Are you Afraid of Jews in the US?

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 10:13 am
Anton is peddling antisemitic propaganda whether or not he knows it. He alleges, without providing a source, that Israel receives two thirds of U.S. foreign aid. However, i found this at Google Answers:

Here are the top 16 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2005:

1. Israel 2.58 Billion
2. Egypt 1.84 Billion
3. Afganistan 0.98 Billion
4. Pakistan 0.70 Billion
5. Colombia 0.57 Billion
6. Sudan 0.50 Billion
7. Jordan 0.48 Billion
8. Uganda 0.25 Billion
9. Kenya 0.24 Billion
10. Ethiopia 0.19 Billion
11. South Africa 0.19 Billion
12. Peru 0.19 Billion
13. Indonesia 0.18 Billion
14. Bolivia 0.18 Billion
15. Nigeria 0.18 Billion
16. Zambia 0.18 Billion

source:
CRS Report for Congress: Foreign Aid: An Introductory Overview of U.S.
Programs and Policy Updated January 19, 2005, page 14
http://shelby.senate.gov/legislation/ForeignAid.pdf

Here are the top 16 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2004:

1. Iraq 18.44 Billion
2. Israel 2.62 Billion
3. Egypt 1.87 Billion
4. Afghanistan 1.77 Billion
5. Colombia 0.57 Billion
6. Jordan 0.56 Billion
7. Pakistan 0.39 Billion
8. Liberia 0.21 Billion
9. Peru 0.17 Billion
10. Ethiopia 0.16 Billion
11. Bolivia 0.15 Billion
12. Turkey 0.15 Billion
13. Uganda 0.14 Billion
14. Sudan 0.14 Billion
15. Indonesia 0.13 Billion
16. Kenya 0.13 Billion

source:
CRS Report for Congres:: Foreign Aid: An Introductory Overview of U.S.
Programs and Policy, April 15, 2004, page 13
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/trade/files/98-916.pdf

Here are the top 15 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2001:

1. Israel 2.82 Billion
2. Egypt 1.987 Billion
3. Jordan 0.227 Billion
4. Kosovo 0.184 Billion
5. Ukraine 0.178 Billion
6. Russia 0.174 Billion
7. Indonesia 0.149 Billion
8. Ethiopia 0.124 Billion
9. India 0.122 Billion
10. Georgia 0.107 Billion
11. Bangladesh 0.101 Billion
12. Serbia 0.10 Billion
13. Peru 0.097 Billion
14. Armenia 0.092 Billion
15. Bosnia 0.089 Billion

Programs and Policy Updated April 6, 2001, page 12
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/crs/98-916_010406.pdf

(Note that these documents are in PDF format, so the Adobe Acrobat
Reader is required. If you don't have that, visit:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html )

Note that Iraq was not included in the list for 2005. If you look at the 2004 list, Iraq received more than six times the amount of foreign aid as did Israel. Even if Iraq is eliminated from the list, Isreal does not receive anything remotely resembling two thirds of U.S. foreign aid, and the second place on the list, close behind Israel, is Egypt--which gives a very strong impression that the United States is spending money to keep a balance of power in the middle east.

Anton, if you're going to discuss subjects such as this, i suggest that you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff--that you learn what is propaganda, and what is likely truth because there is a reliable source. Whatever your source for the two thirds of U.S. foreign aid was, it was bullshit, it was a lie, and very likely was motivated by antisemitism.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2007 08:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
Anton is peddling antisemitic propaganda whether or not he knows it. He alleges, without providing a source, that Israel receives two thirds of U.S. foreign aid. However, i found this at Google Answers:

Here are the top 16 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2005:

1. Israel 2.58 Billion
2. Egypt 1.84 Billion
3. Afganistan 0.98 Billion
4. Pakistan 0.70 Billion
5. Colombia 0.57 Billion
6. Sudan 0.50 Billion
7. Jordan 0.48 Billion
8. Uganda 0.25 Billion
9. Kenya 0.24 Billion
10. Ethiopia 0.19 Billion
11. South Africa 0.19 Billion
12. Peru 0.19 Billion
13. Indonesia 0.18 Billion
14. Bolivia 0.18 Billion
15. Nigeria 0.18 Billion
16. Zambia 0.18 Billion

source:
Programs and Policy Updated January 19, 2005, page 14
http://shelby.senate.gov/legislation/ForeignAid.pdf

Here are the top 16 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2004:

1. Iraq 18.44 Billion
2. Israel 2.62 Billion
3. Egypt 1.87 Billion
4. Afghanistan 1.77 Billion
5. Colombia 0.57 Billion
6. Jordan 0.56 Billion
7. Pakistan 0.39 Billion
8. Liberia 0.21 Billion
9. Peru 0.17 Billion
10. Ethiopia 0.16 Billion
11. Bolivia 0.15 Billion
12. Turkey 0.15 Billion
13. Uganda 0.14 Billion
14. Sudan 0.14 Billion
15. Indonesia 0.13 Billion
16. Kenya 0.13 Billion

source:
CRS Report for Congres:: Foreign Aid: An Introductory Overview of U.S.
Programs and Policy, April 15, 2004, page 13
http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/trade/files/98-916.pdf

Here are the top 15 recipients of U.S. foreign aid for 2001:

1. Israel 2.82 Billion
2. Egypt 1.987 Billion
3. Jordan 0.227 Billion
4. Kosovo 0.184 Billion
5. Ukraine 0.178 Billion
6. Russia 0.174 Billion
7. Indonesia 0.149 Billion
8. Ethiopia 0.124 Billion
9. India 0.122 Billion
10. Georgia 0.107 Billion
11. Bangladesh 0.101 Billion
12. Serbia 0.10 Billion
13. Peru 0.097 Billion
14. Armenia 0.092 Billion
15. Bosnia 0.089 Billion

Programs and Policy Updated April 6, 2001, page 12
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/crs/98-916_010406.pdf

(Note that these documents are in PDF format, so the Adobe Acrobat
Reader is required. If you don't have that, visit:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html )

Note that Iraq was not included in the list for 2005. If you look at the 2004 list, Iraq received more than six times the amount of foreign aid as did Israel. Even if Iraq is eliminated from the list, Isreal does not receive anything remotely resembling two thirds of U.S. foreign aid, and the second place on the list, close behind Israel, is Egypt--which gives a very strong impression that the United States is spending money to keep a balance of power in the middle east.

Anton, if you're going to discuss subjects such as this, i suggest that you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff--that you learn what is propaganda, and what is likely truth because there is a reliable source. Whatever your source for the two thirds of U.S. foreign aid was, it was bullshit, it was a lie, and very likely was motivated by antisemitism.

I do apologize and I stand corrected, rather than two thirds of the US Foreign Aid budget going to Israel that should have read one third, which is still a disproportionate amount when you consider the rest of the world.

The following link will take you to some interesting reading; it's the site of, Jewish Voice for Peace which I am sure you will also accuse of being anti- Semitic, or should that read anti - Hebrew?
http://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/publish/article_17.shtml
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 07:59 pm
Just incredible, Anton. The evidence i provided clearly shows that the Israelis don't receive one third of American foreign aid, either. And you assume that you know immediately how i will react to a link you provide--that is judging someone in advance--pre-judging, i.e., and exercise in prejudice.

And in fact, your prejudice will serve to blind you, which is usually the case. I oppose the policies of the Israeli government--i have opposed the policies of the Israeli government for more than 25 years, since the return to militarism after the Camp David agreement. I have a consistent record of being an outspoken opponent of Israeli government policies at this site. That doesn't mean, however, that i rely upon bullshit statements about the amount of American foreign aid which Israel receives. One of the problems with peddling bullshit is that you may have a good point to make, but your message won't get through because it will sink under the weight of the bullshit which you pile on it. No one is likely to get a reasonable message from you when you make wild statements which are so easily shot down.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Mar, 2007 08:19 pm
Setanta,

I think you are being a bit hard on Anton. Your own data amply demonstrates that excluding Afghanistan and Iraq, which until 2002 received virtually no US aid at all, Israelis, on a per capita basis, receive a grossly disproportionate share of US aid. Moreover, Israel, a highly developed country hardly needs any aid at all - compared to the situations of many other nations. In addition the aid figures usually omit the billion or so in credits we give Israel annually for the purchase of military equipment here. Finally Israeli exoprts to the United States reveive more favorable treatment than those of any other nation in the world.

Noting this is hardly the hallmark of an anti Semite.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 12:58 am
Setanta wrote:
Just incredible, Anton. The evidence i provided clearly shows that the Israelis don't receive one third of American foreign aid, either. And you assume that you know immediately how i will react to a link you provide--that is judging someone in advance--pre-judging, i.e., and exercise in prejudice.

And in fact, your prejudice will serve to blind you, which is usually the case. I oppose the policies of the Israeli government--i have opposed the policies of the Israeli government for more than 25 years, since the return to militarism after the Camp David agreement. I have a consistent record of being an outspoken opponent of Israeli government policies at this site. That doesn't mean, however, that i rely upon bullshit statements about the amount of American foreign aid which Israel receives. One of the problems with peddling bullshit is that you may have a good point to make, but your message won't get through because it will sink under the weight of the bullshit which you pile on it. No one is likely to get a reasonable message from you when you make wild statements which are so easily shot down.

If anything is incredible it is your reply to my apology, read my last post and you will see that I said, "I do apologize and I stand corrected", if you are too dumb to understand that then it is you who has the problem. If I had your attitude I would call you an arrogant p*ick but that is not my style so I will ignore your ignorance and say nothing. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:48 am
You are an arrogant pr*ck from what i can see. You said you stood corrected, and turned right around to allege that Israel receives one third of U.S. foreign aid, which is clearly bullshit, from the information which has already been provided.

Then you proceed to sneer at me by making a prejudicial remark based on an assumption about what i do or don't believe. Now, you use a grade school trick to call me an arrogant pr*ck while claiming not to wish to do so, because that is beneath you.

Grow up, and come back several years from now (as i suspect it will take you many years to mature), and we can discuss the subject, based on reputable news sources, and verifiable sources. Leave your childish resentmens behind, they won't help the discussion.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:59 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta,

I think you are being a bit hard on Anton. Your own data amply demonstrates that excluding Afghanistan and Iraq, which until 2002 received virtually no US aid at all, Israelis, on a per capita basis, receive a grossly disproportionate share of US aid. Moreover, Israel, a highly developed country hardly needs any aid at all - compared to the situations of many other nations. In addition the aid figures usually omit the billion or so in credits we give Israel annually for the purchase of military equipment here. Finally Israeli exoprts to the United States reveive more favorable treatment than those of any other nation in the world.

Noting this is hardly the hallmark of an anti Semite.

I did not say that Anton is an antisemite--rather, i pointed out that he is peddling antisemitic propaganda. I don't for a moment deny that Israel recieves more American foreign aid than does any other nation. However, saying that the Israelis receive two thirds of American foreign aid, or even one third--as in his pathetic attempt to revise what he has said--still constitutes pure, and demonstrable, bullshit. It is the type of thing which those who are antisemitic do in their false attempts to claim that there is an international Zionist plot, a conspiracy which already controls the United States government.

American politicians, being substantially no different than politicians anywhere else, apply the most grease to squeaky wheels. They fear the ramifications of alienating the Jewish vote, and of alienating the right-wing Christian vote (the latter groups being perfervid supporters of Isreal, as well). You have ignored something which i pointed out to Anton--which is that the second largest foreign aid target is Egypt. I think that much of the foreign aid money sent to Israel is wasted, because it simply helps to prop up their economic prosperity while their irresponsible governments pursue what are potentially self-destructive policies. You and i don't disagree on the implications of Israeli policy since 1948, and American policy toward Israel.

But saying that the Israelis receive two thirds of U.S. foreign aid, or even one third--either is a bullshit statement, and the flagrant sort of exaggeration indulged in by those who are antisemitic, and who wish to make claims about sinister Zionist plots. It is even more important to get one's facts correct, and to make reasonable statements for which one can adduce verifiable support when dealing with controversial topics.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 11:14 am
Quote:
3-05-07
Is Israel Falling Apart?
By Dror Wahrman

Foreign observers of Israel tend to focus so intently on the dangers the country faces from its Arab neighbours that they have largely missed an astonishing story that has been accelerating over the past few months: that of the Jewish state's possible move toward internal collapse. If you consider this an exaggeration, just take note of what the past couple of weeks have brought about. A few days ago the chief of the Israeli police resigned after an investigation that found several of Israel's highest police officers guilty of corruption and negligence. This came within a week of the forced resignation of Israel's Chief of Staff from the military because of the fiascos of the second Lebanon war. It was also some ten days after Israel's minister of justice was convicted of sexual assault while on duty, and a couple of weeks after Israel's president - who holds a largely symbolic position - resigned temporarily following charges of rape and sexual misconduct. It was also the same day that the head of Israel's tax authority resigned because of possible corruption charges. In the meantime, several other investigations are still pending, not least two or three directed at the Prime Minister himself, Ehud Olmert, concerning corruption and favoritism. And an appeal to the Supreme Court has already been filed against the minister of police's choice for a new police chief - again, because of old charges of corruption of which the nominee had been acquitted only through a particularly narrow benefit of the doubt.

http://hnn.us/articles/35958.html

Israel is facing plenty of internal problems at the moment, let alone external ones.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:07 pm
Wasnt quite sure where to leave this, but this seems a place where people might be interested and perhaps surprised: did you know that Jewish Americans are actually more strongly opposed to the Iraq war than other Americans?

Moreover, this is true regardless of political affiliation: Jewish Democrats are more likely to be opposed to the war than non-Jewish Democrats, and Jewish Republicans and Independents are more likely to be opposed to the war than non-Jewish Republicans and Independents.

Quote:
POLL: Gallup Iraq & Jewish Americans

Pollster.com
February 23, 2007

Additional analysis from thirteen recent Gallup national surveys of 12,061 adults including 303 Jewish Americans (conducted 2005 through 2007) finds:

• 77% of Jewish Americans think the U.S. "made a mistake in sending troops to Iraq;" 21% think it was not a mistake.
  • 89% of Jewish Democrats oppose the war, while 78% of non-Jewish Democrats oppose the war.
  • 65% of Jewish non-Democrats oppose the war, while 38% of non-Jewish non-Democrats oppose the war.
  • Gallup's Jeffrey M. Jones writes, "Among the major religious groups in the United States, Jewish Americans are the most strongly opposed to the Iraq war."
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:18 pm
That Is Israel Falling Apart? article made me laugh. It sounds so much like the right wing implosion in America with resignations, sex scandals, a change of power in Congress. Olmert and Bushie are both cornered rats with nukes.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
You are an arrogant pr*ck from what i can see. You said you stood corrected, and turned right around to allege that Israel receives one third of U.S. foreign aid, which is clearly bullshit, from the information which has already been provided.

Then you proceed to sneer at me by making a prejudicial remark based on an assumption about what i do or don't believe. Now, you use a grade school trick to call me an arrogant pr*ck while claiming not to wish to do so, because that is beneath you.

Grow up, and come back several years from now (as i suspect it will take you many years to mature), and we can discuss the subject, based on reputable news sources, and verifiable sources. Leave your childish resentmens behind, they won't help the discussion.

Tch, tch, tch … it's so unbecoming to see someone stamping his feet and crying, I thought you were a big boy!
0 Replies