does everybody have it in them to kill?

rockpie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:25 am
lately i've noticed myself becoming a little more angry as a person and a little more violent too, mainly in a playful way towards my girlfriend. but we were looking through a book on murder profiling and i seemed to fit the bill to a tee. my upbringing, lifestyle, personality, even the swirls on my fingerprints indicate that i should be an organised serial killer. however, i don't think i'd have it in me. do we all have the ability to kill if the circumstances are right? i'm curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,015 • Replies: 102
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 05:56 am
I suppose in certain circumstances, if the situation were right, we all could kill. I am a pretty peaceful person, but I know that I could kill in self defense, or to protect someone that I loved who was in mortal danger.

As for you, Rockpie, please don't take these "signs" of yours too seriously. Now matter what our background, our personality, etc., we can still choose our actions.

There is something called "sublimation", which is defined as "the ability to divert the energy associated with an unacceptable impulse or drive into a personally and socially acceptable activity."

For instance, you are feeling pissed off. You can go to a bar, pick a fight, and beat up a few people. Or, you can take that energy and go for a long, vigorous run, in order to dissipate the anger. The choice is yours.

If you are feeling generally more angry that usual, you need to reflect on why this is happening, and take steps to ensure that the anger does not get out of hand.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:12 am
I'm pretty sure that being able to kill another person isn't something that everyone would be able to do - no matter the circumstance.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:02 am
why do you think that snood? hypothetically speaking. if somebody held a gun to your childs head and you had a gun at theirs, would you not pull the trigger?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:50 am
I think so. We are, after all, animals who's most primative interest is to protect our own well-being.

If someone is going to kill me, I could kill them first. Any other circumstance, no. Would it screw me up regardless? Yeah.

It surprises me that snood would say that...you were/are in the military, correct? Or did I dream that up? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your perspective on why you think that not everyone could kill. Are soliders all able to kill because they were programmed to do it? Or is there something inherent in all of us that sparks when our survival is threatened?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:59 am
I think what snood meant ( correct me.. ? )
is that not everyone knows HOW, or are able to overpower someone to do so.

Given the means, ( gun in hand ) yes... I do believe that people will kill if need be.

Of course every human being has the 'ability' to kill.. it is a survival tactic.
It has been there long before we told people not to do it anymore.

It is a natural part of our makeup.

The question is why, how, when, where do people act on it.

We all 'know' you dont NEED to kill people.. we all KNOW we should not kill people, yet some do. And enjoy it..

that is where your 'why' question should be. Wink
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:36 am
rockpie wrote:
why do you think that snood? hypothetically speaking. if somebody held a gun to your childs head and you had a gun at theirs, would you not pull the trigger?

You ask if ALL people have it in them to kill.

Clearly there have been documented occurences where someone gave up their own life, or failed to save the life of someone else, in order not to kill, for various reasons.

Or, is your question really asking if "in general" people can get to the point where they would kill?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:41 am
Absolutely, it's called survival instinct. You may not even realize what you've done until later.

I agree with Bella though, it would mess you up.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:43 am
cjhsa wrote:
Absolutely, it's called survival instinct. You may not even realize what you've done until later.

Twice in two days?

Cjhsa, we must stop this. People will start to wonder..... Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
I have killed before and I suspect I shall kill again.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
Wonder?!

I'm absolutely mesmirized.

or is that martinized?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:52 am
you're a dangerous man gustavratzenhofer.

a very dangerous man.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:55 am
Danger is my middle name.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:56 am
Bella Dea wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Twice in two days?

Cjhsa, we must stop this. People will start to wonder..... Laughing

If you're up for it, join me and Montana in the A2K hot tub. Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:57 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Danger is my middle name.

Notice you can't see the business end of his pitchfork. I bet there's a hamster impaled on each tine.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 08:57 am
You're not planning on killing them, are you, cjsha?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:00 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
You're not planning on killing them, are you, cjsha?

No, but you might hear some low moans and occasional screams. Try not to let it bother you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
Screams of laughter?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:01 am
Moans of displeasure?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 09:23 am
Lighten up Gus. Or post nazi says "No a2k for you".
0 Replies