I NEED HELP TRANSLATING MY STORY INTO LATIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
can someone tell me what this would be in latin like asap!

The house having been left, was in the forest. Goldilocks being tired decides to try Papa bear's bed but the bed was too hard.Mama's bears bed, having been made, looked more comfortable so she lays in it but it is too soft.Trying out little bear's bed she decides that it is just right.Returning from their walk Little Bear notices Goldilocks in his bed and shouts for his parents. Having been awoken, Goldilocks quickly runs out of the house.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 465 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 03:33 am
Re: I NEED HELP TRANSLATING MY STORY INTO LATIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
friends55 wrote:
can someone tell me what this would be in latin like asap!

Sheesh! What is it with these Latin translations? Your question sucks. You should start sentences with a capital letter, and end a question with a question mark. The word "Latin" should start with a capital L.

Your manners are deplorable. Maybe a "please" would help. As for "asap", dream on!

Your English text sucks, big time. Did you make it up yourself?

> The house having been left, was in the forest.

This means, "The house, because it had been left, was in the forest." This makes no sense. When we use "having been..." in this way, we are implying that something caused something else. "The dog, having fallen in the river, was soaking wet". "The pie, having been in the oven, was warm."

>Goldilocks being tired decides to try Papa bear's bed but the bed was
> too hard.

Study up about punctuation. Ever heard about commas? Always put a space after a period.

You have horribly mixed tenses - "decides" (present) and "was" (past).

> Mama's bears bed, having been made, looked more comfortable so she > lays in it but it is too soft.

Get your tenses right! Grrrr! You mean "looks"... "lies"... "is too soft" - or - "looked"... "lay"... "was too soft".

>Trying out little bear's bed she decides that it is just right.Returning
> from their walk Little Bear notices Goldilocks in his bed and shouts for
> his parents. Having been awoken, Goldilocks quickly runs out of the
> house.

Is this your Latin homework? If so, your teacher should be fired. The English text is riddled with errors.

Above all, one thing stands out. Your English text shares a common feature with many of the dumb things we get asked to translate into Latin on here. (At least it's not for a tattoo!) It is too full of modern terms and idiom. The Latin language was spoken by the Romans and others hundreds, even thousands of years ago. I know they still use it in the Catholic church, but there is no way you can just translate any old piece of English directly into Latin. For example the following would be impossible to translate into Latin: "DVD players $15.99 at Best Buy!"

I could have just got a block of cod-latin from a Loret Ipsum website and plugged in a "Goldilocks" and "Ursa minor" every few words and you'd have been none the wiser.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 01:38 pm
Assignment: the ablative absolute.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 02:28 pm
I'm betting "Assignment" or "Take Home Exam" as in "demonstrate some command of Classical Latin".
0 Replies