Antidepressants

boomerang

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:10 pm
Excercise is a great way to combat depression.

At a certain point in my life it became impractile to spend four or five hours a day excercising, however.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 02:20 pm
Chai wrote:
Montana/soz....what you both said reminded me of this guy who told me I "just" had to learn about my biorythms, and how to relax.

gosh, I never would have thought of that! Try to relax you say?

Chai, I have major high anxiety and always have, so I don't know the mean of the word "relax"! Honestly, I only know what helps me, but it does help, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Exercise and eating a certain way gets me through, but I have no idea what effect, if any, it would have on someone with severe symptoms.

"Relax" is truly not a feeling I'm familiar with.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:15 pm
Alright, there have been several people so far who mentioned severe cases of depression in which the person was not even capable of crawling out of bed. That's an eye opener for me. In this kind of situation ADs seem like a very prudent response...even if it were possible to fight it off, you might lose a lot of work or waste a lot of time not doing anythingproductive.

I'm pretty sure that most people who are on ADs don'y have it that extreme, though...but actually lead functional lives and are capable of deceiving their acquintances (not close friends) into thinking they are perfectly fine, before/without being on ADs.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 07:57 pm
Shall we compare the cost to society of say, alchohol, to that of antidepressants?

Lot's of folks self medicate with alchohol.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 08:37 pm
You've got a point there, DrewDad. I was against that one for a long time for pretty much the same reasons...'till I finally just said f*** it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 11:13 am
This subject really hits home with me because both my father and sons father died from overdoses of prescription pills, but in their cases, they were both recovering alcoholics who ended up using doctors to get their fix through prescription pills instead of alcohol, so in their minds, it was ok because it came from doctors. This justified their addictions.
With my father, it was pain killers, but with my ex it was anti-depressants and others.
Obviously, this why I feel so strongly about this, along with seeing so many people these days on meds, who I think don't need them, but after seeing my uncle (the rock) turn into jello almost overnight, I completely changed my way of thinking on this.
I still think far too many people are being prescribed meds that are not needed, but I see now that occationally there is a need.
I know I'd rather take meds than to live in the shape I saw my uncle in recently.
He's taking ads now and he's much much better. I was surprised to hear that he's back to work.

I never ever imagined that depression could be that bad and I'm glad I got to see it face to face because I hate being ignorant Laughing

On another note, Docs really need to stop over medicating!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 03:44 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

They seem oblivious to the fact that your focus determines your reality.

So I guess a starving person is just focusing on their hunger instead of happily imagining that they are full and thereby preventing themselves from dying.

And that the Jews were the ones really responsible for the Holocaust because, well just so many of them worried about it and were frightened about what was happening and missing their family and all. If they'd all just lightened up a little and thought "happy" then the Nazi's would have surely stopped after killing a few thousand.

And that our soldiers being blown to bits are really not seeing victory.

And that Andera Yates kid's just thought about water a little too much.

And on and on and onandonandonandonandon.

I really tried to hold my tongue regarding Cyracuz's response but once again, my willpower fails me.

Focus does not determine reality.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 07:48 pm
boomerang.

Why would you hold your tounge? Do you not think I can handle what you throw at me?

Your focus doesnt' determine absolute reality, if there even is such a thing. But it does determine YOUR realiy.

The jews in the extermination camps would agree. They could focus on their immanent execution, or they could focus on the things that made life worth while, even in such bleak circumstances.

And the starving child could focus on its hunger. But if there was no way of satisfying it there wouldn't really be any point to it. Sure it is hard to not focus on something so pressing as hunger, but that isn't to say that it's impossible.

And besides, depression isn't starving to death or being exterminated. It is a bleak outlook on life, and changing it could lead to a more beneficial mindframe.
A person who is so depressed that he cannot even get out of bed thinks that it is meaningless. The lack of meaning seems to be a common feeling among all those I've encountered who are depressed. I wonder what it would do to their "condition" to realize that it is we ourselves who assign meaning to our existence. It is not given, it has to be found or made.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:20 pm
Montana wrote:
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started eating right and making exercise part of my daily routine.

I've read that even certain foods work to combat depression and I'm thinking that maybe depression could be linked with not getting enough of certain nutrients.

Just a thought.

How true, Montana. If you know your blood type this book can help:

http://www.dadamo.com/

I'm a type "O" and what a revelation to find out that I function better when I eat protein. Mine is the type that does not thrive as a vegetarian, unfortunately. For a long time I did the vegetarian thing, and was moody and slept poorly, except when I ate fish on occasion. Now I eat a lot of seafood, and it seems to balance me out more. Salmon is expecially helpful because of the Omega-3's.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:29 pm
Antidepressant medication does Not make you high. As a matter of fact, the side-effects are not pretty-- they range from hair loss to weight gain among some of them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 08:49 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
boomerang.

Why would you hold your tounge? Do you not think I can handle what you throw at me?

Your focus doesnt' determine absolute reality, if there even is such a thing. But it does determine YOUR realiy.

The jews in the extermination camps would agree. They could focus on their immanent execution, or they could focus on the things that made life worth while, even in such bleak circumstances.

And the starving child could focus on its hunger. But if there was no way of satisfying it there wouldn't really be any point to it. Sure it is hard to not focus on something so pressing as hunger, but that isn't to say that it's impossible.

And besides, depression isn't starving to death or being exterminated. It is a bleak outlook on life, and changing it could lead to a more beneficial mindframe.
A person who is so depressed that he cannot even get out of bed thinks that it is meaningless. The lack of meaning seems to be a common feeling among all those I've encountered who are depressed. I wonder what it would do to their "condition" to realize that it is we ourselves who assign meaning to our existence. It is not given, it has to be found or made.

This, I think, is what DLowan would label "codswollop."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2007 09:48 pm
Gala wrote:
Montana wrote:
I haven't had so much as a cold since I started eating right and making exercise part of my daily routine.

I've read that even certain foods work to combat depression and I'm thinking that maybe depression could be linked with not getting enough of certain nutrients.

Just a thought.

I'm a type "O" and what a revelation to find out that I function better when I eat protein. Mine is the type that does not thrive as a vegetarian, unfortunately. For a long time I did the vegetarian thing, and was moody and slept poorly, except when I ate fish on occasion. Now I eat a lot of seafood, and it seems to balance me out more. Salmon is expecially helpful because of the Omega-3's.

I remember seeing that blood type diet somewhere before and I couldn't remember why I lost interest, so I did a little research and found this, which made me lose my interest again Laughing

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/blood_group_diet.htm

Shucks, I was hoping it was legit.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 03:27 am
DrewDad wrote:
This, I think, is what DLowan would label "codswollop."

Which part?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 09:14 am
So I'm guessing that now the "obvious fact" is that your focus determines your reality -- except when it doesn't.

Quote:
A person who is so depressed that he cannot even get out of bed thinks that it is meaningless

I guess that depends on what your definition of "it" is.

Now I must retire to my boudoir and indulge my ennui because it is bleak and meaningless.
0 Replies

tisha

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 10:52 am
Anti-depressants aren't just for those who are depressed, I suffer from anxiety after having had a heart attack and my symptons are physical, not mental, insomnia, choking sensation, rapid heart beat, hyperactivity and muscle spasms. I was finally able to settle down after 1 month of taking Lexapro, which is an anti-depressant. My cardiologist explained my anxiety as being similar to post traumatic stress syndrome.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 11:30 am
I am very leery of the "I know I'm depressed, but I'm going to work on it all by myself" mindset these days. That was exactly what my father-in-law told his family a week or two before he killed himself.

People in the midst of a severe depression (I speak from the personal experience of seeing two family members go through it) have lost all sense of perspective. The capability of realizing things aren't so bad, of putting your own problems in perspective, is gone. The problem with thinking a depressed person can rationalize themselves out of it is that clinical depression is, at the root of it, an irrational frame of mind.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 01:13 pm
Excellent post cypher....you have first hand experience....

You're correct tisha, anxiety disorder is often related to post traumatic stress disorder.

Depression/anxiety/post traumatic stress.
All a closely related.
It effects individuals in different ways.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 03:16 pm
Yeah very good point cyphercat.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2007 06:32 pm
Montana wrote:
Gala wrote:
Montana wrote:

Just a thought.

I remember seeing that blood type diet somewhere before and I couldn't remember why I lost interest, so I did a little research and found this, which made me lose my interest again Laughing

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/blood_group_diet.htm

Shucks, I was hoping it was legit.

Aha! That's an interesting article, Montana. And I believe it--to a certain extent. However, I am not recommending you read the book to shed pounds, rather, you determine what foods to eat that optimize your overall health and well-being.

I read the book once a long time ago and refused to follow it to the letter. For example, he said with my blood type I ought to avoid orange fruit-- oranges, mangos, that sort of thing. Well, like, no way. The book provides some practical, common sense guidelines.

Lets face it, I am not going to give up chocolate, ever.

Another way of eating that I found to be helpful, but do not follow to the letter is-- don't laugh-- the Suzanne Somer's book. The gist of it is, you don't mix carbohydrates with fats, but you can use fats with protein. For example, you can cook the fish in olive oil, but you don't eat bread with the meal.

Anyway, she (Ms. Somer's) recommends you Not eat yummy things like bananas, nuts, yoghurt, tofu. There is no way I would eliminate these things from my diet, they're too tasty. Doritos, yes, those I can live without.
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:26 am
Re: Antidepressants
stuh505 wrote:
I would put this under the 'taking drugs' thread but the title of that last one seemed to confuse a lot of people.

Antidepressants are scary. I'm not talking about side-effects. Assume they are working. They make you happy when you would otherwise be sad. It seems wrong. If YOU would be sad without them, then who is this person who is now happy? It's like you've killed yourself and handed your life over to someone else...

There's a movie called The Prestige where two magicians compete to outdo each other in a transporting man trick. One of them discovers a "scientific" way to make a clone of himself at a new location. To make the trick work, he has to duplicate himself and then let the clone kill off his current self.
That's freaking scary. It seems like antidepressants are very similar to me. Your new self may be more happy, but it's not really YOU anymore!

Antidepressants do not make a SAD person HAPPY. Depression is not just sadness. Antidepressents sometimes make a person feel better and sometimes they don't. Trial and error or combination of antidepressents can take time. It is not magic. Long term deoression can be a chemical imballance.
Depression can be a one time short span or a lifetime of Recurrent Prolonged state of mind.
What if the depressed person was always happy before?
0 Replies