early paint pigments-not just for breakfast

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 07:52 pm
art
Good, Osso. That WOULD be helpful.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:06 pm
I've been using Gemini odorless thinner. Does this mean that even though i can hardly smell it, it is destroying brain cells??

This is really disturbing. I have painted all my life and dont know anything about hte toxic nature of hte paints......No wonder I am forgetting phone numbers 20 years before I should be!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:10 pm
whoa, whoa. Lets not jump to conclusions. i would go to google and look up, using a search term like (MSDS, gemini thinner) you should enter msds followed by a comma , and then give the brand and product name in as much detail as you can deliver. or , heres one i looked up for JL, its regarding acrylics. THIS is for you big guy.
http://www.unitednow.com/Health/MSDS/Paint/Acrylic/acrylicpaint.htm
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:16 pm
I once purchased a pastel from ebay and by the time it arrived it was smudgy although the artist had placed a thin paper over it. so, it seems, to me, something has to be done to fix. There is an accomplished pastel artist here in our town and I will see what she does............I never pastel, but I own some old ones.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:26 pm
This is a link a pastel of Mrs. Stotlar's, who recently won the drawing category at a regional museum here, for a pastel drawing of an orange.
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:27 pm
oops, forgot the link..........http://www.jal.cc.il.us/museum/paintingspage.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 09:31 pm
I think, zinc, that you may need to put a space between your dots and the http business...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 10:30 pm
art
Farmerman, thanks.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:45 am
there is a non-toxic citrus based thinner that you can buy - i haven't tried it yet.

I think i said somewhere else - I use cheap vegetable oil to clean palettes and brushes and it is much kinder to skin, brushes, lungs and environment. I use baby oil to clean my hands.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:46 am
..... and who kidnapped all the avatars???? Shocked
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 06:50 pm
I used to mix dyes for fibre arts inside a cardboard box with latex gloves inserted into small openings on both sides. Holding the
metal dye container inside the box with the gloves, I pried it open and mixed it with hot water. Don't know how effective it was environmentally, but at least the dye particles weren't floating around the studio...........
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 07:20 pm
vivien-I dumped my avatar for one with a dead biker , but for some reason it wont copy and I lost the dead cat .

She- mordants are the most toxic in fibre arts. The mordants are usually metal salts that open the fibres to accept the dyes better. BUT, you need to wear respiration protection until; the mordants dry.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 09:20 am
farmerman wrote:
vivien-I dumped my avatar for one with a dead biker , but for some reason it wont copy and I lost the dead cat .

Shocked we should all be thankful for small mercies!
0 Replies