Warnings About Cattle Antibiotic Overruled

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 06:32 pm
FDA Rules Override Warnings About Drug
Cattle Antibiotic Moves Forward Despite Fears of Human Risk

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, March 4, 2007; Page A01

The government is on track to approve a new antibiotic to treat a pneumonia-like disease in cattle, despite warnings from health groups and a majority of the agency's own expert advisers that the decision will be dangerous for people.

The drug, called cefquinome, belongs to a class of highly potent antibiotics that are among medicine's last defenses against several serious human infections. No drug from that class has been approved in the United States for use in animals.

The American Medical Association and about a dozen other health groups warned the Food and Drug Administration that giving cefquinome to animals would probably speed the emergence of microbes resistant to that important class of antibiotics, as has happened with other drugs. Those super-microbes could then spread to people.

Echoing those concerns, the FDA's advisory board last fall voted to reject the request by InterVet Inc. of Millsboro, Del., to market the drug for cattle.

Yet by all indications, the FDA will approve cefquinome this spring. That outcome is all but required, officials said, by a recently implemented "guidance document" that codifies how to weigh the threats to human health posed by proposed new animal drugs.

The wording of "Guidance for Industry #152" was crafted within the FDA after a long struggle. In the end, the agency adopted language that, for drugs like cefquinome, is more deferential to pharmaceutical companies than is recommended by the World Health Organization.

Cefquinome's seemingly inexorable march to market shows how a few words in an obscure regulatory document can sway the government's approach to protecting public health.

Industry representatives say they trust Guidance #152's calculation that cefquinome should be approved. "There is reasonable certainty of no harm to public health," Carl Johnson, InterVet's director of product development, told the FDA last fall.

Others say Guidance #152 makes it too difficult for the FDA to say no to some drugs.

"The industry says that 'until you show us a direct link to human mortality from the use of these drugs in animals, we don't think you should preclude their use,' " said Edward Belongia, an epidemiologist at the Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation in Wisconsin. "But do we really want to drive more resistance genes into the human population? It's easy to open the barn door, but it's hard to close the door once it's open."

The FDA knows how hard it can be to close that door. In the mid-1990s, overriding the objections of public health experts from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the drug agency approved the marketing of two drugs, Baytril and SaraFlox, for use in poultry. Both are fluoroquinolones, a class of drugs important for their ability to fight the bioterror bacterium that causes anthrax and a food-borne bacterium called campylobacter, which causes a serious diarrheal disease in people.

Before long, doctors began finding fluoroquinolone-resistant strains of campylobacter in patients hospitalized with severe diarrhea. When studies showed a link to poultry, the FDA sought a ban. But while Abbott Laboratories, which made SaraFlox, pulled its product, Baytril's manufacturer, Bayer Corp., pushed back.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 693 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 06:42 pm
I saw that. I wish that could be intercepted somehow, like by the CDC.

Meantime, apparently the cat is out of the bag in Europe alread. (Sorry, no link at hand).
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 10:35 am
Antibiotic resistance is commonly attributed to livestock, especially by the medical profession. Sadly, the simple fact is that physicians are quick to prescribe the latest generation of drugs to most of their patients, whether they need it or not. These same patients rarely finish the course of the drug, which is far more likely to produce resistant strains in humans. A few years ago, Mrs. Cowdoc went into the emergency room at George Washington University hospital with severe back and belly cramps. Four hours later, after muscle relaxants had solved the problem, a CAT scan had proved negative, and the lab results from blood and urine samples had not been received, the doctor prescribed Cipro, even though no physical exam had been performed, and there was no evidence of infection of any kind! At my request, I also received a prescription for 800 mg Motrin, because we were flying home the next day, and I didn't want her to go through that again at 30,000 feet over Nebraska. As it turned out, we filled the Motrin script, but not the Cipro, and she did indeed need the Motrin on the flight home. Prescribing the most potent antibiotic in the pharmacy when it is utterly unneeded is the fastest possible way to produce resistance in the bacterial population. However, because patients don't want to hear this, and the remote possibility of a malpractice suit could rear its ugly head, we blame the food industry instead. The "bread and circuses" strategy still works flawlessly.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:02 am
I agree with CowDoc with a caveat. Once the pharmaceutical companies get their long-awaited approval to market a new drug, they do so to the hilt. Physicians are all too willing to play the game (sometimes due to incentives on other offers from big pharma), but they aren't the only one playing the game. It cost many millions of dollars to get a new drug to market. The manufacturer is interested in recouping those costs and, as a for-profit business, getting into the black on their investments.

I think CowDoc's example would equally apply to vets treating livestock as it would to MDs treating humans.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Mar, 2007 11:24 am
ossobuco wrote:

Meantime, apparently the cat is out of the bag in Europe alread. (Sorry, no link at hand).

It's in use here since some time already. allowed to be used with various animals (cattle, pics and [2005] horses ... since 2004.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 01:02 pm
JPB, my example does not apply to vets treating livestock for a very simple reason. Food animal medicine is still market-driven. As Walter says, new drugs on the market are extremely expensive. Therefore, less expensive, tried and true drugs are generally the first choice of treatment. Nobody I know used brand new, expensive antibiotics as his first choice in treating bacterial disease. They are usually a fall-back position if strains are encountered that are resistant to the more common classes such as tetracyclines and penicillins. Unlike human or companion animal medicine, everything we do must be cost-effective.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Mar, 2007 09:04 pm
Interesting -- My point was more directed at the pharmaceutical companies and their marketing approaches than vet practices, but I'm amazed that the same approach isn't taken with animal treatments. Or, is it more that vets don't get sucked in by the marketing push?
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Wed 14 Mar, 2007 06:41 pm
I'm sure vets routinely get sucked in by marketing, but they still have to be able to sell the product. If the owner isn't willing to spend the money, marketing doesn't matter.
0 Replies