Army Units Skip Training in Rush to Iraq

au1929

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:35 pm
Army Units Skip Training in Rush to Iraq
By ROBERT BURNS
AP
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Feb. 27) - Rushed by President Bush 's decision to reinforce Baghdad with thousands more U.S. troops, two Army combat brigades are skipping their usual session at the Army's premier training range in California and instead are making final preparations at their home bases.

Some in Congress and others outside the Army are beginning to question the switch, which is not widely known. They wonder whether it means the Army is cutting corners in preparing soldiers for combat, since they are forgoing training in a desert setting that was designed specially to prepare them for the challenges of Iraq Some in Congress and others outside the Army are beginning to question the switch, which is not widely known. They wonder whether it means the Army is cutting corners in preparing soldiers for combat, since they are forgoing training in a desert setting that was designed specially to prepare them for the challenges of Iraq

Again the president shows his concern for the troops.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,694 • Replies: 46
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:39 pm
"It's hard for me living in this beautiful White House to give you an assessment, a first hand assessment. I haven't been there. You have, I haven't. But I do talk to people who are and people whose judgment I trust and they would not qualify it as that. There are others who think it is." Bushie
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
Maybe they are already prepared. It does not tell you how the President feels about anything.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:40 pm
Yes, I am sure Bush has a direct hand in deciding what training our soldiers need. I bet he also decides what brand of toilet paper they use.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:42 pm
Do you know the President? How do you know what he knows or doesn't know or shows or doesn't show?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:51 pm
Bushie is the decider and the Army just does what it's told training or not. Bushie does not need to know or care. He must be obeyed. Those Generals and Admirals who threaten to resign if Bushie orders the bombing of Iran can bet Uncle Sam wont be buying them toilet paper if they quit.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:57 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:
Do you know the President? How do you know what he knows or doesn't know or shows or doesn't show?

I am Sure he knows and I am just as sure he doesn't care. King George has given an order and it must be carried out regardless.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:01 pm
He is the Nations Chief Executive and Commander of our Armed Forces.
He has power. Do you know him? If not, how do you know what he cares or
does not care about. Has he told you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:13 pm
To paraphrase Bush..

Which is worse? A President that knows and sends them or a President that doesn't know?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:14 pm
Know what? You are assuming what he does or does not know.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:15 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Yes, I am sure Bush has a direct hand in deciding what training our soldiers need. I bet he also decides what brand of toilet paper they use.

I'm sure he could care less as long as he gets his war, for rreasons best known to him and as long as he knows he has sycophants like you defending his every move no matter what it is.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:18 pm
Who is you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:19 pm
tryingtohelp wrote:

Oh, there is a third choice here?

Either he knows or he doesn't know.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:26 pm
What? That the troops are qualified or not.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:27 pm
"Which is worse? A President that knows and sends them or a President that doesn't know?" hahaha. That kinda says it all.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:28 pm
parados wrote:
tryingtohelp wrote:

Oh, there is a third choice here?

Either he knows or he doesn't know.

In your post I only see two. Maybe I need glasses.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:30 pm
I thought this was about whether those troops are trained and qualified.

What the President knows you don't. Seems simple to me. So, the
troops skipped a training session so what. They do that here all the time.
So what. It doesn't tell you anything.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:33 pm
There are only 2 choices.
1. Bush knows
2. Bush doesn't know

It is hardly an "assumption" to claim that one of the 2 exists. They are mutually exclusive. There is no choice outside the 2.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:41 pm
parados I agreed and said so two. I don't need glasses then.
So, what does that have to do with the troops and skipping training?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 04:55 pm
If one were to bother to read The Actual Article from which the misleading blog excerpt heading this topic was lifted, one would find this:
Quote:
... Army officials say the two brigades will be as ready as any others that deploy to Iraq, even though they will not have the benefit of training in counterinsurgency tactics at the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, Calif., which has been outfitted to simulate conditions in Iraq for units that are heading there on yearlong tours.

Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., said Monday she is concerned about the "less-than-ideal training situation" for the 4th Stryker Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division, which is based in her state and is one of the two brigades that did its final training at home. That brigade is to go to Iraq in April, one month earlier than planned.

The other is the 2nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division, based at Fort Stewart, Ga., which is due to go in May for its third combat tour since the war began in 2003. Instead of going to the National Training Center first, it imported personnel and equipment - even Toyota pickups like those used by Iraqi insurgents - from the training center at Fort Irwin for two weeks of final rehearsals that begin Wednesday.

A spokesman for the brigade, Lt. Col. Randy Martin, said the soldiers lose nothing by the switch, while shaving about two weeks off their pre-deployment training schedule.

"It's realistic training," he said. "I don't think that anyone would say readiness is affected" negatively. He noted that another brigade from his division underwent similar home-station training before it deployed in January.

... On a visit to the brigade's home station at Fort Lewis last week, Murray asked the top commander there, Lt. Gen. James Dubik, whether the soldiers' preparation for Iraq was adequate without going to the National Training Center, according to a Fort Lewis spokesman, Lt. Col. Dan Williams, who said he attended Dubik's meeting with Murray.

Dubik assured her it was, William said. The general told her he was confident "that they were ready to go" to Iraq even if they had not had 1,300 soldiers imported from the Joint Readiness Training Center at Fort Polk to play the role of Iraqi insurgents and civilians and to observe and control the mission rehearsal exercise.

"They went through all the things they know they're going to do in Iraq," Williams said ...

So, whatchya got here is hysteria-via-misinformation. First, its nothing new, and, as in prior similar circumstance, the units mentioned (one of which already has been to Iraq twice, consequently having a very experienced NCO and Officer cadre) are receiving the relevant training, just without undergoing the additional time away from home (and, incidentally, additional taxpayer expense) that would have been component to transporting them to and from the Fort Irwin Desert Training Center.
0 Replies