does everybody have it in them to kill?

noinipo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
No, they were top US marine officers, the 'bravest of the brave'. And this was just a few days ago.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 09:24 am
noinipo wrote:
Young recruits in boot camp are stripped of their 'softer' emotions and rebuilt as cold killers.

This is an absurd exaggeration. Unless of course by "cold killers" you mean "people that can all walk together in a straight line while wearing well shined shoes".
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:32 pm
"people that can all walk together in a straight line while wearing well shined shoes".
Is that what marines are famous for?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
noinipo wrote:
"people that can all walk together in a straight line while wearing well shined shoes".
Is that what marines are famous for?

Yes, they are. The Marines also make up what? 10% of the total U.S. Military? Do those other "recruits in boot camp" that are in the rest of the services also qualify as "cold killers"?

I have yet to meet anyone that was ever in any branch of any military service that had killed anyone without feeling. People are trained to kill as a part of military training but the numbers that actually like doing so are few and far between.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:07 pm
True, in fact, many of them return to work in Hollywood. If yuo watch old A-Team reruns, nobody ever dies.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:15 pm
sozobe wrote:
I agree. I do think circumstances have a lot to do with it.

For example, I think if the only way to do it is with a knife, I think people would hesitate in a way they wouldn't if they could kill by pushing a button, say.

Plus motivation. I have no desire to kill anyone and hope I would never have to, but I can't imagine that I wouldn't find it within me to kill if it would save my daughter's life.

The button thing reminds me of an experment I saw on one of those news shows. They had some one come in that thought they were doing a temporary job.

They were to read a series of questions to a person they could hear, but not see. If the person were to get the question wrong, they were to push a button which sent an electric shock to the person. If they kept getting questions wrong, they were to increase the volt and press again. The guy on the other side would start yelling and then as it got increasing higher, they would start begging them to stop. There was another person that knew what was going on that kept edging them on telling this was their job and that there were no long term effects.

You wouldn't believe most people kept doing it even though the person was screaming for them to stop - and women were more likely to keep going than refuse.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:17 pm
noinipo wrote:
Young recruits in boot camp are stripped of their 'softer' emotions and rebuilt as cold killers. Soldiers get medals for doing things that earn them jail time in real life.
I saw a TV special on 'The Marines', and several generals said on camera that there is nothing noble or human about war. It is a horrible business.

Load of crap - my husband and brother are both Marines and they never encourage illegal things. If this were the case, it is probably an isolated group. However, I do agree with the statement and the belief that many feel there is nothing noble or human about war.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 01:34 pm
There is much less nobility in terrorism which targets non-participants.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:29 pm
Linkat wrote:
sozobe wrote:
I agree. I do think circumstances have a lot to do with it.

For example, I think if the only way to do it is with a knife, I think people would hesitate in a way they wouldn't if they could kill by pushing a button, say.

Plus motivation. I have no desire to kill anyone and hope I would never have to, but I can't imagine that I wouldn't find it within me to kill if it would save my daughter's life.

The button thing reminds me of an experment I saw on one of those news shows. They had some one come in that thought they were doing a temporary job.

They were to read a series of questions to a person they could hear, but not see. If the person were to get the question wrong, they were to push a button which sent an electric shock to the person. If they kept getting questions wrong, they were to increase the volt and press again. The guy on the other side would start yelling and then as it got increasing higher, they would start begging them to stop. There was another person that knew what was going on that kept edging them on telling this was their job and that there were no long term effects.

You wouldn't believe most people kept doing it even though the person was screaming for them to stop - and women were more likely to keep going than refuse.

Incredible wasn't it? I'm not sure where you saw this experiment, I think I saw it in a 'Derren Brown' show on TV, he's some psychological illusionist. If I remember correctly, they were trying to show how powerful a perceived "authority" can be and what such an authority can push people into doing with the right encouragement.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:38 pm
Ashers wrote:

Incredible wasn't it? I'm not sure where you saw this experiment, I think I saw it in a 'Derren Brown' show on TV, he's some psychological illusionist. If I remember correctly, they were trying to show how powerful a perceived "authority" can be and what such an authority can push people into doing with the right encouragement.

I don't remember, but I thought it was 60 minutes - not sure. It was creepy in a way and some people seemed to enjoy it while others did it without any emotion and on the other extreme others did it while you could tell they did not want to.

A very select few refused. I do think all did push the button initially though.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:39 pm
What bothers me most about these atrocities: they create more terrorists. If they would happen in the States, Americans would take up arms and fight the invaders.
Killing civilians is not intelligent, it backfires.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12838343/
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:43 pm
Yeah I was a little horrified at the time, more so, if anything else, by the people who seemed very uncomfortable with the situation all of a sudden when they felt something wasn't right BUT kept going! I remember some seemed pretty passive to the entire experience, as you say I also remember some who outright refused but it was those people who kept going despite appearing to be quite upset by the whole ordeal. Looking around to be told to stop and when no such instruction came, the pain goes on. Very strange.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:57 pm
noinipo wrote:
What bothers me most about these atrocities: they create more terrorists. If they would happen in the States, Americans would take up arms and fight the invaders.
Killing civilians is not intelligent, it backfires.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12838343/

Bullshit. We should be taking out entire villages, mosques, whatever - any that offers sanctuary to a terrorist. Nowhere to hide creeps.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:45 pm
Ah, yes.

"Kill them all; God will recognize his own."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:33 pm
Nothing worse than a soldier without a mandate.

Little kid runs out of a mosque and tosses a grenade at a passing convoy, then runs back in to where his father is hiding.

What would you do as a soldier? I know what I'd do.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:24 pm
Why don't you volunteer to go? I hear there are job openings aplenty in the infantry.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 06:16 am
It never fails to amaze me to see warmongers who have never been in a war. The undisputed war hero and all around super American was never in a real war. John Wayne was busy making movies, no time to go and fight.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 07:12 am
snood wrote:
Why don't you volunteer to go? I hear there are job openings aplenty in the infantry.

To be honest I thought I might be going back in 1991. Now I am too old, though I could certainly serve in some context. I would gladly have done so to help prevent my children from having to, which is exactly what is going to happen if we sit back, do the lib-nut smokadope thing, and do nothing.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 08:32 am
cjhsa wrote:
snood wrote:

To be honest I thought I might be going back in 1991. Now I am too old, though I could certainly serve in some context. I would gladly have done so to help prevent my children from having to, which is exactly what is going to happen if we sit back, do the lib-nut smokadope thing, and do nothing.

The age for first-time recruits has been raised to 42. And if you're older than that, a hotshot gun guy like you could surely find work with a security contractor. That is, if you really want to help the cause about which you feel so strongly, and get to shoot at the bad guys.
0 Replies

cutekatie15

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2007 02:16 pm
everyone could kill it is instinct, you cant fight the feeling that you could but you can control it
0 Replies