July 7, 2003 -- Shelley Duvall is 54 today
By Mark Morford: [email protected]
http://sfgate.com/columnists/morford/a/
"Lube up, lean into the fire, and laugh"
~~ nil desperandum ~~

== THE MEDIA SKEW ==
Fertile weeds from the savage garden of the SF Gate newswires

== Yo Beeyatch Big Mo Wuz Here 9/11 Sux Peace Out ==

Information panels along a viewing wall at the World Trade Center site, directly below a memorial list of victims' names, have been defaced with graffiti. "After what happened here ... it's tacky and unpatriotic," said JoAnn Marquis, visiting the site from Salem, Mass, not really noting how graffiti from authentic street punks was actually more patriotic and genuinely American than most.

The panels outline the twin towers' history, including their construction, the 1993 bombing and their ultimate destruction by terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. The diagrams and photos are now covered with writing, often scrawled in black marker. Some of the messages are words of hope, remembrance or prayer: "God bless you. ... We will never forget."

Others are indecipherable or vaguely crude: "madison arrived here... Jaz -- A.K.A Big Butt..." "I think it's terrible," whined Jan Rodriguez of Boston.
"I think it's somebody that just has no consideration for the people who lost their lives here."

Many visitors to the site said they considered even positive messages inappropriate. "Graffiti is graffiti," said Rachael Jackson, from Las Vegas, Nev. "It angers me," she said. "I want only extremely somber state-sponsored plaques that make me feel extremely depressed and morose even more so than living in Las Vegas. Not some god-damn disrespectful punks comin' in here to deface a national tragedy and I think they could be arrested and strung up and beaten," she did not add, a deep sense of patriotism coursing through her all-American veins.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2003/07/02/national1425EDT0628.DTL&nl=fix
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 856 • Replies: 1
No top replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 10:12 am
Grafitti where? In New York City?

Proper forms of expression should be approved by the Homeland
Patriotism Agency. No alternatives should be tolerated!

Uncontrolled public reaction is far too powerful and unpredictable
to treat it as anything less than an issue of national security.
We need to be protected from this.
0 Replies