Antidepressants

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:18 am
flushd wrote:
A source?

That people can and do abuse antidepressants, as though they were street drugs?

Look around.

Antidepressants are also as easy to get yer hands on your common run of the mill street drug. All you need to do is walk into a walk-in clinic.

I'm not saying that is the definitive reason why there is controversy. There are lots of (good) reasons there is controversy.

Show me some evidence that antidepressants can be used for a "high."

The fact is that antidepressants do not work that way. I don't know where you got this idea, but you are flat wrong.

There is a short period of euphoria as depression lifts. But "normal" people do not experience this.

You might be referring to Ritalin, but that is a different drug for a different purpose.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:16 pm
I've never heard of anyone using ADs to get high, either. In the case of Prozac, you have to take it for at least two weeks before you start to have any benefit from the drug. That would be a long time to wait for a high even if it provided one.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm
When I finally started Zoloft it actually made my condition worse for a short time, which I was warned would probably happen.

jeez, this is a head scratcher, I don't know who'd take it to get high either.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:42 pm
Unfortunately, the latest fad:

http://www1.wsvn.com/features/articles/specialreport/MI33748/

Quote:
Pill Parties
Teenagers testing the limits is nothing new. But instead of getting drunk, many kids today are raiding medicine cabinets and popping prescriptions with their friends. In tonight's Special Assignment Report, we found pill parties are giving some families a deadly dose of reality.

Reported by:
Craig Stevens

Producer:
Angela Caraway

Contact
[email protected]

View all archived
7 News Features reports

WSVN -- It's the latest prescription for a killer party.

Nick Levine: "Valium and Klonopin and Xanax."

Forget B.Y.O.B. For many kids these days, it's "B.Y.O.P. -- bring your own pills."

Nick Levine: "People used to raid parents' liquor cabinets and get alcohol. Now, kids raid parents' medicine cabinets."

Pharmaceutical parties, or "pharm parties," are the latest way for kids to get high. The party favors are pills they've stolen from their parents medicine cabinets.

Jasmine: "To get in, you had to bring your own pills. If you didn't, you couldn't get in."

But once you're in, all the different pills are dumped into a pile or bowl. This is something kids call 'trail mix'.

Jasmine: "We put it on the table and just mixed it up. Whatever you got is what you got."

And what kids get are fistfuls of pills, usually chased down with alcohol.

Jasmine: "A lot of beers, a lot of alcohol, a lot of marijuana, a lot of people smoking weed and popping pills."

Barbara Zohlman: "The combo of the trail mix of drugs with the alcohol is a recipe for disaster."

A recipe doctors say can cause a person to have seizures or even temporarily stop breathing, which can cause permanent brain damage.

And sometimes, just one wrong pill can create a deadly dose.

Dr. Deanna Soloway: "If those medications are used in abnormal doses or for other indications, especially if kids have other medical problems or are taking other medications, they can die. So within hours, if you do not get medical help, you could die."

The party ended way too soon for Maureen Barrett's son, Drew

I certainly wouldn't let damn fool high school kids-- or even junior high kids--influence my approach to personal medicine.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:53 pm
Valium, Klonopin and Xanax all have warnings not to take with alcohol, and have long been used in an abusive way.

Anti-depressants don't have the same properties.

Sure you can overdose on anything, including the vitamins they throw into the mix...anti depressants just aren't something people go around jonesing for.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:00 pm
oooo...here's a site that answers many of the questions brought up...

FAQ's on Antidepressants
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 01:27 pm
Well thanks for sharing that story Chai. As for the "trail mix"...well that just redefines stupidity doesn't it.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:22 pm
Where did I say they were being used to get high? I said they are used like street drugs.

Antids are being taken by people who don't need them. I'm not talking about kids with trail mix - though that is valid. A lot of those kids have prescriptions of their own - and never needed 'em. I'm talking about people who are taking antids so they can try and avoid what is going on in their brain and life.
Living in an abusive marriage? Take antids!
Sad because you lost your job? Take antids!

The long term affects of the newer antids are still being discovered.
No doctor knows exactly what antid will work for you.
So you get to be a guinea pig. Yay.

Should this influence whether a person decides to take them or not?
I think so.

There sure as hell aren't a lot of 'experts' nor 'doctors' discouraging their use anymore, even if something much easier would work for you.

Some people need antidepressants. It helps them. Good.

There are plenty of others who have not been helped by them. Actually, harmed.
Pissing their life away thinking antids is what they 'need' and their 'medicine' and it is not.

It's not candy. It scares me how readily they have been accepted and defended as a viable option for the common man.

And can you use it to get high? Of course you can. You can with most anything meant to treat mental illness. You mix and pretty soon you are off in la la land. It's not just kids doing it.
It's the middle aged guy who takes a nice respectable prescription for antids and has drinks to wash it down.

As though majority of people on antids are on total wellness plans! That is a joke.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:42 pm
oh, okay, I see where you're coming from flushd....

people self diagnosing themselves and deciding for themselves what and how much to take, right?

Seen in that light, I do agree that there are people (too many) that don't really think much about what a drug can do for them....then again, if they were buying AD's off the street, they're likely the same people who would be over drinking, over doing some illegal drug, over eating, etc.

Me, I'm of the opinion that just because depression is not something you can see like a rash or a broken leg, doesn't mean you can just diagnosis this and treat it on your own.

Are there doctors that over perscribe? Sure. There are doctors that do alot of things they shouldn't. Being depressed or having another mental health problem doesn't make you stupid. Each person is part of the team. I wouldn't see a doctor that just told me what to do and expected me to blindly follow. I know there's many like me.

oh stuh, I thought of something before about hormones and chemicals in your brain and being able to control them. I'm in menopause right now and thankfully I haven't had any hot flashes, nervousness or anything else, but if I was it wouldn't be something I could control with my willpower.
I am however experiencing off and on water retention, and no amount of cranberry juice or other diuretic foods will touch it. I need a drug diuretic occassionally to squeeze me out (and be able to get my jeans on)....what's causing this bloating? Hormones/chemicals.

Ask any woman here if they think the chemicals in our bodies can always be overcome through will power. I mean, it won't make a female president hit the doomsday button, or ruin the national budget, but I'd sure give her her the benefit of the doubt if she said she needed a little me time.

stuh, were you being sarcastic when you thanked me for my story? I can never tell.

Was that a look?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:46 pm
Whoa, those are some detailed female mechanics! Taking notes...

Let me clarify. I know that there is some unknown link between the non-physical aspect of our consciousness and the physical aspect of the brain that allows us to think something and have that be translated into chemical messages.

I don't know what the limit of this power is. I know that some people can control things that most of the rest of us cannot like modulating their blood pressure or things like that. I imagine that for anything outside of the usual realm of control it would take extreme practice/training.

In this case you're talking about natural female hormonal cycles. Counteracting an existing process, I would imagine, would be very difficult or impossible because you would not only have to train a new kind of "connection" (if that's possible) but you would also have to to overcome the pre-programmed reaction. It would be like trying to use telepathy to nudge a ball balanced on a precipice vs. preventing a ball from rolling down a steep incline.

I see this as a much less plausible scenario, we don't even know if it is possible for the brain to affect the right kind of hormones...but when it comes to emotions, I think we can safely that our brain has a great deal of control -- first and foremost we can use our brain to make decisions about our life that will affect our happiness, and secondly I think that we can guide our thoughts in positive or negative ways to affect our happiness and potentially overcome any level of sadness.

Oh yeah, and no I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked you. I meant that. But thanks for asking me instead of assuming.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:00 am
I haven't read the whole thread, so please excuse me if I am repeating something you've already been through.

Anyway, my encounters with depressed people are not very many, so my experience is a bit limited. However, the one thing all of those I've met have in common is that they define their world as something very depressive.
They seem oblivious to the fact that your focus determines your reality.

I've always held to the belief that such dysfunctions as depression are results of a non-functional world view, and that a conscious effort to alter one's world view would go a long way in combating depresson.

Sharing these thoughts with depressed people I always encounter anger and hostility. It seems to me that when something isn't working, we should try to find something that does. If what you hold to be true makes you miserable, then why not look for alternatives?

It may sound harsh, but depression is very often, if not always, very narcissistic.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:21 am
Ooohhh...

I suggest you read the whole thread, Cyracuz.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:22 am
So you've been over this?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:28 am
Sort of.

Highly recommend that you read.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 09:31 am
Ok. Then I will read. But later, when I have the time.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:48 am
Can someone please point to their willpower? And describe exercises for it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:49 am
7-footer: It is SO easy to dunk!

5-footer: I've tried and I've tried, and...

7-footer, exasperated: Well you've got to try harder!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:34 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Whoa, those are some detailed female mechanics! Taking notes...

Let me clarify. I know that there is some unknown link between the non-physical aspect of our consciousness and the physical aspect of the brain that allows us to think something and have that be translated into chemical messages.

I don't know what the limit of this power is. I know that some people can control things that most of the rest of us cannot like modulating their blood pressure or things like that. I imagine that for anything outside of the usual realm of control it would take extreme practice/training.

In this case you're talking about natural female hormonal cycles. Counteracting an existing process, I would imagine, would be very difficult or impossible because you would not only have to train a new kind of "connection" (if that's possible) but you would also have to to overcome the pre-programmed reaction. It would be like trying to use telepathy to nudge a ball balanced on a precipice vs. preventing a ball from rolling down a steep incline.

I see this as a much less plausible scenario, we don't even know if it is possible for the brain to affect the right kind of hormones...but when it comes to emotions, I think we can safely that our brain has a great deal of control -- first and foremost we can use our brain to make decisions about our life that will affect our happiness, and secondly I think that we can guide our thoughts in positive or negative ways to affect our happiness and potentially overcome any level of sadness.

Oh yeah, and no I wasn't being sarcastic when I thanked you. I meant that. But thanks for asking me instead of assuming.

Until recently, I felt the same way as you on the subject, then one day one of my uncles fell into a severe spell of depression and it literally crippled him until he was given anti-depressants.
I was totally floored that this uncle who was a rock, suddenly became helpless. This is a man who built houses all his life, is 70 years old and is still working on construction, then bam, he suddenly can't even get out of bed.
I guess this is something that runs in his family and I have to say that it sure made me stop and think.
I still think that way to many people are being medicated for simply having the blues, but I now also think that the meds are necessary for some.
On another note, it bugs me that the chemicals in our bodies can't be measured to prove the chemical imbalances that we have, but I believe in them simply because I'm a woman who goes through PMS for a week out of every month and believe me, something is off during that time Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 12:43 pm
tessxyz wrote:
Quote:
yourself as a person of power

What power do u have over metabolism of your body?

Bring those powers next time when u have a flu and see what will happen!

Welcome to A2K Tessxyz :-D

Actually, a person has lots of power over their metabolism. What you eat/drink/take and exercise has a lot to do with controling the metabolism.
I'm on a health kick these days and have been learning so much in my research and it's pretty facinating to learn how the way we eat effects our bodies.

I haven't had so much as a cold since I started eating right and making exercise part of my daily routine.

I've read that even certain foods work to combat depression and I'm thinking that maybe depression could be linked with not getting enough of certain nutrients.

Just a thought.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 01:40 pm
Montana/soz....what you both said reminded me of this guy who told me I "just" had to learn about my biorythms, and how to relax.

gosh, I never would have thought of that! Try to relax you say?
0 Replies