Antidepressants

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:17 pm
Tessxyz, first of all welcome. Boomer can speak well for herself so I won't try to recapitulate. Some amount of us agree with you on your first post.

This is not my field - I took biochem decades ago. i think mere moments can tweak the pathways, though I've no memory of the details of the pathways.

I'll say I have a mechanistic view, definitely.
I'd guess there are many biopaths that can be affected with changes in chems, personally derived or by pills, etc.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:18 pm
tessxyz wrote:
Quote:
yourself as a person of power

What power do u have over metabolism of your body?

A lot, actually.

But I don't want to derail the thread or be the only person posting here.

And you seemed to have ignored what I already said to you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:22 pm
My posts and "expertiese" are based on only what I myself have experienced and learned through my experience.

Mind over matter (or body) is a great force...however, sometimes you need something to get that ball rolling. My specific situation was just so. Unfortunatly, there is no test to know but it was determined through other means that my chemical balance was screwy. Sometimes, it just happens...like you're sad and pressed down for so long, you're body actually stops producing the proper amount of chemical in your brain. Drugs are the only way to "reprogram" your brain into producing the correct amount.

At least this is what i was told. Perhaps it is a bunch of hooey, but suprisingly, I was only on ads for 1 year and haven't been back on them since so I feel like there must be some truth to it.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:25 pm
Quote:
And you seemed to have ignored what I already said to you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:30 pm
flushd wrote:
There is controversy about it because unlike insulin, antidepressants can be used like street drugs as a way of evading reality and responsibility.

I find the comparison between insulin and antidepressants to be a weak one.

I don't at all. Biochem pathways are biochem pathways, with, yes, feedback inhibition going on. (Well, maybe that is outdated, but it made sense to me).

I used to work with a tech who worked the crew that got the Nobel on that insulin matter, my only memory being that she wore felt poodle skirts and bought really good shoes.

Biochemistry doesn't define me, but I don't sluff off its reality.
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:32 pm
Quote:
Mind over matter (or body) is a great force

I agree if we have the same meaning of the 'mind'. What do u mean by mind?
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:34 pm
Quote:
I used to work with a tech who worked the crew that got the Nobel on that insulin matter, my only memory being that she wore felt poodle skirts and bought really good shoes.

What about the fact that u know the person who put a little brick in helping people?
0 Replies

tessxyz

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:35 pm
ossobuco
thanks for feeling welcome to this site. Razz
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:45 pm
A belated welcome from me too, Tess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:05 am
Nothing but that I knew that woman, Tessxyz. Surely a big so what re me, but neat for her.. Not so sure that was a what you call 'little brick'. Must you so readily diminish?

For me personally, I got a kick out of people working on the whys, as we did too, in our labs, though not on that exact subject.

Though re her, I'm sure she deserves some bricks. Me, no, just the enjoyment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:18 am
I have a Mac, and refresh re the wee arrow to the left of the URL.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:25 am
Oh, and on what about it, I'm not so sure that people working on insulin and the metabolism thereof are working all so differently than those working re seratonin and all its works.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 03:05 am
flushd wrote:
There is controversy about it because unlike insulin, antidepressants can be used like street drugs as a way of evading reality and responsibility.

do you have a source on this, or just your own fantasies?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:25 am
A source?

That people can and do abuse antidepressants, as though they were street drugs?

Look around.

Antidepressants are also as easy to get yer hands on your common run of the mill street drug. All you need to do is walk into a walk-in clinic.

I'm not saying that is the definitive reason why there is controversy. There are lots of (good) reasons there is controversy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:28 am
I have known two non-diabetic women who deliberately injected themselves with insulin for a pleasurable, queen-of-the-world feeling.

I'd guess that all drugs can be abused.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 07:45 am
tessxyz wrote:
Quote:
Mind over matter (or body) is a great force

I agree if we have the same meaning of the 'mind'. What do u mean by mind?

Your brain. The power of the subconscious.
Pain managment without drugs, for example.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:43 am
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying that people with mental illness and other brain disorders suffer only from a lack of willpower?

I would not put it that way. I think that it is possible, through willpower, to affect the chemical processes going on in one's body. I would not say that anyone who can't do this is weak.

flushd, I simply mean that in order to accept treatment for something that is within your power you first have to give up on yourself! You say that ADs may have helped you, but you chose not give up on yourself.

Ah, willpower.

I've shared this before, and here I go again...I've never suffered from depression but do have anxiety disorder. To me, this is the flip side of the record, first cousins with depression. Why? Seritonin. I take Zoloft as a regulator.

Stuh, I do know exactly what you mean about being scared to take an AD's. That was me.

You mentioned in a reply to me back on page 2 (I think) that you have done self analysis on all the reasons, and know where they come from, but that doesn't change the fact they are there. True, I did that also for many years, and knew all the reasons. However, as my panic attacks increased to becoming a daily event, I realized I either had to go outside myself for help or kill myself. To be honest, I would have welcomed depression to what I was going through. I could barely leave the house.

Like boom, I'm not going into all my ****, but talk therapy was necessary for me for about a year or year and a half to get a professional, third party, objective take I who I was. No one "told" me what my problems were, but a good therapist can lead you to ask yourself the correct questions, and look in those corners you don't want to see. I realized I'd been having this anxiety since early childhood, but had used my willpower to function. Sooner or later though, your body breaks down and you can't turn the trick anymore.

When medication was suggested, my answer was not only "NO", but "HELL NO" occassionally it would be broached again, with the same answer. Finally, after doing a lot of work, which made me feel better in many ways, but did absolutely nothing to stop the attacks. I was still terrified of taking any type of drug at all. I thought anything I took would make my life worse. I had the belief if I took any medication it would make me die.

For years, it's been a wish of mine to go to Italy with a friend. It hit me that I'd never be able to go the way I was. I couldn't fly from Austin to Houston without having a panic attack, how was I going to fly to Europe.

I can speak from personal experience that being on an AD has in no way decreased my passion for life. In fact, it's increased it because now I'm able to go out and meet the world. It hasn't made me any more or less happy than before, it has just allowed me to be me.

I suppose it you wanted your chemicals measured before and after you could get it done, but once you start feeling like the person you were always meant to be, it doesn't seem that important, because you're too busy enjoying life.

I'm not going to tell you not to be scared, but boy do I understand that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 08:51 am
Wow flushed, I never would equate taking zoloft with feeling high or even "really good"

it just flat out does not do that.

The closest I can conceive of this is when I first started taking it, I was finally able to rest my body.

If an AD high consists of "Wow, I really enjoyed that nap, in fact that was the best nap I ever had in my life, now I'm going to cook dinner" then I don't see the appeal.

What exactly are people who don't need AD's say they experience from it? I would tend to thing THAT was all in your mind.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 09:09 am
My overall take on that is the same as Noddy's -- there may be people who abuse it, but that shouldn't affect the fact that some people DO need it and some people DO benefit from it. A great deal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 10:09 am
flushd wrote:
It is most surely 100% in my mind not a case of Depression-AntiDepressants as The Solution.

However, if you need insulin...insulin is the solution. Period.

Sure about that? Diet and exercise can play a huge part in mitigating the effects of diabetes.

flushd wrote:
Sorry if I come across a bit catty, I don't intend to. But please take some time to actually learn and explore the topic if you are going to speak about it.

We can look up "irony" for you, if you like.
0 Replies