US rejects ban on cluster bombs AFP

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:27 pm
Published: Friday February 23, 2007

The United States on Friday rejected an international call to abandon the use of cluster bombs, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

"We ... take the position that these munitions do have a place and a use in military inventories, given the right technology as well as the proper rules of engagement," McCormack said.

Forty-six countries meeting in Oslo on Friday pledged to seek a treaty banning cluster bombs by next year, with major user and stockpiler Britain and manufacturer France signing on, Norway said.

"We, ourselves, have already taken a couple of other steps with regard to technical upgrades to cluster munitions, as well as looking very closely at the rules of engagement, how they are used," said McCormack.

"So it is something that over the course of the years we have looked at very closely. We have taken very seriously the international discussion with respect to the threat posed by unexploded ordnance to innocent civilians," he said.

Japan, Poland and Romania refused to sign the accord, while key nations such as Israel and the United States did not take part in the conference.

The 46 countries agreed to "commit themselves to ... conclude by 2008 a legally binding international instrument that will prohibit the use, production, transfer and stockpiling of cluster munitions that cause unacceptable harm to civilians," according to the declaration.

A number of leading countries, including Britain and France, had previously said they wanted a ban to be part of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons, a process which Norway and a number of other nations consider to be a failure.

A cluster bomb is a container holding hundreds of smaller bomblets. It opens in mid-air and disperses the bomblets over a large area.

The smaller bombs do not always explode on impact, which means they can continue to kill innocent civilians years later.

A recent report by Handicap International claimed that 98 percent of casualties from cluster munitions are non-combatants.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,921 • Replies: 60
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 09:45 pm
Bush is such a good christian man...and he's worried about collateral damage, right?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 01:42 pm
I'm happy we aren't going stop using cluster munitions. They do indeed have a solid place in the US armory. They have proved to be useful in close air support situations where there is a large group of enemy troops advancing and a smaller group of US troops or special operations soldiers who are pinned down. The dropping of a few cluster bombs on the advancing enemy soldiers eliminates them and saves US soldier's lives. There is nothing better to destroy your enemy's air fields and their base support facilities then cluster bombs.

I do object to the dropping of these weapons on civilian areas. The option to use them in other areas though should always be available.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:12 pm
Baldimo wrote:
I'm happy we aren't going stop using cluster munitions. They do indeed have a solid place in the US armory. They have proved to be useful in close air support situations where there is a large group of enemy troops advancing and a smaller group of US troops or special operations soldiers who are pinned down. The dropping of a few cluster bombs on the advancing enemy soldiers eliminates them and saves US soldier's lives. There is nothing better to destroy your enemy's air fields and their base support facilities then cluster bombs.

I do object to the dropping of these weapons on civilian areas. The option to use them in other areas though should always be available.

Were all the young children who lost their lives, or who have been mutilated by this evil weapon, your enemies?
It doesn't surprise me that US administrators refuse to ban the use of cluster bombs; they made millions selling them to the Israeli's, for use against innocent civilians, during the recent Israeli incursion into Lebanon

It's not only cluster bombs, what about DU munitions (radio-active Depleted Uranium) the US has used prolifically in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans; thousands have died as a result of this nuclear weaponry which goes on killing for thousands of years, if areas where it was used is not decontaminated?
DU ammunition also affects American military personnel who handle it, or move through areas where it has been used, they are innocents not aware of the deadly dangers associated with handling this insidious weapon, which the UN declared a Weapon of Mass Destruction; many members of the US military have fallen victim of this dastardly weapon, however in spite of all the evidence of the deadly affects of DU the US Government has denied them assistance.
Baldimo your post reminds me of all those in Germany who denied any knowledge of the "Final Solution," you're a sorry excuse for a human being!

The following is taken from an article by, Charlmers Johnson titled:
"Awaiting The Real Toll".
Depleted uranium, or Uranium-238, is a waste product of power-generating nuclear-reactors. It is used in projectiles like tank shells and cruise missiles, because it is 1.7 times denser than lead, burns as it flies, and penetrates armor easily. But it breaks up and vaporizes on impact-making it potentially very deadly. Each shell fired by an American tank includes ten pounds of DU. Such warheads are essentially "dirty bombs," not very radioactive individually but nonetheless suspected of being capable in quantity of causing serious illnesses and birth defects. Simply by insisting on using such weaponry, the American military is deliberately flouting a 1996 United Nations resolution that classifies DU ammunition as an illegal weapon of mass destruction.
Follow this link to read the complete article
http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2003/05/we_404_01.html
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 09:35 pm
anton, It angers me that so many American still support Bush the tyrant that attacked Iraq on WMDs that never existed, but insists on using those weapons that are as bad or worse than the supposed WMDs Saddam had in those trailers and locations Colin Powell pointed out on pictures he produced at the UN.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:26 pm
anton wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Were all the young children who lost their lives, or who have been mutilated by this evil weapon, your enemies?
It doesn't surprise me that US administrators refuse to ban the use of cluster bombs; they made millions selling them to the Israeli's, for use against innocent civilians, during the recent Israeli incursion into Lebanon

It's not only cluster bombs, what about DU munitions (radio-active Depleted Uranium) the US has used prolifically in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans; thousands have died as a result of this nuclear weaponry which goes on killing for thousands of years, if areas where it was used is not decontaminated?
DU ammunition also affects American military personnel who handle it, or move through areas where it has been used, they are innocents not aware of the deadly dangers associated with handling this insidious weapon, which the UN declared a Weapon of Mass Destruction; many members of the US military have fallen victim of this dastardly weapon, however in spite of all the evidence of the deadly affects of DU the US Government has denied them assistance.
Baldimo your post reminds me of all those in Germany who denied any knowledge of the "Final Solution," you're a sorry excuse for a human being!

The following is taken from an article by, Charlmers Johnson titled:
"Awaiting The Real Toll".
Depleted uranium, or Uranium-238, is a waste product of power-generating nuclear-reactors. It is used in projectiles like tank shells and cruise missiles, because it is 1.7 times denser than lead, burns as it flies, and penetrates armor easily. But it breaks up and vaporizes on impact-making it potentially very deadly. Each shell fired by an American tank includes ten pounds of DU. Such warheads are essentially "dirty bombs," not very radioactive individually but nonetheless suspected of being capable in quantity of causing serious illnesses and birth defects. Simply by insisting on using such weaponry, the American military is deliberately flouting a 1996 United Nations resolution that classifies DU ammunition as an illegal weapon of mass destruction.
Follow this link to read the complete article
http://www.motherjones.com/commentary/columns/2003/05/we_404_01.html

It figures that you missed the part of my post at the end where I said I didn't approve of using them in civilian areas. Instead I provided an instance where I do approve of there use.

Your bias shows when you use a source such as motherjones. Got anything else? You don't see me using Limbaugh as a source do you?

A Nazi? Isn't that way over used and meaningless now a days? I thought the left didn't like the idea of using nazi to desribe those they don't agree with?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Feb, 2007 10:42 pm
How in the world do you use a cluster bomb that doesn't kill innocent people?
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sun 25 Feb, 2007 03:14 am
Baldimo wrote:

It figures that you missed the part of my post at the end where I said I didn't approve of using them in civilian areas. Instead I provided an instance where I do approve of there use.
Your bias shows when you use a source such as motherjones. Got anything else? You don't see me using Limbaugh as a source do you?

A Nazi? Isn't that way over used and meaningless now a days? I thought the left didn't like the idea of using nazi to desribe those they don't agree with?

I didn't miss any of your post, it disgusted me, it's attitudes like yours that have besmirched that once respected country, America.
It seems you are also short sighted, there was no mention of Nazi's in my post?
My source is unimportant, I've been posting about DU munitions since "Desert Storm," I can introduce many sources condemning Depleted Uranium, even some US sources, after all it has been declared an illegal weapon of mass destruction.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 07:31 am
anton wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

I didn't miss any of your post, it disgusted me, it's attitudes like yours that have besmirched that once respected country, America.
It seems you are also short sighted, there was no mention of Nazi's in my post?
My source is unimportant, I've been posting about DU munitions since "Desert Storm," I can introduce many sources condemning Depleted Uranium, even some US sources, after all it has been declared an illegal weapon of mass destruction.

Quote:

I beleive this is where you were calling me a Nazi.

What your saying is, that there is no good use for Cluster Bombs? I mentioned close air support of friendly troops or even destroying air fields on enemy bases, and my post made you sick? You have deep issues and no understanding of the military or how it works.

Who declared DU ammunition an "illegal weapon of mass destruction" and when?

Its people like you who think the military should still be fighting with sling shots and spears. Yet I'm sure you still claim to support the troops when it comes to this war, you just don't support them when it comes to using effective weapons against an enemy.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 08:33 am
What other weaponry should we eliminate from our arsenal to appease you and our enemies?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 09:08 am
woiyo wrote:
What other weaponry should we eliminate from our arsenal to appease you and our enemies?

Don't know if you remember or not but when the war started they were even going as far as to call normal bullets fired from the weapons of US soldiers as WMD's. Mostly due to the amount of bullets a squad of soldiers can fire.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:54 am
woiyo wrote:

It isn't about appeasing anyone - it's about the idea that you don't litter civilian areas with cluster rounds. Not hard to understand that it does more damage than it helps out.

When 'doing something right' equals appeasing the enemy, you have a serious problem with your moral position, man.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:35 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

It isn't about appeasing anyone - it's about the idea that you don't litter civilian areas with cluster rounds. Not hard to understand that it does more damage than it helps out.

When 'doing something right' equals appeasing the enemy, you have a serious problem with your moral position, man.

Cycloptichorn

I have stated this several times and will continue to do so. Have you read that I approve of the use of cluster bombs on civilians? I have stated where I thought their use was fine and where I didn't think it was fine.

Several of you are having a diconnect between what I am saying and you think I mean. Reread and then lets have an intelligent conversation on the issue.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:47 pm
Baldimo, You say you have stated where cluster bombs could be used. Please tell us why the use of cluster bombs in the past have killed innocent people, and how in the world they can use them "safely?" * Kill innocent lives.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 12:51 pm
Baldimo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

I have stated this several times and will continue to do so. Have you read that I approve of the use of cluster bombs on civilians? I have stated where I thought their use was fine and where I didn't think it was fine.

Several of you are having a diconnect between what I am saying and you think I mean. Reread and then lets have an intelligent conversation on the issue.

I was actually responding to Woiyo's comment, not yours. You appear to be having a disconnect between who I quoted, and who you thought I quoted.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:27 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Baldimo, You say you have stated where cluster bombs could be used. Please tell us why the use of cluster bombs in the past have killed innocent people, and how in the world they can use them "safely?" * Kill innocent lives.

Easy answer. Don't use them in the population centers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:29 pm
What makes you think innocents aren't in non-populated areas?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

If there is a gun battle going on between enemy forces and US soldiers I would hope that the inncoents get out of there to prevent from getting hit by a straw bullet let alone some close air support.

In my approved situations what would you use to save the lives of US solders who are pinned down by a larger force?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:34 pm
You hope? Wow, that'll surely ensure no innocents gets killed by those cluster bombs.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 01:35 pm
Baldimo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

If there is a gun battle going on between enemy forces and US soldiers I would hope that the inncoents get out of there to prevent from getting hit by a straw bullet let alone some close air support.

In my approved situations what would you use to save the lives of US solders who are pinned down by a larger force?

Seems to me that this situation was dealt with by US forces time and time again during wars in which cluster rounds didn't exist. It isn't as if there are no other choices.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies