snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:50 pm
truth hurts
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:52 pm
Why do you suppose the founding fathers wanted a civilian as commander-in-chief instead of a military general?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:56 pm
snood wrote:
truth hurts

Yeah, like jumping out of a burning 100-story tower.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:36 pm
I think this is more what I meant...

Quote:
So we have a bunch of incompetents fighting an unjustified war, and ignoring the advice of those best qualified to advise them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
This is a military middle management bungle, not a congressional scandal. I am glad it has come to the attention of the public as these things should not go unnoticed.

The typical Bush Bashers will lay this at his doorstep as though it's his personal fault. Have a good 5 minutes folks, just be sure to wipe up the drool when it's over.

While I am a proud Bush basher, I do agree with McGentrix on these first two sentences, and of course not the last two. I rarely drool.

I'll agree with all who mentioned how horrible this situation has been for the soldiers.

Middle management does take cues from above, but I'm not so clear this specific situation was above directed except by default. And the general default does matter.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:03 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why do you suppose the founding fathers wanted a civilian as commander-in-chief instead of a military general?

In fact, every day as the members of the Constitutional convention convened, they looked up to the desk of the presiding officer, and they saw George Washington, the most respected military man in the history of this nation. As they framed the rules of the executive branch, they had him always before them, and no one doubted that he would be the first President of the United States. Presidents who have served the nation in times of war:

George Washington
James Madison
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
Zachary Taylor
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses Grant
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Benjamin Harrison
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
(James Carter was attending the United States Naval Academy at the time the Second World War Ended)
Ronald Reagan
George Herbert Walker Bush

The Constitution does not prohibit a military officer from standing for the office of President. There are few things more idiotic than making a statement about the Commander in Chief being a civilian. Were a serving military officer to stand for the office of President, and were elected, he would obviously resign his commission to take office. Therefore, by definition, all Presidents are civilians, and all Commanders in Chief are civilians.

That was one of your more pathetic efforts, McWhitey, and that's saying a lot.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 06:59 am
"Reverse" racism shows its ugly face once again at A2K and will likely go unpunished.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:01 am
Middle Management foulup? Maybe but WHERE IS THE OVERSIGHT!!!

These damed policiticans crawled and begged to be seen at the opening of the Interpid Fallen Hero Rehab Center in Texas last month. That facility was built in about 10 months with PRIVATE DONATIONS.

The attached list reflects those citizens who contributed.

Outside of "Friends of John McCain" I did not see ONE "EFFING POLICIANS" name on this list. Yet, the like of Hillery begged to be seen at the opening.

Yet where were they in reviewing the mess at Walter Reed? Have you heard one PEEP from any of them yesterday?

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/common/page.php?ref=our_contributors
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 07:45 am
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

In fact, every day as the members of the Constitutional convention convened, they looked up to the desk of the presiding officer, and they saw George Washington, the most respected military man in the history of this nation. As they framed the rules of the executive branch, they had him always before them, and no one doubted that he would be the first President of the United States. Presidents who have served the nation in times of war:

George Washington
James Madison
James Monroe
Andrew Jackson
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler
Zachary Taylor
James Buchanan
Abraham Lincoln
Ulysses Grant
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Benjamin Harrison
William McKinley
Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.
Harry Truman
Dwight Eisenhower
John Kennedy
Richard Nixon
Gerald Ford
(James Carter was attending the United States Naval Academy at the time the Second World War Ended)
Ronald Reagan
George Herbert Walker Bush

The Constitution does not prohibit a military officer from standing for the office of President. There are few things more idiotic than making a statement about the Commander in Chief being a civilian. Were a serving military officer to stand for the office of President, and were elected, he would obviously resign his commission to take office. Therefore, by definition, all Presidents are civilians, and all Commanders in Chief are civilians.

You missed a few on your list there Setanta. At least be thorough if your going to attempt to be a jerk.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 08:40 am
woiyo wrote:
Middle Management foulup? Maybe but WHERE IS THE OVERSIGHT!!!

These damed policiticans crawled and begged to be seen at the opening of the Interpid Fallen Hero Rehab Center in Texas last month. That facility was built in about 10 months with PRIVATE DONATIONS.

The attached list reflects those citizens who contributed.

Outside of "Friends of John McCain" I did not see ONE "EFFING POLICIANS" name on this list. Yet, the like of Hillery begged to be seen at the opening.

Yet where were they in reviewing the mess at Walter Reed? Have you heard one PEEP from any of them yesterday?

http://www.fallenheroesfund.org/common/page.php?ref=our_contributors

I don't know how you missed this one after hearing over and over last election about how Kerry's company has so many overseas jobs..

The H.J. Heinz Company
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:09 am
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

George Washington, etc.

. . .

You missed a few on your list there Setanta. At least be thorough if your going to attempt to be a jerk.

I did that from memory, so if you've run out to look it up, i'd be interested to know which Presidents you allege served the nation in time of war--that doesn't mean which Presidents were in office in time of war, it means which Presidents at some time other than their term in office, served the nation in time of war. For example, Lincoln served in the Illinois militia at the time of the Blackhawk War. Grant, Hayes, Arthur, Garfield, Benjamin Harrison and McKinley all served in the Federal army in the American Civil War.

You are being thoroughly a jerk, though. Nowhere does any part of the Constitution state that the Commander in Chief must be a civilian. It is such an idiotic contention (and therefore typical of what passes as political philosophy at your house), that it would never have occurred to the framers to have reviewed the issue.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 09:11 am
http://www.columbusalive.com/2006/0824/images/fo-taste.jpg
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:30 am
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Setanta wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

George Washington, etc.

. . .

I did that from memory, so if you've run out to look it up, i'd be interested to know which Presidents you allege served the nation in time of war--that doesn't mean which Presidents were in office in time of war, it means which Presidents at some time other than their term in office, served the nation in time of war. For example, Lincoln served in the Illinois militia at the time of the Blackhawk War. Grant, Hayes, Arthur, Garfield, Benjamin Harrison and McKinley all served in the Federal army in the American Civil War.

You are being thoroughly a jerk, though. Nowhere does any part of the Constitution state that the Commander in Chief must be a civilian. It is such an idiotic contention (and therefore typical of what passes as political philosophy at your house), that it would never have occurred to the framers to have reviewed the issue.

From memory, how many politicians actually give 2 sh!ts about the care of our service men/women? How many pay attention and ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING about them.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2007 07:15 pm
In Holland, the Minister of Defence would surely have had to resign if such revelations came to light.

Quote:
Democrats spring to action to help soldiers at Walter Reed

The Hill
20 February 2007

Democrats Tuesday reacted swiftly to reports that some soldiers recovering at Walter Reed Army Medical Center face desolate conditions. [..]

Obama and Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) said they would introduce legislation to improve the ratio of caseworkers to recovering soldiers, ensure caseworkers are better trained, cut back on the red tape recovering soldiers confront and set a timeline for repairs to "substandard facilities."

"I felt sick when I read these articles about how our injured American military men and women are being treated at Walter Reed," McCaskill said. "They sacrificed and fought bravely in Iraq and Afghanistan. They shouldn't have to fight a whole new war at home to receive the service and compensation they deserve."

Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-N.Y.), who chairs the House Rules Committee, sent a letter to Department of Defense Secretary Robert Gates Tuesday, asking for an explanation on how Walter Reed, which the lawmakers describe as once being the " crown-jewel of military medicine," could become "a bleak and frustrating place for our wounded soldiers to recover."

The army already has announced that one of the buildings discussed in the Post article, the so-called Building 18, would be repaired.

"However, these improvements are long-overdue and I cannot help but think that they would not have begun at all had the Washington Post not blown the whistle," Slaughter said. [..]

White House spokesman Tony Snow told reporters today that the soldiers "deserve better," but also noted that "thousands of soldiers have been through the system who have been cared for."
0 Replies