Antidepressants

DrewDad

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 03:38 pm
stuh505 wrote:
DrewDad, huh? I don't see that clinical depression is very well defined AT ALL.

There's a whole section on Major Depressive Disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition (DSM-IV), single episode or recurrent, mild to severe, with or without psychotic features.

stuh505 wrote:
There are no blood tests or brain scans, the source is not understood, and diagnosis is made in a largely arbitrary fashion.

Do you have any evidence of this? Studies? News articles? I will allow that GPs often lack detailed knowledge of the pharmacopeia, but that's the case with a lot of stuff GPs handle.

stuh505 wrote:
Also I find it ironic that you consider talk therapy to be the solution when you don't think some of us have business discussing it. And as Bella Bea points out, a person having it might not understand that they have it to go to the doctor anyway.

Please point to where I stated that talk therapy is "the solution." It is one factor that can be helpful in alleviating symptomotology.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:31 pm
Quote:
I would first have to sacrifice the idea that I am in control of myself...and that's a dangerous and unresponsible thing, in my book. Then it would take courage to overcome the fears that I have stated already.

Two blonds, two convertibles, two complete crackups.

One blond is at the bottom of a ravine, flexing her muscles and chanting, "I can do this".

The other has called AAA, had her car towed to the gas station and is getting an estimate from both a mechanic and a body man.

You tell me which blond is in control.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:19 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
One blond is at the bottom of a ravine, flexing her muscles and chanting, "I can do this".

The other has called AAA, had her car towed to the gas station and is getting an estimate from both a mechanic and a body man.

You tell me which blond is in control.

I agree with you on this example, because seeking assistance for matters outside of one's control is the in-control thing to do, but it doesn't relate. First of all, I believe that willpower can be used to control the physical processes of the body, even if they are messed up.

Secondly, there is a big difference between receiving a helpful push and getting a back to piggyback ride on for the rest of your life. Compare this to breaking an addiction habit. That's also something that a person is completely capable of doing with willpower alone. If there's a path or a pill or whatever drug that can help you kick the habit nobody sees a problem with that but here we are talking about a drug that is taken, presumably for an indefinite period of time, and that not only fixes a problem but changes the very criteria that we use to define oneself.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 05:38 pm
Are you saying that people with mental illness and other brain disorders suffer only from a lack of willpower?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:14 pm
stuh505 wrote:

For me it would take courage and sacrifice because I would first have to sacrifice the idea that I am in control of myself...and that's a dangerous and unresponsible thing, in my book.

Hahaha!!!

Do you mean you would have to sacrifice the idea that you are in control of not just yourself but also external circumstances and how they can affect you?

That not everything is in your control...try and you might...strong as you are....determined as all get go?

'Cause that is the position I held when I went in to see the Doc for a physical and to finally lay it on the line. To say, "Look Doc, I am depressed. Help me please."

Of course, he asks me questions and checks things off a list, does a quick n' sloppy diagnosis and then says "Well, I can give you antidepressants if you wish. I would be willing to do that. This is obviously affecting your life."

I did not and have not chosen the route of antidepressants. It scares me to feel control is taken away from me - and drugs of any sort do that. Once they are in your system, it is a commitment to see what happens. To take a risk and experiment.
Instead, I talk. I see someone. I work each and every day to challenge assumptions like the one above in quotes!

If I didn't, I'd probably be laying in bed right now. Trying to will my way out of it without changing a thing in my mind.

I don't assume to know what it is like for others. I do know that for some of us, sometimes, it is precisely beliefs and ways of coping with life that led us and keep us in a depression.

It is not easy to accept how little control we actually have over our lives sometimes. I know it has been hard for me to start coming to acceptance of it.

It sure can be liberating, though.

Sometimes I wonder how much pain and time I could have saved if only I had had the balls earlier to admit [/I]I didn't know what to do. Y'know, that I was overwelmed. I didn't have nice clean control on the situation anymore.
Antidepressants may have helped me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:35 pm
I surmise that clinical depression has biological accompanyment, but also that slumps like Montana was describing are not without chemical nuances either. Our body is one big multisytemic complex of feedback inhibition (how I see it).

Shame about wherever we are is outdated.

I do agree that non drug treatment, via counselling, or reading, or on occasion talking to oneself, can help one make changes - indeed, sense of hope, of well being or maybe getting there, can affect matters. But then, where does attitude come from? Protopackaged attitude is almost as sad as none.

In my own life, I've gotten depressed by a small bit of news and re-energized by some other small bit.
A sense of well being can be rekindled by a long walk, for some people, and for others is irrelevant, the down is so dominant.

I'm not sure how we all feel is so different as much as the chem ramifications of it to affect our ability to move.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:37 pm
I am sorry I don't have time to read all of the 7 pages here but

Depression in most of the cases is down to imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in your brain. Antidepressants work by putting certain balance and prompting chemically your body to produce the ones which will help you to feel good.. Why so much controversy about antidepressants when nobody questions diabetics when they take an insulin?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:40 pm
There is controversy about it because unlike insulin, antidepressants can be used like street drugs as a way of evading reality and responsibility.

I find the comparison between insulin and antidepressants to be a weak one.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:44 pm
Quote:
depression- emotional low
clinical depression-severely dysfunctional

where did u get this from?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:44 pm
Uh oh.

Hi tessxyz and welcome to A2K.

That said, there are a few people who will see your moniker, note your new status, note your appearance on this thread and think that it is me sneaking in under a new name.

I assure those of you who might think such, that tessxyz is not me.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:47 pm
Quote:

Why?

Why both are chemical compounds i.e. serotonin/ luck of it causes depression/ and insulin?
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:49 pm
boomerang Why should I be you and what should I watch for?

Quote:
note your new status, note your appearance on this thread and think that it is me sneaking in under a new name.

I am new do we share something? lol

anyway hi, Veteran Member - an embryo just hatched on this this forum
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:58 pm
Well, yeah, we do share something by odd coincidence. It isn't something the general forum would know but a few off-A2K correspondants that I have who are also involved in this thread might pick up on.

No worries.

And, if you go back and read the seven pages you will see that we also share the opinion that taking antidepressants and insulin are not so different!

Anyway, welcome!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:59 pm
tessxyz wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Why both are chemical compounds i.e. serotonin/ luck of it causes depression/ and insulin?

Because depression is not just about serotonin levels. We could debate endlessly.

Nobody truly knows what causes depression. Wanna spin our wheels??

There are perhaps as many combinations and individual experiences of depression as there are possible solutions.

It is most surely 100% in my mind not a case of Depression-AntiDepressants as The Solution.

However, if you need insulin...insulin is the solution. Period.

Sorry if I come across a bit catty, I don't intend to. But please take some time to actually learn and explore the topic if you are going to speak about it.

Welcome to the board.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:01 pm
Quote:
Are you saying that people with mental illness and other brain disorders suffer only from a lack of willpower?

I would not put it that way. I think that it is possible, through willpower, to affect the chemical processes going on in one's body. I would not say that anyone who can't do this is weak.

flushd, I simply mean that in order to accept treatment for something that is within your power you first have to give up on yourself! You say that ADs may have helped you, but you chose not give up on yourself.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:06 pm
Seven pages is too long for a seed but I will try to develop myself in the threads up to 2 pages. In the moment, I am just this embryo going by subjects and trying to pick my head above when I see a worm. PLS forgive my language I am not an English native.

Thanks for a warm welcome, even if it meant defending yourself in all those 7 pages. Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lash

For people with serious depression, the "giving up" is suicide. Medicine represents a refusal to give up.
0 Replies

flushd

stuh505 wrote:

flushd, I simply mean that in order to accept treatment for something that is within your power you first have to give up on yourself! You say that ADs may have helped you, but you chose not give up on yourself.

Well, you don't have to give up on yourself as a person of power. You DO have to give up something though.
Either an element of control, or a belief, or a path.

I dunno. I'm stubborn. I don't give up anything easily. Sometimes there is wisdom and smarts in knowing when to give up a certain way of doing something, though.

Whatever works.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:11 pm
How come I can not edit /: Sorry, but you may not edit posts that have been replied to.??????

OK next post and let's start again

Quote:
And, if you go back and read the seven pages you will see that we also share the opinion that taking antidepressants and insulin are not so different!

Anyway, welcome!

Seven pages is too long for a seed but I will try to develop myself in threads up to 2 pages. In the moment I am just this embryo going by subjects and trying to pick my head above when I see a worm. And forgive my language I am not an English native.

Thanks for a warm welcome, even if it meant defending yourself in all those 7 pages. Laughing
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:12 pm
Quote:
yourself as a person of power

What power do u have over metabolism of your body?

Bring those powers next time when u have a flu and see what will happen!
0 Replies