Boys are so funny when they try to think...

roger

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:12 am
Sure it's okay for your daughter to think girls are smarter. There just might be a bias in real life that she needs to prepare for. Television bias might not reflect any existing bias in public schools.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:15 am
sozobe wrote:
I agree, fishin', in that I don't think it's planned, mostly just process of elimination.

If all those other things are unacceptable, though, should this be acceptable?

Is it OK that my daughter thinks girls are smarter than boys? (Even if she recognized a trap when she saw it? Laughing)

Personally, I don't care about it. If guys make a stink about it as some feminists did with the portrayal of women a few decades back no one would take it seriously anyway. We'd all get called "pansies" and the standard questions about masculinity would follow.

I'm fairly confident that there are little boys that still think they are smarter than little girls too so methinks that's a wash. If she's smart enough to recognize the trap then she's doing pretty darn well for her age. Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:34 am
It's ok if girls think they're smarter than boys. Sooner or later they'll grow up and find out they're worth less in the job market.

Just kidding. Making babies is cool.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:10 pm
To be honest I haven't noticed in the kid's shows - but now I will be in the look out for it.

However, I think that kids can understand the difference between TV and real life. My daughter recognizes the smart kids in class (boys or girls). And no comment she made to me when I said jokingly "Girls rule, Boys Drool." She said no "Kids Rule, Parents drool."

Now what does that say about parents!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:20 pm
Linkat wrote:
To be honest I haven't noticed in the kid's shows - but now I will be in the look out for it.

However, I think that kids can understand the difference between TV and real life. My daughter recognizes the smart kids in class (boys or girls). And no comment she made to me when I said jokingly "Girls rule, Boys Drool." She said no "Kids Rule, Parents drool."

It says your daughter doesn't hang around with teenaged boys....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:29 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Linkat wrote:

It says your daughter doesn't hang around with teenaged boys....

Good seeing she's eight. Although she does think boys are silly.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:03 pm
Girls are social climbers, boys are animals.

Now there's a sweeping generalisation, if ever I made one. Very Happy
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 02:33 pm
I have twin boys-8 and a girl-5

My boys are friggin' brilliant...academically. They are way ahead in math and verbal skills and sciences than the rest of their class.

The girl is brilliant as well. She's only in Kindergarten, but she has a wisdom and spiritual depth far beyond her years.

The boys do stupid stuff and get their butts in trouble all the time.

The girl is very well-behaved.

My point is: They are all very smart. Just different in what they are smart with.

You cannot generalize one gender being "smarter" than another. You have to look at the individual in all cases.

We should have learned this by now as a society, but we still have racism, sexism, and classism. And many other isms that prove that none of us are all that smart.

TV caters to the lowest common denominator.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 03:52 pm
Those clothes are going to turn the sozlet into a lesbian. This fact is not well-known, but it turns out the "Girls rule boys drool" is one of Sappho's earliest works.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 03:54 pm
patiodog wrote:
Those clothes are going to turn the sozlet into a lesbian. This fact is not well-known, but it turns out the "Girls rule boys drool" is one of Sappho's earliest works.

Yeah...but that's Sappho Zabrowski from Brooklyn, not THE Sappho.

But I can see how easily you'd get confoozled, bein' a dog and all.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 03:59 pm
You're probably right. If I was a bitch I'd know the difference, but I'm just a lowly dog.

Who cares which Sappho it was, anyway? Neither one is going to show me her tits.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 04:26 pm
patiodog wrote:
You're probably right. If I was a bitch I'd know the difference, but I'm just a lowly dog.

Who cares which Sappho it was, anyway? Neither one is going to show me her tits.

I thought dogs were all just into bums?

Oh...some of you are into legs, too, aren't you?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:11 pm
We like all the tasty bits, right down to the marrow.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 08:25 pm
someone will have to prove it to me that it is not happening. I mean, girls taking over, atleast academically. Soz, you and I discussed it on the other thread and you agreed that it is an issue.

OTher than A2k , whoever I mentions it to agrees.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 19 Sep, 2007 10:20 pm
Girls had taken over school when I was a kid, for the most part. They were a lot more interested in being there than the boys were. We always wanted to be somewhere else.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 05:17 am
DrMom wrote:
someone will have to prove it to me that it is not happening. I mean, girls taking over, atleast academically. Soz, you and I discussed it on the other thread and you agreed that it is an issue.

OTher than A2k , whoever I mentions it to agrees.

What are you reacting to here, DrMom? I think most people on this thread have agreed that the swinging pendulum currently tends to benefit girls more than boys. (That was my point in opening it btw -- I found the "boys are funny when they try to think" slogan annoying, and was imagining the furore if it were "girls are funny when they try to think...")
0 Replies

jake123

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:09 am
Quote:
(That was my point in opening it btw -- I found the "boys are funny when they try to think" slogan annoying, and was imagining the furore if it were "girls are funny when they try to think...")

What about the "dumb blond" jokes aimed at women? That has been around for years. This type of thing has been going on for a long time. The important thing is to teach all our children to find their self-respect and self-confidence within and not try and feel good about themselves by putting others down.

BTW...both my boys are being evaluated for the gifted and talented program at school.

I have no doubt that my daughter, who happens to be blond, will be as well when she gets to third grade. That is when they start evaluating for the GAT program.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 07:18 pm
Quote:
What are you reacting to here, DrMom?

I am not reacting at all. I am a concerned parent of a 8 yr old boy. I would be annoyed at such generalizations too. But I am troubled by some of the research suggesting that it is actually happening.

I guess what I was responding to was some of the posterss who are saying, Well, that is TV and not life. I think what media portrays is a reflection of what is happening.
0 Replies