LOST CAUSE???

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:28 am
Living in limbo now for 3 months since my wife told me she was unhappy. We are more than likely going to separate. I am 40 and she is 30. She finally told me that she regrets never being able to live on her own. She is angry with me because she had kids too young ( we now have 2 boys ages 5 and 2) and she resents me because she feels that she has missed out on life. It scares the hell out of her to think about separating, but it scares her to stay in the marriage too. This is the second time this has happened in our 10 years together and neither of us wants it to happen again. She is seeing a therapist for her issues around this. I want some sort of therapy for us soon. Has anyone been through anything like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 667 • Replies: 2
No top replies

missconduct

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:24 am
Re: LOST CAUSE???
My heartfelt sympathies to you Peter.

First, she's seeing a therapist so she is trying to keep it together. It isn't a lost cause. As the mother of young children who is herself just entering into her prime she is seeing how quickly life moves along. She and you need to pepper your days with carefree fun.

The only life she could have missed out on for the past 10 years is raising hell, doing as she pleases, buying ridiculously expensive shoes or maybe joining the Peace Corps. She will not have missed out on anything but selfish desires.

She surely doesn't want to leave the children behind. You can both find ways to together or separately, lighten up and have some fun.

I guarantee that it hurts far less to regret never having lived alone than it will to RUE the day she left you - and she will. Most probably she will have the opportunity to live alone one day, life passes faster than she knows. I'm not even going to mention how it will ruin your children's childhood.

I've been there. Did that. Wish I hadn't. Go gently Peter, with hope in your heart.
0 Replies

catwoman29

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:19 pm
I can certainly understand her need to be free. As a mom with two little ones, escape is oh so appealing at times. However, we all make our choices and she made hers. I waited to get married and have children. I lived on my own. I lived so that I would not regret.
I think if you gave her some things that may make her feel a little more independent she may feel better. Maybe she could go away for a week and see how it is to be on her own. Then she can see how she feels without her children. How she feels without you. Let her get a job and have to pay for an apartment and all her own things. Let her find out how it feels to stand in painful high heels in a bar and be ogled by disgusting men. She may change her mind and realize that all that is out there for the single woman after thirty is looking like an old hag trying to hang out in the cool pool. Most women that I knew over thirty were desperate to get married. Most who neared forty were even worse. Hens all after the same cock.
0 Replies