Elderly Golf Murder

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 03:22 pm
Has anyone heard about this strange story?
I havent had time in the last few days to check out the local stories of interest and when one of my co-workers gave me the bit and pieces she knew..I was appauled!
Did two old men fight each other at a golf tournament and one die?
Its just to much to absorb I think Im glad I havent seen the news yet but, Hope to watch tonight if possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,091 • Replies: 12
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:26 pm
Well, I found some info but, Im still a bit baffled at the whole situation.

QUINCY, Mass. -- A Milton man was arraigned on manslaughter charges Tuesday in the weekend beating death of a man on a Quincy golf course.

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Robert Carnathan, 54, was ordered held on $10,000 bail. Prosecutors said that he beat 79-year-old Donald King to death at President's Golf Course.

Prosecutor Susan Corcoran said that the fight erupted over golf balls the disabled Carnathan frequently collected and sold to golfers.

"According to witnesses, the defendant took some rocks and started throwing them at the victim," Corcoran said." Nearby golfers started yelling at the defendant to stop fighting with the victim."

Corcoran said that Carnathan admitted fighting with King.

"One of the witnesses spoke with the defendant and asked him what happened," she said. "The defendant then said to the witness that the victim tried to take his golf balls, that he struck him on the head with his cane and that he got what he deserved."

Defense attorney Joe Oteri said that Carnathan was defending himself.

"The police report that they provided me said that there was a fight," Oteri said. "They have a picture of [Carnathan] with a spilt lip, with blood all over his mouth. The victim obviously hit him -- he says first -- in the mouth."

Corcoran said that the case remains under investigation, pending the results of an autopsy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:34 pm
Wow! In my town someone recently dropped dead of a coronary on the golf course, but MURDERED!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2002 04:37 pm
I KNOW!

Its just a little frightening, makes you shake your head and all that.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 02:00 pm
Was that really a fair fight, geez - the one old guy was 79 and the guy who killed him was only 54???????
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 02:16 pm
Felony?
Isn't it a felony to physically attack a person over 60 years of age? Question
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:27 pm
babsatamelia wrote:
Was that really a fair fight, geez - the one old guy was 79 and the guy who killed him was only 54???????

Firstly, it was silly..over golf balls for goodness sake
Second..no, I really dont think it was fair
Third...sickos, the world is filled with them!!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:28 pm
Re: Felony?
New Haven wrote:
Isn't it a felony to physically attack a person over 60 years of age? Question

You know, if it isnt
IT SHOULD BE
I however have no idea
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 06:05 pm
quinn1- I am not sure, but I think that, at least in Florida, there are more severe penalties, if a younger person assaults a senior. But he wasn't assaulted. He was MURDERED!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 07:51 pm
Self Defense?

I think he's claiming self-defense. He showed up at court in a wheelchair.

He's tying to set the stage for self-defense right now! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 07:20 pm
He should just be put into the Senior Center for a BINGO prize and let them do what they will with him

Really NH...what a dope, but then again, I guess that was apparent before.

Phoenix, it certainly should be a more serious crime where the elderly are concerned!
0 Replies

Smitty

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:45 pm
Believe I can recall this one. It seems the land/home of the 54 yr old crippled man was right next to said golf course. Now many golfers either sliced or hooked balls on to his land, which he collected & would sell to golfers. That is where all the fuss started up & ended for one man.
So you see you are not even safe on a costly golf course.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 10:16 pm
Or in your own home, if near the golf course either
still...
gosh, its just a bit over the edge for my tastes
0 Replies