What makes me really really angry

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
Bush works his ass off getting tax breaks for the wealthy while there continues to be grossly inadequate medical services for wounded US soldiers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,178 • Replies: 25
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:30 pm
Yeah. Don't get me started.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:33 pm
Come April 15th, why don't you guys tip Uncle Sam a bit more of your income. Tell them they can keep it to offset the tax breaks for the wealthy.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:35 pm
what about the billions spent on this war? who is it for and who is benefitting? not the majority of americans.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Come April 15th, why don't you guys tip Uncle Sam a bit more of your income. Tell them they can keep it to offset the tax breaks for the wealthy.
cause it's okay to pork the veterans and deny them essentials.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
How can they eat off those gold plates got at the expense of their fellow citizens who make such luxuries possible when those have only the sad black bread ground in misery sticking in their craw unless washed down with the tears of grief and despair.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:46 pm
Who are homeless veterans?

The U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) says the nation's homeless veterans are mostly males (4 % are females). The vast majority are single, most come from poor, disadvantaged communities, 45% suffer from mental illness, and half have substance abuse problems. America's homeless veterans have served in World War II, Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, Grenada, Panama, Lebanon, Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan), Operation Iraqi Freedom, or the military's anti-drug cultivation efforts in South America. Forty-seven percent of homeless veterans served during the Vietnam Era. More than 67% served our country for at least three years and 33% were stationed in a war zone.

How many homeless veterans are there?

Although accurate numbers are impossible to come by -- no one keeps national records on homeless veterans -- the VA estimates that nearly 200,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. And nearly 400,000 experience homelessness over the course of a year. Conservatively, one out of every three homeless men who is sleeping in a doorway, alley or box in our cities and rural communities has put on a uniform and served this country. According to the National Survey of Homeless Assistance Providers and Clients (U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness and the Urban Institute, 1999), veterans account for 23% of all homeless people in America.

Why are veterans homeless?

In addition to the complex set of factors affecting all homelessness -- extreme shortage of affordable housing, livable income, and access to health care -- a large number of displaced and at-risk veterans live with lingering effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and substance abuse, compounded by a lack of family and social support networks.

http://www.nchv.org/background.cfm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:54 pm
I would say that as a wounded Vietnam vet I got excellent medicare but also that VA med care has continued to decline since WW II. It's just not a priority.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 06:57 pm
Re: What makes me really really angry
dyslexia wrote:
Bush works his ass off getting tax breaks for the wealthy while there continues to be grossly inadequate medical services for wounded US soldiers.

It's not new. It continues to outrage me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:01 pm
Good to see you, Amigo. Those stats, especially the homelessness stats, are astonishing.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:03 pm
Hiya Littlek Very Happy

The homeless Vets in downtown can always count on me for a little conversation, a couple bucks and a bite to eat. They know far more about our government then the average well to do citizen.

One time I was short some change for the parking meter in downtown so I asked this homeless vet I know to barrow some change and he gave to me right away. My friend said "You the only person I will ever see barrow change from a bum and get it."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:22 pm
Ha! A homeless vet took a liking to me in GA. His name is Jim. He used to darken his hair with permanent marker. "They" would send him away every now and then. One of these times, he sent me a letter to the bar I worked at.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:36 pm
What did the letter say?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:45 pm
Hmmm.... can I find it? Not in the first place I can think of looking. I can't remember. He tended to go on about government agents in a rant-ish sort of way. He was paranoid, but then they kept sending him away, no wonder.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:48 pm
I see you too, littlek, have forgotten our vetrens Crying or Very sad Poor fighting Jim, DEAD! from a broken heart.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:51 pm
One of my buds was a VA nurse in prime time. Tough work, but not as tough, I guess, as being the patient.

Glad to see you, Amigo.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 07:52 pm
ossobuco! A great woman!..........HI! Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:01 pm
Hi, friend! But littlek didn't forget that fellow...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:06 pm
S'true! I will never forget him.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 20 Feb, 2007 08:07 pm
I dislike, if not am really angry at, the young women downstairs - tenants at my boss's house where i'm staying for two weeks - that sound like squeaky toys. why do some women pitch their voice a bunch of tones higher than where it would naturally be? grrrrrr.
0 Replies