gift for girlfriends

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:15 pm
Hi, I heard people usually get something for their girlfriend for mothers day? Is this true? Looking forward to your feedback... Thanks!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 24
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:17 pm
Umm, okay, this is probably a silly question but... is your girlfriend the mommy of your kiddies-- or a mommy of anyone's kiddies for that matter? Somehow I get the impression you mean any girlfriend, mommy or no...?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:43 pm
Unless your girlfriend is a mother, she isn't involved in mothers day at all. Why on earth would she be?

That day is reserved to honor mothers, not girlfriends.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:32 am
Personally I was surprised to get flowers from my husband for mother's day last year (I was seven months pregnant).
I always thought, it was about giving gifts to your own mother...

Well, I suppose, that's a matter of how you look at it.

Nothing for non-mothers, though, I am quite sure about that!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 02:39 am
Chai wrote:

Idea there should be a Girlfriend's Day...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:43 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Chai wrote:

Idea there should be a Girlfriend's Day...

Isn't that just Valentines' Day, then?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 06:41 am
Giving a token of some sort to your girlfriend's mother would be a very romantic gesture.

Unless your girlfriend is a mother, honoring her as a mother would be silly. Would you buy her presents for Father's Day? Of course not, she's not a father.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:02 am
Re: gift for girlfriends
p1ay1da1y wrote:
Hi, I heard people usually get something for their girlfriend for mothers day? Is this true? Looking forward to your feedback... Thanks!!

I've never heard of it and never received one when I was single. I think I would have been very afraid if a boyfriend gave me a present for mother's day - like he wanted me to bear his baby.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:48 am
I wonder where he heard that people do this?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:51 am
Wouldn't be surprised if it were some combination of the expansion of Valentine's Day (gift exchanges amongst any combination of people has become de rigeur even though it's supposedly just about romantic love) and the expansion of Mother's Day (you're a mother? you get a gift, and not just from your own offspring. Still not used to that one).

I agree with Linkat though, if I were single and childless and got a Mother's Day present from my boyfriend I'd be weirded out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 09:58 am
Last mothers day a cashier, a young guy. wished me a happy mothers day as he gave me my change.

He seemed like a really nice person, but that caught me so off guard, I like lost focus for a second. Then I said, "I'm not a mother".

he looked confused for a sec, then then brightly said "But you HAVE one!"

I said, "No I don't, she died years ago" (even if she was alive, why would he be wishing ME a HMD?)

This whole concept was obviously a new world for him. I wasn't trying to razz him, I just thought it was really weird.

Then I saw a toddler, a screetched in alarm.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:39 am
Chai wrote:
Last mothers day a cashier, a young guy. wished me a happy mothers day as he gave me my change.

He seemed like a really nice person, but that caught me so off guard, I like lost focus for a second. Then I said, "I'm not a mother".

I said, "No I don't, she died years ago" (even if she was alive, why would he be wishing ME a HMD?)

This whole concept was obviously a new world for him. I wasn't trying to razz him, I just thought it was really weird.

I could see that - just wishing some one happy mother's day as they check out. Probably was management trying to encourage their cashiers to be friendly suggested they close with that with any potential moms.

You probably looked like a mom to him.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 10:44 am
I look more like a rhinosaraus than a mother.

no, this kid was flying solo, no instruction from mamagement.

I mean, like I said, he was really nice, maybe he was thinking about his mother or something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 05:23 pm
Happy Mother's Day. I want you for my brood mare.

Doesn't fly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 06:43 pm
When is Mothers Day?

When is Easter for that matter?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:02 pm
Chai wrote:

Did the store sell anything that might be purchased for one's mother on mother's day? Like, "Oh! I forgot it was Mother's Day! Luckily I'm at Home Depot and Mom just adores spud wrenches and gate hardware!"
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:23 pm
no, I was in one of those darling little specialty shops picking up a few extra butt plugs.

mm..I guess I could see how the mistake could be made.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 07:51 pm
Quote:
picking up a few extra butt plugs

What do you think I meant by "spud wrenches" and "gate hardware?"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:27 pm
There are Mothers and mothahs
0 Replies

patiodog