Affirmative Action......HELP! please :)

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:39 am
Ok heres the thing history fair is comming up and i dont have alot of imformation on affirmative action so please help me with documents and also experiences THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 609 • Replies: 6
No top replies

mycdplayerisbroke

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:00 pm
Basically, it's discrimination against white males.

Affirmative action says you have to have a certain ratio of minorities in your organization - even if the minorites aren't qualified for the position.

Say a firehouse has 10 recruits of every gender and race. Since the firehouse has enough white firemen, under affirmative action, the fire chief must pick the minority recruits even if the white recruits are better.

University of Michigan uses a system of points for college admissions: X on the SAT score gave you a certain number of points, writing a well-written admissions essay gave you X number of points, being a minority gave you X number of points.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
This looks like a case of the blind leading the blind.

I suggest both of you start over using Google & Dogpile.
0 Replies

mycdplayerisbroke

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:17 pm
Green Witch, please impart us with your infinite wisdom against my undeniable fallacies.
0 Replies

Kfreeman

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:58 am
yes please tell Smile maybe this would help me with my prodject
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:49 am
I am not in the habit of doing anyone's homework or teaching what should be a standard lesson in any American high school, so I suggest you start by reading this:

History of Affirmative Action

The links within the article will give you more of an idea as to why the concept was first put into place and the arguments for and against the continuing or ending of the practice.

(Hey Cdplayer, how did Valentine's Day work out with your gf?)
0 Replies

mycdplayerisbroke

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:21 pm
Whoa! random, green witch! Oh yeah now I remember about that. Turns out she's crazy and I found someone else. All works out for the better eh?
0 Replies