I need your help.

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 10:40 pm
Sad I don't know an antonym and synonym for the word Salinas. Do u guys think u can help me out?

From,
Jamie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 597 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 02:08 am
This looks like one of those "I'm bored so I'll post a dumb question" type troll posts which we see on here a lot lately. Is it school vacation week in the US right now for 12 year olds? Have you got a homework assignment that you are struggling with? If so, this is probably a trick question from your teacher to see if you had been paying attention in class.

Anyhow, this is an "I'm bored so I'll answer it" type of post.

I guess you don't know what "antonym" means. Or maybe you do and you are deliberately wasting other peoples time for amusement. Crudely expressed, it means a word which is the opposite of another word. So "cold" could be an antonym of "hot". You get the idea?

Since you have spelled Salinas with a capital 'S', that makes it a proper noun, which cannot not have an antonym. You might as well ask "What is the opposite of San Francisco?" or "What is the opposite of Jones?".

On the other hand, you seem to think it's OK to write "u" instead of "you" so maybe you don't know the rules about capital letters at the beginning of words. Who can tell?

The name of Salinas is said to come from the word "salina" which is a mediaeval Latin and Spanish word for a salt marsh. Such marshes were present in the location in California where the city was founded. Places elsewhere in the US and also in other countries are named Salina or Salinas for similar reasons.

A synonym on the other hand, is a word that means the same as another word. Although no synonym for "Salinas" could exist, a synonym for "salinas" with a small s could be "salt marshes", except that I think a synonym might have to be one word. Also, since "salina" is not really an English word, "salt marshes" would be a translation not a synonym.

Tell your teacher that, and he or she will go, "UH?". I promise you.
0 Replies

intellidale 1027

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 03:59 am
I am your help (jokey)
well, salinas is a spanish word for saltlakes or marshes (synonyms are swamp, bog, fen, quagmire). there's another def. of it. Salinas is a city in california (i think you know it). Well the antonyms of that, you'll just find the opposite meanings of that words in first parenthesis. Hope i have been a lot help..... :wink:
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 04:43 am
Re: I am your help (jokey)
intellidale 1027 wrote:
well, salinas is a spanish word for saltlakes or marshes (synonyms are swamp, bog, fen, quagmire). there's another def. of it. Salinas is a city in california (i think you know it). Well the antonyms of that, you'll just find the opposite meanings of that words in first parenthesis. Hope i have been a lot help..... :wink:

The "opposite" of a saltlake????

What, like the "opposite" of a mountain is a hole in the ground? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies