Is Obama Black Enought?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 11:37 am
Baldimo wrote:
I have 2 sons who are mixed. My wife is black and white. Would my sons qualify for black college education funding? They don't look black, so when is black black enough?[/quote]

I think it depends which side.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/startrek.jpg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 12:33 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
I have 2 sons who are mixed. My wife is black and white. Would my sons qualify for black college education funding? They don't look black, so when is black black enough?
[/b][/color]

I think it depends which side.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/startrek.jpg[/quote]

I'm trying to figure out why they didn't turn out like your pic. That would have been interesting now wouldn't it.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:12 pm
Quote:
Would my sons qualify for black college education funding? They don't look black, so when is black black enough?

Please explain what "black college education funding" is and what a student must do to get a check for it in the mail.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:21 pm
UNCF

United Negro College Fund

UNCF
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:35 pm
That just looks like a privately funded organization to me.

If you to the library, there are whole books of listings of organizations which give out scholarships to students who are in the interest group the organization represents.

I thought Baldimo was talking about some government thing, like the government gives you a check for being a black student, or something.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:37 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Quote:
Would my sons qualify for black college education funding? They don't look black, so when is black black enough?

Please explain what "black college education funding" is and what a student must do to get a check for it in the mail.

As Bella noted below your post that is one of many that are available to blacks.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:48 pm
And if your parent or parents belong to a certain union you can qualify for a scholarship, while a better student cannot because his or her parents don't belong to that union.

And if your parent or parents work for a certain company, you can qualify for a scholarship while a better student cannot-because their parents don't work for that company.

And as I stated before, there are whole book fulls of scholarships given out to students because they happen to be the children of something or other the organization is concerned with.

If a private organization exists which gets voluntary donations to give scholarships to a certain group-a group which was deliberately denied equal educational opportunities for so long- what is wrong with that?

The way you phrased it, you made it seem like these students are getting money from the government that students of other races are not. And that does not appear to be happening.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:50 pm
They don't have a Poor White Kid's Fund.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:51 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
And if your parent or parents belong to a certain union you can qualify for a scholarship, while a better student cannot because his or her parents don't belong to that union.

And if your parent or parents work for a certain company, you can qualify for a scholarship while a better student cannot-because their parents don't work for that company.

And as I stated before, there are whole book fulls of scholarships given out to students because they happen to be the children of something or other the organization is concerned with.

If a private organization exists which gets voluntary donations to give scholarships to a certain group-a group which was deliberately denied equal educational opportunities for so long- what is wrong with that?

The way you phrased it, you made it seem like these students are getting money from the government that students of other races are not. And that does not appear to be happening.

I was wondering if my children who are part black would qualify for UNCF type scholarships even though by looking at them they don't look black. It was a simple question dealing with the "black enough" title of the thread.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:53 pm
Baldimo wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

I was wondering if my children who are part black would qualify for UNCF type scholarships even though by looking at them they don't look black. It was a simple question dealing with the "black enough" title of the thread.

I think you have to some how "prove" you are a certain percentage black. Or something like that. I know that is how other scholoships that deal with race are.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 02:59 pm
There's no Crazy Racist Honky College Fund either.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:06 pm
Baldimo:

Well, you said "funding". Usually funding comes from a government program. The way you phrased that, a reader would think that there is some government program to give you money if you are black and going to school, but not white.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:07 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
kelticwizard wrote:

I think you have to some how "prove" you are a certain percentage black. Or something like that. I know that is how other scholoships that deal with race are.

Will be interesting to see. Only time will tell on this subject. Its sad to know that you have to have a certain amount of blackness in you to be black. I know the old rules were something like 1/32 or 1/16 to be considered black. Knowing some of the history of the US that would almost be a large % of the population depending on how long someones family has been in the US.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:08 pm
Scholarships

The Polish Scholarship Fund, Inc. was established to give financial assistance to students of Polish descent. The PSF has awarded more than $280,000 in scholarships and has helped about four hundred students. The scholarship can be used at any accredited college, university, or trade school.

Who may apply?

Students are eligible who are of Polish descent, who have resided in Central New York in following counties: Cayuga, Cortland, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga and Oswego for a minimum of two years and who have been accepted for admission to any accredited college, university, or training school as a full time student.

Source
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:19 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I know the old rules were something like 1/32 or 1/16 to be considered black.

That 1/16th standard was established in Plessy vs Ferguson, upholding segregation laws. Since overturned.

When dealing with private organizations-or Native American tribes-it now seems to be up to the organization itself to decide what percentage or other criteria.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:22 pm
The Hellenic Times Scholarship Fund has awarded over $1 million in scholarships to students from across the United States. The sole fundraiser for the organization is its annual Awards Gala in May. The funds for the Scholarships awarded are principally raised through our journal, raffle and the generosity of members of the community and corporations who purchase tables and make donations. Every cent raised after event expenses and operating expenses goes directly to scholarships for the education of our students. Only 6 cents out of every dollar raised goes towards HTSF operating expenses, which include: telephone, website maintenance, office supplies, tax preparation, and application processing. The Fund does not employ any full-time employees and relies principally on the generosity of its committee volunteers for all aspects of running the organization, including but not limited to event planning, scholarship evaluation, fundraising, type-setting and art design. Through your unwavering support, we look forward to continue educating Greek America.

Established in 1990 for the education of Greek-American Students.

Non profit status 501(C)(3).

Awards $100,000 in Scholarships.

94 cents from every dollar after dinner expenses goes directly to Scholarships.

The HTSF annualy receives over 1000 applications.

To date over $1 million has been awarded to more than 500 Greek American Students.

Source
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:37 pm
Zoroastrians.

FEZANA CONGRATULATES THE RECIPIENTS (pdf 65k)
OF THE 2005 ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS!

2004 Recipients List Can Be Found Here

FEZANA is pleased to provide financial assistance to deserving Zarathushti women and men who have obtained admission for attendance at institutions of higher learning (accredited degree-granting colleges or universities) in USA or Canada. Two scholarships will be awarded for the academic year 2005-2006 (September 2005 to June 2006).

Applications are currently being accepted for the:
• FEZANA ACADEMIC SCHOLARHIPS
• MEHRABAN DORAB KHERADI ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIP
FOR MERIT-FEZANA SCHOLAR
• KAPADIA ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIP FOR NEED

The scholarships are open to Zarathushti applicants who have obtained admission fo attendance at institutions of higher learning (accredited degree-granting colleges or universities in USA or Canada.

Scholarships:
Scholarships for the academic year 2005-2006 will be awarded in September 2006. The MDK Scholarship for merit will be for $5000.

Eligibility:
To be eligible the applicant must complete the application form and provide documentation for:

proof of status in USA and Canada, (a minimum one year residency status in USA or Canada is required)
past academic records and achievements
program of study
annual financial need including assistance already pledged by other funds, charitable institutions or the institution of choice
other financial assistance available from family and friends
community service including contributions to Zarathushti functions/organizations.
three reference letters
The applicant will be rated on Merit of Scholastic Achievement (40%), Financial Needs (40%), extra-curricular activities (10%) and Communal activities (10%).

Award Criteria:
Applicants will be rated on the following:
• Merit of Scholastic Achievement (40%)
• Financial Need (40%)
• Extra-curricular Activities (10%) and
• Community Service (10%)

The MD Kheradi Endowment Scholarship will be awarded on merit only.

Application:
Application forms may be downloaded HERE.

Zoroastrian Scholarships
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 03:42 pm
Albanian-Americans

SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION

The A.A.N.O. Scholarship fund was established to financially assist the academic pursuits of the Albanian-American students.
All contributions to the Fund are used exclusively for this purpose, with the only overhead expenses being minimal bank transaction fees. Through the generous support of the Albanian-American Community over the years, the A.A.N.O. has been able to award over 225 Scholarships to our youth.

APPLICATION INFORMATION

An applicant must be a high school graduate who has been accepted into a course of study at a college or a similar institution for the purpose of continuing education, or who is presently enrolled as a student in a college or university. An applicant must be either an American or Canadian of Albanian descent or an Ethnic Albanian and is not required to be a member of the Albanian-American National Organization, Inc. (Ethnic Albanian applicants shall note their specific requirements detailed below).

SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION INFORMATION FOR ETHNIC ALBANIAN STUDENTS WHO ARE NOT AMERICAN OR CANADIAN CITIZENS

The A.A.N.O, Inc. is pleased to announce that our scholarship applications are now available to Ethnic Albanians. In order to qualify as a candidate for this year's scholarship awards, the following criteria will be used to determine one's eligibility:

1. You must be accepted, enrolled and have attended a U.S. or Canadian high school, college or graduate school for a total of two (2) years.
2. You must provide official transcripts of enrollment in U.S. or Canadian schools.
3. You must submit a completed application package with all components by the April 30th deadline.
4. All applications are confidential and will be subject to the AANO, Inc. Scholarship Fund qualifications and rating system.

If you feel that you meet all these requirements and would like an application or further information please contact us at: [email protected]

Click here for the 2007 A.A.N.O. Scholarship Application.

We welcome all assistance in our mission to support Albanian-American students. For further information on how you can make a tax-deductible contribution to this fund, please contact us at: [email protected]

Please include your name, current address and phone number in your inquiry.

Albanian-American Scholarships
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 04:00 pm
Croatian-Americans

The Drazen Petrovic Memorial
Scholarship

The New Jersey Nets established the scholarship as
a lasting memorial to Drazen Petrovic, the Nets star
shooting guard who was tragically killed in an
automobile crash in June 1993. The scholarship
provides financial assistance to Croatian-American
students who have graduated from New Jersey high
schools and plan to attend four-year accredited
colleges in the United States.

The $10,000 scholarship, payable over four years, is
awarded annually to a deserving Croatian-American
student who exhibits the same work ethic and will to
succeed that made Drazen Petrovic such an intense
competitor and unique symbol of Croatian spirit and
pride.

Selection Criteria
In order for a potential applicant to be eligible for the
scholarship, he/she must meet the three
requirements listed below:

*Applicant must be from an accredited New Jersey
High School who are of Croatian descent.
*Applicant must be in good academic standing and
must not have previously attended a college or
university.
*Applicants must enroll and remain as a full student
in a four-year accredited college or university in the
United States beginning in the fall of 2006.

APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE CAREER
MEDIA CENTER.
For more information on The Drazen Petrovic
Memorial Scholarship or to request an application
contact the Nets Community Relations department at
[email protected].

NO DEADLINE GIVEN

Nets' Croatian-American Scholarship
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 9 Mar, 2007 07:05 pm
Quote:
Can't we just calculate this by how many illegitimate children he has fathered?

Just kidding, praise Allah.

Quote:
Or can't we just run his credit to find out?

...just can't figure whether you're more racist or goofy.
0 Replies