Ionic air cleaners - healthy?

Chai

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 07:12 pm
I was going to get a small desktop model of the Ionic Breeze, but have done a little reading about hazards to ones breathing the ozone, plus of course danger to the environment.

Does anyone have one, or have any information on this? The one I'm looking at only covers 375 sq ft
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 785 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 07:30 pm
Consumer Reports rates the ionic breeze as about worthless. Sharper Image started a lawsuit over the statement. They later withdrew the suit. So, I doubt they clean much air. Ozone is toxic, but they don't really produce that much.

Doesn't help much, and doesn't hurt much. I guess I would leave it alone, unless you have really bad allergies that might be helped.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 07:38 pm
Chai, It's another marketing gimmick. Think about it; what does one do when we go outside - or to other buildings during most of the day? We are exposed to bacteria and dust 100 percent of our life - 24/7; localized air purification is a waste of time and money. A little common sense is all that's needed.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 05:28 am
yeah, I agree with you CI,

I was going to get it specifically for the mud room we keep the cats litter box in.
I've accumulated enough points on a credit card to get it for free, but I think I'll keep saving up for a new computer.

Anyone know of other systems that use air filters to clean a localized area?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 07:36 am
We researched one of those ozone-emitting "air filters" a while ago - the ozone is bad for pets, children, or people with breathing problems (e.g., asthma).

It does make the air smell nice, though.

As for the litterbox: We were very happy with the littermaid automatic cat litter box. Made things a lot easier with three cats.

Also, Glade Plug-Ins.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:26 am
DrewDad wrote:
We researched one of those ozone-emitting "air filters" a while ago - the ozone is bad for pets, children, or people with breathing problems (e.g., asthma).

It does make the air smell nice, though.

As for the litterbox: We were very happy with the littermaid automatic cat litter box. Made things a lot easier with three cats.

Also, Glade Plug-Ins.

Yeah, forget that ionic stuff.

Re the litter box, it gets cleaned twice a day, the thing is the urine. Even removing the clumps of wet litter, there's those stray grains that remain.

Even though it's clumpable little, we change the whole thing out regularly, so it's not like it's horrendous. I've just got a really sensitive nose.

Those automatic cat litter cleaner things? I have a feeling either one of them would immediately crap on the mechanism or something and just make a disgusting mess. Roland is like the houseboy in "The Bird Cage" and is always checking it out to see if anybody else made a mess, so he can get in there and dither about, cleaning it up. It's very upsetting to him.

Anyway, I googled the subject and came up with this Hamilton Beach Air Purifier that does use filters, but the unit is reasonable priced and on Amazon is got 72 ratings with an average of 4 and a half stars. Most of the reviews were about allergies, but several people mentioned pets too.

I'm going down to a CoinStar with a jar of quarters. They don't take a fee if you get a gift card, and I'll pick up an Amazon card. I think I've got about $100, and that's what the unit costs, so it's like free if you think of change as found money.

Oh honey, with my adversion to odor, you should go buy stock in neutra air, oust and frebreeze.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 08:51 am
Make sure you get a model with an activated charcoal filter. The regular air filters will do fine at filtering out dust and such, but odors require a charcoal filter.

We've had two automatic cat litter boxes. One lasted a year, the other two. (That's with three cats.)

We're postponing replacing it again, as we may be finding new homes for our kitties.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:00 am
ohhh....why?

(re the kitties)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 12 Feb, 2007 09:07 am
T has had to have sinus surgery twice in the last year; doctor is very adamant about eliminating these "toxic" animals....
0 Replies