INTOLERANCE

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
England racist? Surely you jest.... Wink
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Olga, it's not a choice between one or the other.

I hope you don't expect that PC will cure bigotry.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:35 am
where would the english be without their bloody pakis? Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:36 am
Thanks VL - that is one of my biggest problems - me not being a "paki"
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:42 am
you look like the maharajah, my dear

why do you object to being mistaken for a paki?

bigots I met in England were almost always the cowardly "make sure no one's listening" type
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
PC forces bigotry behind the scenes, IMO, that is all. It does not solve the problem.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
Violet Lake wrote:
Olga, it's not a choice between one or the other.

I hope you don't expect that PC will cure bigotry.

No, I don't, V.L. I just hate the bigotry that the anti-PC advocates feel free to express in the name of "openess" ... Most of all I hate the way that any expression of political idealism is denigrated as "PC" these days. It's a real put-down.
But a good, open debate, where both sides are prepared to hear each other out, is healthy.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:20 am
Olga wrote:
I just hate the bigotry that the anti-PC advocates feel free to express in the name of "openess"...

seems to me that you're just as guilty of prejudging, and politicizing the issue as "they" are

if you don't want people to use your idealism against you, then don't let it turn into something as rigid, intellectually impotent, and repulsive as PC
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:22 am
Violet Lake wrote:
Olga wrote:
I just hate the bigotry that the anti-PC advocates feel free to express in the name of "openess"...

seems to me that you're just as guilty of prejudging, and politicizing the issue as "they" are

if you don't want people to use your idealism against you, then don't let it turn into something as rigid, intellectually impotent, and repulsive as PC

Jesus, violet. all she's saying is that people shouldn't use being "anti-pc" as an excuse to be crude - what's the frikkin problem?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:23 am
Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
All relationships are a grey area folks, ANY form of politics is an excuse to put someone else down. Let's think a bit outside the box here...maybe we could all get along better. I hate that term "think outside the box", but find it appropriate if it is a sandbox, something I haven't played in since I was 3 years old. I happen to agree with snood....that was all the statement meant. Jeez, I thought that the difference between "PC" as a political concept and "respectful" as a life choice was already clearly stated earlier.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:31 am
I don't appreciate having this thread hijacked by Violet Lake. All i've ever seen from this member is an apparent desire to be contentious. Why don't you go play with someone else, VL, you've added nothing to the discussion here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:41 am
Thanks, snood .... Yes, that's what I was trying to say.
For example, it's very common in Oz these days for right wing commentators & politicians to put-down views differing from their own by labelling them as "PC" (at term of derision these days, it seems), "naive", or saying that someone is part of the "black arm-band brigade", etc ...
This has become a common method of countering liberal sentiment, rather than presenting a valid counter-argument.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:43 am
PC/anti-PC has become just another way of saying liberal/conservative... another filthy battleground

why on earth would liberals transform their ideals into coercion-by-language? the fact that conservatives strongly object is understandable

the behavior on both sides is regrettable

that's the frikkin problem

btw, I agree that people shouldn't use being "anti-pc" as an excuse to be crude, and... I have more "liberal" in one pubic hair than all of you have put together. Just as long as we're clear on that... Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:46 am
Confused
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:47 am
Setanta, you're just jealous Laughing

but if it makes you feel better, I'll leave. after all, it is YOUR thread.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:53 am
btw, Setanta, if you think I'm contentious here, you should see me in person

I "hijack" every conversation I take part in and usually take everyone for a breathtaking no holds barred joyride into the great unknown

most people like having me around
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:54 am
white of you. (oops, that wasn't pc, was it?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:56 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

Ya know, Snood, when i am confronted by a "true" PC maniac, i usually tell them something like:

"Ya know, yer pretty clever . . . fer a white boy."

They usually leave me alone after that.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 08:57 am
pink and freckled is more like it Wink
0 Replies