Terrorists have ambitions of empire, says Cheney

Zippo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:02 pm

Quote:

February 24, 2007

TERRORISTS' ultimate aim is to establish "a caliphate covering a region from Spain, across North Africa, through the Middle East and South Asia, all the way to Indonesia -and it wouldn't stop there," the US Vice-President, Dick Cheney, warned yesterday...

smh.com

Laughing Did they implant the pacemaker in his brain ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,248 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:03 pm
Re: Terrorists have ambitions of empire, says Cheney
Zippo wrote:

Quote:

February 24, 2007

TERRORISTS' ultimate aim is to establish "a caliphate covering a region from Spain, across North Africa, through the Middle East and South Asia, all the way to Indonesia -and it wouldn't stop there," the US Vice-President, Dick Cheney, warned yesterday...

smh.com

You don't think this is true for those that are the extremeists in Islam? I don't think it is so for those that are Main Stream Muslims but those on the fringes do indeed have this type of ambition.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:05 pm
Maybe they do. So what? I have ambitions of wealth beyond my dreams. Ambition, and the likelihood of achieving it, are two different things.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:07 pm
Islam has become a greater/bigger problem since Bush's preemptive attack on Iraq. Terrorism around the world increased too - and still increasing!

What progress!
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:09 pm
Re: Terrorists have ambitions of empire, says Cheney
Baldimo wrote:
Zippo wrote:

Quote:

February 24, 2007

smh.com

You don't think this is true for those that are the extremeists in Islam? I don't think it is so for those that are Main Stream Muslims but those on the fringes do indeed have this type of ambition.

I also have an ambition, which is to fly like Superman. Maybe even run for President. (this is a very serious analogy)
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:10 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Islam has become a greater/bigger problem since Bush's preemptive attack on Iraq. Terrorism around the world increased too - and still increasing!

What progress!

I don't think Bush had much to do with it. I just think it was the quite before the storm.

If you have ambitions of being rich aren't you doing everything you can to obtain the goal? What makes you think terrorists aren't doing the same thing? The only difference between you trying to be rich and them having control over half the world is that you won't be killing people to reach your goal. They will.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:20 pm
Baldimo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

What progress!

I don't think Bush had much to do with it. I just think it was the quite before the storm.

If you have ambitions of being rich aren't you doing everything you can to obtain the goal? What makes you think terrorists aren't doing the same thing? The only difference between you trying to be rich and them having control over half the world is that you won't be killing people to reach your goal. They will.

No, the difference is that I am more likely to get rich than they are to control half the world. They don't even control a single country, they are a far cry from controlling half the world. One could make the argument, though, that a policy of attacking countries whose governments were not friendly to terrorists, with the result being a destabilized country were terrorism and religious extremism flourish, might help them come closer to achieving their goal.

The truth of the matter is that most people in the world do not want to live under such an empire and as long as they have the means to repel these people, they will.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:24 pm
Yeah, the Taliban and al Quaida are very thankful to Bush for the impetus.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:37 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yeah, the Taliban and al Quaida are very thankful to Bush for the impetus.

I am pretty sure that being hunted like a dog, not being able to show your face in any civilized area and living in a cave is nothing to be thankful for.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:47 pm
McG, Have you asked Osama bin Ladin? Just curious.
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:50 pm
McGentrix wrote:

I am pretty sure that being hunted like a dog, not being able to show your face in any civilized area and living in a cave is nothing to be thankful for.

How has this improved ?

(remember their husbands are busy creating an 'empire')
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:56 pm
Baldimo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

What progress!

FreeDuck may not be killing people to reach her goal of being rich, but there are those that ARE. I'll leave them unnamed, since we all know who they are.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:02 pm
The original post is actually not far off the mark.

There is a movement within Islam to re-establish the Caliphate. Bin Laden has certainly expressed his desire to see it so. There is a very well argued theory that 9-11's ultimate goal was the collapse of middle eastern kingdoms and the re-establishment of the Caliphate (America's Secret War - which by the way isn't a conspiracy theory as the name suggests, but a geopolitical analysis of religion, culture, powerplays etc surrounding Afghanistan, fundamental Islam, 9-11, and the Middle East)...of course that goal didn't occur.

Islam see's all once Islamic nations as still Islamic, but wayward, to be brought back into the fold, so to speak (another quote I read somewhere, attributed to Bin Laden)

Islam is involved in 80% of the conflicts/wars in the world which involve religion (Which accounts for most of the current conflicts).

Islam divides the world into two abodes, The Abode of Islam, and The Abode of War.

Even in places like Australia, where Islam is a minor religion, the Mufti's make public calls to impose Sharia law...point Islam doesn't see itself as separate from politics, especially when it has enough power. Some of the prophets teachings included conversion by military means, unless your enemy is stronger, then you convert through subversion until militarily stronger. These are ignored by moderate muslims, but not by the Fundamentalists (hence why terrorists are called fundamentalist, instead of radical).

Anyway, basically, many muslims believe that the re-establishment of the Caliphate as bringing back the glory days of Islam.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:03 pm
Gee, squinney, I don't know why you don't want to use names. LOL
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 06:21 pm
"Islam is involved in 80% of the conflicts/wars in the world". Who are they fighting in these wars? Christians have a bloody history. Cheney is projecting when he talks of Empire.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 08:49 pm
Christianity is certainly involved in conflicts/wars around the world, but it's percentage is nowhere near as high. Off the top of my head, Islamic conflicts that I can think of that don't involve Christianity include Chechyna, Pakistan/India, Thailand, Somalia (but now that involves Ethiopa, which is Christain...heh, unless I'm getting confused with another African nation close to Ethiopa with a similar problem - there's more than one experiencing 'Islamic difficulties' in Africa), Sri Lanka (I think, on this one), Thailand, and China. And of course the incessant inter-Islamic wars between sunni & shiite.

edit : as a side note, given the percentages of the world that are either Christian/Islamic (roughly about equal % in the world I think), it is a little difficult for either religion not to become embroiled in conflict (that's not an excuse - but rather an acknowledge that some people fight for 'freedom from oppression' and because the majority of them may be from a particular religion, stats gatherers will say 'this religion is involved in that conflict')
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 02:02 am
The US vice president Dick Cheney warns Australia of Islamists wanting to create a caliphate stretching from Spain, across North Africa, through the Middle East, SE Asia and on to Indonesia, he must really believe Australians are just a bunch of drongos; his warning is an insult to the intelligence of the average Aussie, that sort of fantasy maybe alright for paranoid American citizens but I sincerely hope it is not accepted here.
I remember another US fantasy called, "The Domino Effect" when we were warned that communists were attempting to over run Vietnam and from there they would annex the whole of SE Asia before moving on to Indonesia and Australia, sadly our government, of the day, was taken in by the propaganda that resulted in the deaths of five hundred brave Australians and the wounding of hundreds more, many of whom are still suffering the effects of that misguided adventure.
We are already involved in the chaos that was Iraq and the other unwinnable American war in Afghanistan; surely we have learnt our lesson by now? We are a small country of some twenty million souls why on earth did we join the illegal invasion of another sovereign nation Iraq; we should get out now before anymore Australian blood is spilt fighting in these American political wars?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 04:39 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG, Have you asked Osama bin Ladin? Just curious.

Its hard to ask someone that has not been seen by anyone,including his supposed second in command,in almost three years.

Do you know where he is?
Maybe then we can ask him.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:16 am
I don't know why anyone is worried about what Cheney has to say anyway. He just keeps repeating stuff that has been debunked over and over again. Why do we keep believing or listening to the same people who lied (or mislead) time and again. Do we want another Iraq in Iran?

Quote:
Had Hussein been allowed to remain at the helm of Iraq, "he would, at this point, be engaged in a nuclear arms race with [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad, his blood enemy next door in Iran." (Watch Cheney warn against 'walking away' from Iraq )

source

Interview with Greg Thielmann, Ret. State Dept INR
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:31 am
Quote:

Quote:
Cheney has ambitions of empire, says Terrorists
0 Replies