Snake Oil and other Potions

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 07:18 am
For as long as recorded history, humans have looked to the natural world for medicines and other cures. Plants, molds, and animal products were often found to be rich sources of useful medical items.
Today, most new medicines are synthesized in laboratories, however, some new, and some old, natural remedies are now the hottest selling category of over the counter medications. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of these, and their effects, good or bad.

I'll start with a few that I've taken for various ailments. Please note, I am not a doctor, and I'm not recommending any of these things, just relating my experience and that of others I know.

Capcaisin. Capcaisin is what makes hot peppers hot. Dissolved in cream form, it can be topically applied to help relieve aches and pains. My experience says this stuff works when used regularly, however, don't get it on your privates or mucas membranes.

St. John's Wort. Supposedly a mood elevator. Truly snake oil, doesn't work.

Ginkgo Biloba. Marketed as a booster for concentration and short term memory. The jury, and mine, is still out. Honestly, I hope it works, because what used to be my photographic short term memory has been totally destroyed by the constant interruption of modern society.

Fish Oil/Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Sold as a cardiovascular supplement. Oddly, while reading up on arthritis, fish oil was mentioned as a source of relief. I took it on that alone, and was shocked when a subsequent cholesterol reading dropped like a rock - both LDL and triglycerides. It also seems to have improved circulation in my lower legs. Conclusion: You should probably take this stuff unless you eat salmon five or more times a week.

Glucosamine/Chrondroitin. Most of you probably know about this. In fact, just about anybody over 40 has tried it for joint pain relief, and just about everyone I've ever talked to about it has reported positive results. So, it seems to work, as long as you aren't allergic to shellfish.

Zanfel. Zanfel isn't really a medicine so much as a remedy. It is tiny beads of plastic in a powerful soap intended to relieve the symptoms of poison oak/ivy. I keep it around, but the one time I did use it it only kinda sorta worked. For the price, you might want to stick with the old fels naptha method.

Lactaid. I can eat four-cheese pizza and wash it down with a half a gallon of milk and not get a massive case of the farts when I take this stuff.

Zicam/Cold-eze/Zinc. Nobody really knows why these are effective against the common cold but they are, especially the nasally introduced versions.

Feel free to add your favorites and experiences. I look forward to what everyone has to report.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,105 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 09:04 am
the only thing on the list i've tried is St. John's Wart(sic), and it does do something to my mood.

enhancing prolly ain't the right word for it... "smooths it out" is more accurate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:03 am
I take a multi-vitamin and a fish oil capsule every day but that's it so I'm not up to speed on any of this stuff. Still, I like home remedies better than medicine when applicable so I'll sit back to listen and learn.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 10:51 am
I take everything but Zanfal and Lactaid that is on your list, but I do drink Lactaid milk.

Glucosamine chondroitin is a blood thinner. When I was going in for a procedure, I had to stop it for a couple of weeks. I thought that I needed a lube job! Laughing After three days, the difference in how I felt was amazing. I could not wait to get back on to it.

When I feel that I am getting a cold, I take both a zinc tablet and an echinacea capsule. After a few minutes, I get kind of a sickly feeling, but within a half hour, I feel much, much better than before I took the pills. I think that I have stopped a number of colds dead in its tracks that way.

I use the High potency Capcaisin. It really does make a difference.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 Feb, 2007 01:56 pm
weve synthesized capsaicin years ago, and its the capsicum and methy salycilate they use in Ben Gay.

I always wondered how the FDA dint ever crack down on all the SLIMFASTS, "FAT BUSTERS" , HO-DI-A etc. Some of them , like ho-od-ia are merely cocaine-lite.
I think that Anna Nicoles death was somehow a OD reaction involving all that weight control **** she was hocking.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 07:26 am
Hoodia is coke-lite?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 10:01 am
Hmm, is your screen showing AUto Spam Filter?. Mine was originally until I respelled the term Hewdiiia.
0 Replies