Robbers Shot by Diner Owner: "Philadelphia police have identified the two robbery suspects shot Thursday morning by the owner of a diner in West Oak Lane. Investigators say 20-year-old Cornell Toombs was killed and 24-year-old Gary Williams was critically wounded. He remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition. Both the suspects are from North Philadelphia. According to investigators, two armed men walked into the Sunrise Breakfast Shop, on Washington Lane near Forest, about 7am Thursday and announced a robbery. But, police say, the shop owner pulled his own gun and opened fire. Toombs was pronounced dead at the scene -- and Williams was shot in the face and wounded. Police were questioning the diner owner about the incident."

Quote:
Tennessee gunowners stop fruitcake: "Police in Memphis say a gunman firing a pistol beside a busy city street was subdued by two passers-by who were also armed. No one was hurt during the incident that apparently began with a minor traffic accident, but one passing car was believed hit by a bullet. Brothers William Webber and Paul Webber told police they stopped their car and pulled their own pistols when they saw a man firing a handgun yesterday. The brothers said they ordered the man to drop his weapon and then held him at gunpoint until police arrived a few minutes later. Police say the Webbers did not fire their pistols. Police arrested Dementrius Roberson and charged him with reckless endangerment. Police say the Webber brothers and Roberson have licenses to carry firearms".

Quote:
Mississippi: Passer-by with gun saves woman: "As customers watched in horror Sunday afternoon, a man stabbed a woman and attempted to set her on fire in the parking lot of a Jackson store, witnesses said. The attack was stopped by a passer-by, who held the man at gunpoint until police arrived, witnesses said. The suspect, Henry Watson, 42, was arrested and is expected to face aggravated assault charges, Jackson Police Department Cmdr. Lee Vance said. Watson's wife, Gracie Watson, 42, was transported to the University of Mississippi Medical center, where she was listed in good condition. "It wasn't five minutes from when she had left my line when I heard a scream outside," said Theresa Stuckey, a cashier at the Family Dollar at 516 Nakoma Drive in Jackson. "I looked out, and (the attacker) was on top of her stabbing her, and stabbing her and stabbing her. "She was screaming, 'Help, he's trying to kill me!' She was rolling on the ground, trying to get out of the way, but he kept stabbing her. He stabbed her about 20 times in the neck, back and arms." As the attack continued, people were yelling at the man to stop and honking their horns, Stuckey said. She said she called 911. "He was just standing over her hacking away," said Dolly Baker, who had just left the Save-A-Lot store next door when she saw the attack. Baker said she watched the man pour gasoline on the victim then try to strike a match. "He was literally trying to kill that lady in broad daylight," she said. Baker said a passer-by stopped the attack. "He told the man, 'Stop, or I'm going to shoot. And if you run, I'm going to kill you,' " Baker said. The man held Watson at bay until police arrived at the scene".

Quote:
Tennessee man stabbed during home invasion, fires two shots at intruders: "A Kingsport man fired two shots at men who invaded his home early today, but he was stabbed twice during the incident. The incident happened around 5:05 a.m. at 2333 1/2 Ashwood Street, according to a police detective. KPD Det. Greg Lane said Frank Johnson, 25, reported he heard noise outside his home and someone knocking on his door. "He went to the door with a pistol in his hand. As soon as he opened the door, an unknown black male rushed in and attacked him," Lane said. A second unidentified black male entered the residence and stabbed Johnson in the left side and arm, Lane said. Johnson fired his gun and the two men ran out of the house. He went to the door and fired another shot and the men continued to run away, Lane said. Police don't know what the suspects motive might have been, but at this point the case is being investigated as an aggravated assault. Lane said Johnson was being treated at Holston Valley Medical Center for his wounds, which were non life threatening."

I wonder how many of the yearly gun deaths are those of people trying to harm others. These are just a few stories I have found, and I'm willing to post more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,615 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:33 pm
Re: Defensive gun use you won't hear about.
Baldimo wrote:
These are just a few stories I have found, and I'm willing to post more.

I can hardly wait...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:38 pm
Sturgis, would you come visit my house?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:42 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Sturgis, would you come visit my house?

Should I wear body armor?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:44 pm
Cjhsa, I had several intruders break into my home several years ago. I own a few shotguns, but, unlike you, I don't feel it necessary to grab a gun at the drop of a hat.

I quietly stole from my bed and grabbed my knife from my dresser as I exited my bedroom.

I killed the intruders by slicing their throats before they knew I was upon them. I turned the lights on and discovered two dead Republican neighbors.

I fed the remains to my pigs and no one was ever the wiser.

And I never had to fire a single shot.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:00 pm
Baldimo wrote:

Plan on posting a million?

On another thread, now deleted, you made the claim that a million people use their firearms in self defense yearly.

This represents an inflationary trend, as a few years the gun boosters were claiming the number was 250,000.

Yet, when someone called up the state police in various states, many of which had urban populations, and asked for statistics of incidents where people had to use their legal guns to protect themselves, the number came nowhere NEAR a 250,000 rate.

After all, if you have to use your gun to defend yourself, someone is committing a crime. Besides, you might need some explanation as to what the two corpses are doing in your house, or how some guy ended up with a bullet in his leg and it came from your gun. So it would make sense to call the police, make a report, and clear your name.

Yet, when contacted, the police do not seem to have any reports of such self defense incidents in the numbers claimed-one million or even a quarter million. The incidents seem to be in the dozens, not even the hundreds.

The gun lobby and gun supporters keep making claims about one million incidents where people had to defend themselves with a gun. And nobody has been able to verify the numbers, or even come close.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:05 pm
Female border agents and minutewomen are encouraged to carry opening, not concealed, for precisely this reason. It not only prevents a great deal of violence, it saves lives - and most evens go unrecorded, far and away more than those that do.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Female border agents and minutewomen are encouraged to carry opening, not concealed, for precisely this reason.
Opening? As in firing nonstop? Yipes!

cjhsa wrote:
It not only prevents a great deal of violence, it saves lives - and most evens go unrecorded, far and away more than those that do.
How about the odds? Are they also less recorded (or at least less reported)?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Female border agents and minutewomen are encouraged to carry opening, not concealed, for precisely this reason. It not only prevents a great deal of violence, it saves lives - and most evens go unrecorded, far and away more than those that do.

if all females walked around carrying their openings in plain site violence would be down across the board.... traffic accidents however, would be through the roof...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:27 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Plan on posting a million?

On another thread, now deleted, you made the claim that a million people use their firearms in self defense yearly.

This represents an inflationary trend, as a few years the gun boosters were claiming the number was 250,000.

Yet, when someone called up the state police in various states, many of which had urban populations, and asked for statistics of incidents where people had to use their legal guns to protect themselves, the number came nowhere NEAR a 250,000 rate.

After all, if you have to use your gun to defend yourself, someone is committing a crime. Besides, you might need some explanation as to what the two corpses are doing in your house, or how some guy ended up with a bullet in his leg and it came from your gun. So it would make sense to call the police, make a report, and clear your name.

Yet, when contacted, the police do not seem to have any reports of such self defense incidents in the numbers claimed-one million or even a quarter million. The incidents seem to be in the dozens, not even the hundreds.

The gun lobby and gun supporters keep making claims about one million incidents where people had to defend themselves with a gun. And nobody has been able to verify the numbers, or even come close.

Check this book by John Lott.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bias_Against_Guns

Its a little dry seeing as how he is statics guy but it holds loads of information that is interesting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:52 pm
Openly... opening... little Fraudian typo there... Wink
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:58 pm
Quote:
Pennsylvania: Oldster shoots burglar: "An 82-year-old man shot a burglar who broke into his Stowe home and awoke him early this morning, police said. The unnamed homeowner told police he was awoken about 4:30 a.m. in his house on the 500 block of Woodward Avenue. He told the burglar not to run while he called police, according to Allegheny County homicide detectives. He then fired one shot when the intruder made a threatening move, police said. The burglar was hospitalized in stable condition this morning and will likely be charged. The homeowner probably will not face any charges, police said.

Quote:
Florida: Brothers Shoot, Beat Home Invaders: "An intended target of an early morning home invasion in Palm Bay thwarted the robber's plans when he shot one of the men, according to police. A second potential home invader escaped. Two men identifying themselves as Palm Bay police tried to get into the Edgewood Drive home around 2:37 a.m. today by jiggling the front door, police spokeswoman Yvonne Martinez told Local 6 News partner Florida Today. Two brothers and a 17-year-old woman were in the house. One of the brothers, Abraham Suarez, ran out of the back of the house to check on his car and confronted one of the would-be intruders. The man hit Suarez in the face with a flashlight, the report said. Suarez screamed for his brother to help. Adam Suarez showed up and shot the man in the leg. Anthony Giuffre, 19, of Sebastian, was taken to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne where he is in police custody. He faces charges involving the home invasion, and impersonating a police officer. The victims are not facing criminal charges, police said."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 05:15 pm
I'm all for gun rights, but posting this stuff here is like posting why gays & blacks should be treated equally to whites on a KKK forum. You're outnumbered by the peace loving hippies 99-1. "Guns are bad, mmmmkay."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:23 pm
I'm a gun owning, gay, black guy who according to several A2K'ers must be a member of the KKK.

Man have I got the bases covered.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:10 pm
The problem is not with self defense it is with unnecessary use. The gung-ho NRA action man out to prove himself who pulls his gun and fires in a rush of adrenaline only to find his snap assesment was in fact inccorect.

Lax licencing laws also contribute to idiots and unstable persons holding fire arms legally as per your first post.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:24 pm
Oddly dp, we don't seem to have any problem with licensed folks whatsoever. Not sure where you get your news.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 08:46 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Oddly dp, we don't seem to have any problem with licensed folks whatsoever. Not sure where you get your news.

Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
Tennessee gunowners stop fruitcake: "Police in Memphis say a gunman firing a pistol beside a busy city street was subdued by two passers-by who were also armed. No one was hurt during the incident that apparently began with a minor traffic accident, but one passing car was believed hit by a bullet. Brothers William Webber and Paul Webber told police they stopped their car and pulled their own pistols when they saw a man firing a handgun yesterday. The brothers said they ordered the man to drop his weapon and then held him at gunpoint until police arrived a few minutes later. Police say the Webbers did not fire their pistols. Police arrested Dementrius Roberson and charged him with reckless endangerment. Police say the Webber brothers and Roberson have licenses to carry firearms".

So this licenced fruitcake doesnt count?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 02:04 am
dadpad wrote:

Clearly, the fruitcake was protecting himself against the two brothers who were intervening to protect everyone from the fruitcake. So there are two acts of self-defense in this one episode, just as there are whenever two (or more) people draw guns on each other. How else could the NRA say that there were a million acts of self-defense with handguns per year?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:23 am
Everytime some redneck comes out of his trailer with his shotgun because he heard a rabbit go by in the grass counts as one.

That was a wordy sentence.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:32 am
dadpad wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Baldimo wrote:

Quote:

Unlike OZ we don't freak out over isolated incidents. Would you rather the guy come out and wash your windshield? I'll also bet the report is wrong - you'll find out that Mr. Robinson probably was illegally licensed, or not at all. Remember, the press is really conservative, educated, experienced, and does lots of fact checking before publishing gun related articles.
0 Replies