woiyo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:28 am
What is it exactly our elected officials do for the compensation we provide them? Is all they do just double talk and running for their next election?

This is not a partisen post. Each and every elected official in the federal govt should be fired for lack of caring. Starting with the lowest Representative to every Senator to the President and their staff.

WASHINGTON - The White House and congressional leaders called Tuesday for swift investigation and repair of the problems plaguing outpatient care at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Top Army officials on Tuesday visited Building 18, the decrepit former hotel housing more than 80 recovering soldiers, outside the gates of the medical center.

Army Secretary Francis Harvey and Vice Chief of Staff Richard Cody toured the building and spoke to soldiers as workers in protective masks stripped mold from the walls and tore up soiled carpets.

Harvey said he was surprised and disappointed at the conditions and the frustrating bureaucratic delays. "In the warrior ethos the last line says you should never leave a fallen comrade, and from that facility point of view we didn't live up to it," he said, adding that conditions at the building are "inexcusable."

At the White House, spokesman Tony Snow said he spoke with the president Tuesday about Walter Reed and the president told him: "Find out what the problem is and fix it."

He said Bush "first learned of the troubling allegations regarding Walter Reed from the stories this weekend in The Washington Post. He is deeply concerned and wants any problems identified and fixed." He said he did not know why the president, who has visited the facility many times in the past five years, had not heard about these problems before."

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/07/02/21/100wir_a4walterreed001.cfm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,943 • Replies: 33
No top replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 07:49 am
Woiyo, when will people in this country realize that the business of our elected officials is simply figuring out how to get re-elected. That is their main function. Which is why I firmly believe we need changes.

I firmly believe in the need for constitutionally enacted term limits. I know all the arguments against them. We have the power to limit them by voting them out, blah, blah, blah. But too many citizens vote for the familiar name without giving any thought to what their reps have done or are doing to us. Idiot voters are as much to blame as idiot politicians. Give them all two terms and then send them home. If two terms are all we are expected to stomach from a president, then two terms should be enough for the others.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:20 am
I agree.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:22 am
Some do care.

Unfortunately they are often in the minority. (Even if their party does happen to be the majority.)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 08:31 am
Nuge for president. All he needs is a two year term. Party over.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 09:15 am
All I see is several Senators going to Nevada to campaign for an office that will nto be vacant for 2 "effing" years?

They will ALL (Clinton, McCain, Obama et al..) will blame Bush, yet these facilities have been crappy for ages and no one paid attention until some scrub reporter points it out?

I want to hear from all the partisens and I want them to criticize their croney else be thought of as touts.

This is a national disgrace and I am a very upset veteren of the military.
0 Replies

Shellgame

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 10:54 am
Is Building 18 a place that has been in continuous use for an extended time, or did they have to open up additional buildings to find space on short notice? I'm wondering who okayed putting injured soldiers there and who found it acceptable housing so we can move his or her family in.

It is disgusting that they are going in in hazardous material suits to clean up what our soldiers have been breathing and living in - some with open wounds.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:25 pm
This is a military middle management bungle, not a congressional scandal. I am glad it has come to the attention of the public as these things should not go unnoticed.

The typical Bush Bashers will lay this at his doorstep as though it's his personal fault. Have a good 5 minutes folks, just be sure to wipe up the drool when it's over.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:33 pm
The crappy VA health care system is hardly new news. It has been known for a long time.

Quote:
WASHINGTON - March 22, 1999 - Senator Tim Johnson (D-SD) and Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN), other members of Congress, leaders from the nation's veterans service organizations and AFGE union leadership will hold a news conference Wednesday at 9:15 am at the VFW Washington Headquarters to announce their push for increasing the veterans' health care budget, and the Johnson-Wellstone amendment to the budget resolution to add $2 billion in FY 2000 above the level contained in the budget resolution.

Quote:
Friday 06 April 2001
Washington - The United States Senate, now debating spending and tax policy, today passed by a vote of 53-46 an amendment of Senator Paul Wellstone (D-MN) to the Fiscal Year 2002 Budget Resolution (H. Con. Res. 83) to increase by $1.7 billion the budget for veterans' health care above President Bush's proposal, bringing the total increase to $2.6 billion. The successful Wellstone provision further takes $17 billion from the Bush tax cut over the next ten years and directs it to health care for America's veterans. A united Democratic caucus was joined by GOP senators Ensign, Specter and McCain to post a big win for veterans and their families

But don't worry, Bush is on top of it..

Quote:
source - Yahoo News
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 12:36 pm
Don't blame me - I didn't vote any of those idiots.

I just long for the days when our President didn't sound like a third grade dropout. I don't think all people in office are idiots or greedy bastards, but history shows it's easy for people like that to get elected.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:04 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I just long for the days when our President didn't sound like a third grade dropout.

You mean like when we had the one that sounded like an Arkansas high school pervert?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:15 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
I just long for the days when our President didn't sound like a third grade dropout.

You mean like when we had the one that sounded like an Arkansas high school pervert?

You're just jealous that he got head and you didn't. The problem with Bush is that he doesn't have a head on his shoulders or one between his legs.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:31 pm
Green Witch wrote:
... or one between his legs.

Gosh, you're more intimate with the prez than you have ever let on. Better keep that relationship a secret or you'll have a lot of trouble on your hands.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 01:32 pm
Hardly. Monica isn't worthy of my "little head".

Bush speak is hard to understand - he plays the slots everytime he opens his mouth. But Clinton speaks in a singsong voice - makes me want to puke whenever I hear him.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:00 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Green Witch wrote:
... or one between his legs.

Gosh, you're more intimate with the prez than you have ever let on. Better keep that relationship a secret or you'll have a lot of trouble on your hands.

I don't need to get intimate with the man to know if he's got balls or not - I just observe how he functions in the world. Bush is bully and a sissy hawk who is happy to send young men (and women) to their death defending his lack of bravery.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:11 pm
Wow... The president of the United States doesn't go and fight on the front lines with the troops and that makes him a pussy. I guess that would make the Joint Chiefs of Staff pussies too, huh? I don't see them fighting either. In fact, every single congressman and woman must be worthless "sissyhawks" because they aren't on the front lines either. Ever. No matter what war we have fought.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Hardly. Monica isn't worthy of my "little head".

Bush speak is hard to understand - he plays the slots everytime he opens his mouth. But Clinton speaks in a singsong voice - makes me want to puke whenever I hear him.

Bush is hard to understand because he's speaking a unrecognizable language. I know Mexican immigrants who speak better English. Really Cj, can you think of another president (Dem or Rep) who spoke so poorly? I didn't always like what other presidents had to say, but I never thought "what the hell is talking about - is that a word?". Bush is of course at his worst when he speaking "off the cuff", but even his speeches are dumbed down. No other president used this style. I think it's a reflection of how this adminstration sees Americans - to them we are a bunch of dumb ass, TV watching, Enquirer reading, tell them what they want to hear and they will vote for you suckers. If Bush was a Democrat, one of you Republicans would have put a bullet into him by now.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Wow... The president of the United States doesn't go and fight on the front lines with the troops and that makes him a pussy. I guess that would make the Joint Chiefs of Staff pussies too, huh? I don't see them fighting either. In fact, every single congressman and woman must be worthless "sissyhawks" because they aren't on the front lines either. Ever. No matter what war we have fought.

McG - do you consider Bush a brave leader? I think many of our presidents exhibited bravery in times of challenge and crisis - FDR, Reagan, Kennedy. I see no such energy coming from Bush.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 03:25 pm
The joint chiefs of staff are career military officers, and it is extremely rare that any officer reaches the highest ranks of general officer or of admiral without having gone in harm's way. Many members of Congress have served in the military, and in time of war. Many Presidents have served in the military. The problem we have with this administration is that they do not listen to the good advice which is available from the career military officers in the Defense Department--Rummy was the Lord and Master, and none dared disagree. So we have a bunch of incompetents fighting an unjustified war, and ignoring the advice of those best qualified to advise them. The other side of that coin is that when Americans have been maimed in that war, they return to a nation whose gratitude is filtered through this administration's determination to cut veterans benefits and the budget of the VA's health care system. Thanks, chump, now go find a corner to sit at while you beg.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 21 Feb, 2007 06:34 pm
Somebody must have missed snack time.
0 Replies