Is there life after kids?

nextone

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 12:40 pm
Have been an empty-nester for many years. Kind of neat, laissez-faire, and later this summer I get to go play in my son's nest.

Vivien, When we took our son to college, I remember saying goodby in the dorm's parking lot, everyone smiling, but as I pulled around the corner, I pulled to the curb and wept , a lot. Got to the motel that night and alternately cried, a lot, and laughed at myself for crying. Couldn't believe how hard parting hit.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 01:02 pm
Yess! and sit and get waited on for a change!
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 02:42 pm
Uhoh Vivien,
I think your avatar has spotted my avatar. Another empty nest!
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:13 pm
We missed ours terribly when they first left for college. So much that I became a "big sister." Then, a move to the country (well, sorta, 5 acres) and bought horses, a pony, eventually a goat, duck, 2 more dogs and 3 cats. Sometimes when the kids leave the pets come in.... because they are so loving and lovable and great to hug. But, we still miss those kids (forever) and, yes, worry about them.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:36 pm
nextone wrote:
Uhoh Vivien,
I think your avatar has spotted my avatar. Another empty nest!

why do you think it's running so fast? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 03:53 pm
Life after kids? You jest. When my older daughter left for college, I wept, but I still had two others at home. Then they went to college, and she took a year off and went to Spain. I wept, but not as much. However, I was working full time for years by then, so I'd starting making an individual life.

Time passed. Daughter came home, went to another school, graduated, went to Spain for seven years. The twins graduated, and the only one living at home was my son, going for his graduate degrees (his twin sister was living with Peter, of blessed forgetfullness). Then he left. While he was on his honeymoon we turned his room into an office, for which he has never forgiven me.

Now today. All live comfortably nearby. I now have five grandsons, and in the meantime we retired, sold the house, and moved to a one-bedroom apartment. This whole empty nest thing has come back with a vengeance. The grandsons now stay with us from time to time, or my older daughter comes for a long week-end. That nest is fairly full.

The old saying - if you want to keep your child, set him free - I think is true. Now we can't get rid of them.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:05 pm
MJ:

How funny your story is, and how very ironic.

I'll just bet you're thinking of buying a larger home, uh ho? Those grandbabies are awfully cute, they love visiting their grandparents and having the run of the house.

Glad to hear your kids live nearby, that always helps.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 11:36 pm
Oh Misti, I'm a baby person, and these kids are all la crosse and hockey and soccer players, so they take up a lot of room. And food.

No, I like the apartment. Have changed my mind completely about housework, love to see them, love to visit them, love my rest. I worked most of my life, as did my husband, and we're having a grand time just piddling. But I do like the fact that they're nearby. And you know, my son travels a lot, and still calls me when he lands to let me know. Of course, he calls his wife first, but I'm gracious about that.
0 Replies