About Briggs-Copeland lecturer of Harvard University

fansy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:39 am
What does Briggs-Copeland actually mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,116 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 05:29 pm
I'm guessing it's the name or names of one or two people who the endowed chair is named after. I looked online but admittedly not too closely and could not find squat on this. It has something to do with Harvard.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:56 am
Le Baron Russell Briggs and Charles Townsend Copeland were both graduates of and educators at Harvard University. Copeland got his bachelor's degree in 1882, the year that Briggs got his Masters. (They were, therefore, roughly contemporaries of Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., who matriculated in the same year that Briggs obtained his bachelor's degree--all three became influential in the early 20th century.) There are Briggs-Copeland fellowships, assistant professorships and lecturer positions, and a Briggs-Copeland Poet--all at Harvard University and Radcliffe Insitute. It appears, from the indirect information i have been able to glean, that all the fellowships, professorships and lecturers positions refer to creative writing, both fiction and non-fiction (and, obviously, poetry, as well). Mr. Copeland long taught English and English Composition at Harvard. I haven't been able to find any official information on how the positions are awarded.

And that's as much effort as i intend to make on this topic.
0 Replies

fansy

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 08:56 pm
Thanks
Thank you for the information you gave me here. I failed to find it from Harvard's own website. I guess, Harvard should have provided the public with more information about itself.
0 Replies